anticapitalista
Site Admin
Will make changes to fluxbux base theme and wallpaper. I have removed noscript for the really you cite. Instead we have Flashblock which doesn't get in the way too much and is useful as it automatically stops flash ads/videos unless set otherwise. For old boxes with low RAM this should be enough and simpler than Noscript.
pbachert
Hello everyone,

I recently read a comparison between MacOS and Windows with regard to security. Apple was severely criticized for the firewall being switched off by default, and imho rightly so. Is there a reason for not switching on the firewall in Antix by default? First thing I always do is edit the firewall configuration.
I am sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Cheers
pbachert (who just managed as a semi-newbie to install Antix on an SD-card thanks to the forum)
gnomic
Hi again,

Just one more wee thing . . . __{{emoticon}}__ The pt1 base CD doesn't appear to eject as part of the shutdown procedure. It's always a nice to have, if you happen to have a spare moment. Maybe there are relevant scripts in Mepis, iirc those live CDs are expelled during shutdown.
gnomic
Hi there, suppose I am falling behind here as pt1 may be outdated but for the record.

I was booted live with the pt1-base CD and downloaded a Linux iso onto the live file system. Then I wanted to copy the iso onto a usb stick. This took an overly long time (15-20 mins for 110 MB approx) and I saw the following messages in a dialogue box from ROX-Filer.
cp: 'preserving permissions for /aufs/media/usbdrv/linux.iso' : Operation not permitted Failed to copy /home/demo/Downloads/linux.iso Done There was one error.

In fact the file was copied onto the usb flash drive and checksum was correct. CD burned and worked OK. The session was with the live CD loaded into RAM, a laptop with 1G RAM. No idea what this is about, just sending in case this info is useful.
masinick
I've been pretty quiet during the testing phase. Actually, that has been a good thing. Everything I have tried in this release has worked great. I've used FULL and CORE in my testing, and actually had an extended session with both over the weekend. If there are issues, they are not crossing any of the areas that I have been exercising. Those I've been able to talk into trying antiX have, without exception, been favorably impressed. The only people I seem to have difficulty convincing to try antiX are those who are averse to trying new things. Having IceWM as our default instead of Fluxbox (even though many of the veterans really like Fluxbox) has been a good move. It seems to make things easier for the relative newcomers, and the veterans don't have any problem shifting to Fluxbox (or even reordering things so that Fluxbox comes up as their first choice).

I may explicitly try a few more of the images to see if I've missed something, but as I say, everything I have tried has been superb. I am not at all surprised. BTW, I've been going with the Liquorix kernel, but on the MEPIS side of the equation, I've not had the problems with Warren's kernels that others have been encountering. IF I find anything in my last minute hunts, I'll let you know, but I think we have things pretty well in hand here. Keep up the GREAT work!