drg
Using –pt1-686 (full).
Have created ‘/media/floppy’ and added to /etc/fstab ‘/dev/fd0 /media/floppy vfat,ext2 noauto,users,exec,rw 0 0’ or ‘/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,users,exec,sync,rw 0 0’. Then in the console typed ‘mount /dev/fd0’.

So far I am able mount a floppy by using the console before logging in with slim.
Then started mc, navigated to /mount/floppy, and it mounted the floppy. Then back to gui, log in twice (explained why before).
Now rox-filer or pcmanfm might allow me to do the same mounting, but not always, sometimes yes or not. Sometimes as root, sometimes as user.
Went back to the console, can no longer successfully use the ‘mount /dev/fd0’or mc.
Erratic, or just me?
Skeeter
Can't get M11 to boot X from iso on my (desktop) system. Seems to be same problem I had when trying to update & dist-update 8.5. 8.5 works beautifully from iso and installed version is terrific, by the way! Upgrade from 8.5 results in corrupt display I've not been able to fix from CLI. Display ends up all squashed in about 5cm at the top of screen. This despite trying vga=normal at boot, and correcting the expired keys issue.
I've burned M11 iso (–pt1-686 (full) ) twice to make sure, but it does the same thing on boot-- CD drive stops after"starting hardware extraction layer HALD", operates intermittently, and eventually image appears squashed in a strip at screen top.
Any suggestions? Should I (a Noob for sure) just stick w/8.5 and wait for official stable release?
Thanks everybody for a wonderful dist!
secipolla
Go to the extra options in the CD menu and use the vesa one (or nv if you have an nvidia card).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Also try the boot cheat vga=788 or vga=791
trom
Re: Cheat codes

I confirm that with F2 left as default, but adding to boot :

Set time zone. TZ=Europe/Paris
Set language. lang=en
Set keyboard. kbd=fr

gave correct localisation for session login and live system.

Then I double checked and ran installer...

Installed system has English menus and French keyboard as needed, but not sure exactly which versions I have, you state :

> If your language is not in the menu, use the lang=xx and kbd=xx,yy cheats.

Are these listed and/or defined somewhere ? Some .h in sources perhaps ?

I recall seeing : azerty, fr, fr_pc when trying to fix M8.5 ( but they would never stick ! ) - are there subtle differences, like a euro symbol perhaps ?

Also does lang mean the same as localisation (or localization, if you prefer) i.e. can lang=en or en_GB or en_GB.UTF-8 - or does it just mean the menu language ?

Sorry, if I'm being pedantic - all in all it's a great improvement over M8.5 'cos it works !

Trom
gnomic
Have the base CD of v 11. The good news, it loaded and ran on a Compaq Armada E500 PIII/600 laptop with 320 MB of RAM, and the live session stayed up for 12 days with maybe 10 tabs open in Seamonkey. The touchpad however was very jittery. Synaptics I believe. Just now I am running on a ThinkPad Z60m, no problems seen so far. 1.86 gig Centrino w/1G RAM. Trackpad on this machine functions acceptably.

Just a couple of comments about the gui look - obviously this is a matter of personal taste to some degree but I am so over that rather odd image which is the current background and has been for some time. There seemed to be no alternative? Or at any rate I could not get an alternative background to appear on screen. I tried to set a new Fluxbox wallpaper but nothing happened. Maybe this is PEBCAK, but I don't think I saw this in the past. I would rather see the mountains over water image as default. Sunsetinfrontofme.

Also when did grey become the new black? What I find with the present setup is that title bars in particular are so vaguely defined that it's hard to know what window one is trying to work with or navigate to another window. One thing I do like in a gui setup is a CLEARLY DEFINED title bar. Any chance of doing something about this? New Year, new look? No chance of throwing in just a couple of other Fluxbox themes on the base CD? I tend to use live CDs much of the time so adding additional themes is not really an option.

Just a couple of initial thoughts. I'll try to run on a couple of other machines. I was impressed that I was able to have a web session and load up the browser without it falling over on a somewhat constrained machine like the E500. At the moment this has only Windows installed so no swap.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
gnomic, as far as fluxbox themes are concerned what do you suggest as default?

Question open to everyone of course.

trom, the installer language is set by the lang=xx option so as you chose lang=en all the menu files etc will be in English and it also sets the localisation (GB English here __{{emoticon}}__ )

If you want everything in French then lang=fr or lang=fr_FR sets the keyboard and locales to French.
rokytnji
gnomic, as far as fluxbox themes are concerned what do you suggest as default?

Question open to everyone of course.
As far as wallpaper goes for default fluxbox. I like the

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://bestfreewallpapers.net/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=10&sort_mode=created_desc&imageId=732&scalesize=600"
linktext was:"http://bestfreewallpapers.net/tiki-brow ... lesize=600"
====================================

Maybe with a white conky text. But that is just me Anti. I Use some of Sakasas old stuff also.

Hannes Worst
In the past I used Impuwats fluxbox-theme 'another_day' for quite a long time. It's colorfull, a bit different compared to the black/grey fluxbox-themes used in AntiX, and still has the antique look. One could call it 'retro' . I agree that a more colorfull look would be great.
Skeeter
Re: my"Can't get M11 to boot" above-- thanks secipolla & anti for your suggestions. Unfortunately these didn't work. I was puzzled why AntiX 8.5 iso booted beautifully but M11 bootcrashes. I made 8.5 CD using k3b in SuSE, but replaced SuSE with AntiX 8.5 so subsequent M11 CD was made with GnomeBaker in AntiX 8.5. On burn, GnomeBaker consistently reports:"wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK". This seems to match much-duplicated old bug report
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/k3b/+bug/149076"
linktext was:"https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/149076"
====================================
where iso's consistently fail to burn at 70-90% complete, and indeed, though md5 is fine on the download, all my 3 cd burn attempts have"input/output error" on md5 check.
1. Anyone have suggestions for fixing GnomeBaker? (8.5 provides 0.6.4-1 which is current).
2. cdrtools latest (formerly cdrecord, installed in 8.5 as only a"dummy") might help, but not in debian repos?
3. if this bug is the problem, wonder why there isn't more noise on the board about it?
4. re: above, maybe everyone uses wodim direct from CLI and that somehow skips the bug?
oldhoghead
Site Admin
skeeter,

I use

wodim --devices

to determine correct drive, then

wodim -sao speed=4 any.iso

(any.iso= whatever iso you want to burn)

then to check the md5sum

md5sum /dev/cdrom

with the cdrom being the correct drive from wodim --devices

cheers,
ohh
Skeeter
Thanks ohh. Wodim was defaulting to tao which produced bad burn. Now md5sums match, but:
1. Booting the CD with no added options produces a black screen X crash after HALD statement. (10cm strip of colour squashed into top of black screen). Have to pull plug to shut down.
2. Booting with vga=791 results in black screen with 2 small white dots at the top. Pull plug to shut down.
3. Booting with drvr=vesa option results in black screen with monitor info:"vesa: out of range signal-- cannot display this video mode. Change computer display input to 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz". (native for the monitor). Shutdown now possible with the computer's start button.
Surprising since 8.5 boots perfectly both from iso and from the install on the same machine/drive.
I'm thinking the burn is faithful, but since this behaviour is exactly what happens after an apt-get update /dist-upgrade to 8.5, (and also when using smxi) there's some sort of indigestion between my system and M11.
Any thoughts? Better to wait for official M11 release I guess...?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If you have the inclination, Skeeter, care to find out what exactly is causing this? I mean install antix-M8.5 in vitualbox for example and upgrade bit by bit to see where the issue is. I guess it is with xorg, but that is a guess.
gnomic
Hi anti,
Sorry I haven't responded to your response re my gray grizzle, internet access has been a bit restricted of late. I was using the 8.5 base CD last night and came upon a theme included with that I found usable and tasteful. Will have another look as I don't recollect the name right now, and get back soonish.
Thanks, gnomic

PS Increasingly impressed with antiX by the way - some months back I did some testing of various light distros on another old laptop and antiX was the overall winner. Confess to being a bit of a distrohopper but if this goes on I may even have to install antiX __{{emoticon}}__
gnomic
Hullo again (assuming I can be heard above the Deb 6 noise . . . .)

The flux themes I personally preferred in 8.5 base are Radiant-antiX, eco-green, and Debian. I find these more to my taste and more importantly more usable than the setup in the 11 pt1. I would also like to see some alternative wallpaper choice. (Assuming there is not a problem between chair and keyboard with accessing options already provided). I see there were a couple of suggestions in the thread above also.

By the way, could Noscript be a choice to enable, rather than be turned on by default? I appreciate the intention is to help make users safe, but the downside is that the internet is largely unusable with Noscript turned on, or at any rate lots of faffing about is needed. No doubt I should read the fine Noscript manual. Maybe some documentation on the live CD, some sort of brief numbskull's guide if such exists?

Hope this may be vaguely helpful. .