anticapitalista
Site Admin
First public test release of antiX-M11 series.

antiX comes in 3 flavours; antiX-full (c620MB), antiX-base (c310MB) and antiX-core (c110MB) for 686 and 486 (PI and K5/6) computers.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
====================================

Torrents:
url was:"http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrents&search=antiX&category=0&active=1&tracker=0"
linktext was:"http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... &tracker=0"

(Please seed)

xdelta patch available at mepisimo. It patches antiX-M11-full-beta1 to antiX-M11-pt1 (see post by oldhoghead below)

Built on 27 December 2010, antiX-M11-pt1 is an upgraded release of antiX-M8.5 as well as incorporating several changes since the release of antiX-M8.5 on 12 April 2010. We are still keeping with grub-legacy and the 2.6.32-1 MEPIS kernel at the moment.

Features:

* All applications upgraded via Debian Testing repositories to 27 December 2010.
* Bugs from antiX-M8.5 fixed.
* antiX-full now defaults to an icewm-rox desktop though other options are available in the boot menu.
* Chinese, Japanese and Korean fonts included in antiX-full, as well as ibus.
* no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is created by default, there is an option to create one by removing the noxorg cheat at boot.
* wallpaper is now set by feh and not nitrogen. The wallpaper application sets for icewm-rox, icewm, fluxbox-rox and fluxbox desktops. make sure you choose the correct one __{{emoticon}}__
* some new applications, replacements and removals. eg umt-panel2 (from aptosid) added for GPRS/UMTS/3G
* a basic cli-installer is included in all flavours. Useful for those with very little RAM.
* new icewm and fluxbox menu structure and better auto-update
* vim included
* further localisation 37 languages supported
* Installer available in English, Catalan, Czech,French, German, Dutch, Spanish, Hungarian, Portuguese(Brazilian), Ukrainian.
* new cheatcodes, see below.

New cheatcodes:

Set time zone. TZ=Continent/City eg TZ=Europe/Athens
Set keyboard. kbd=keyboard code(s) eg kbd=us,gr (US English and Greek)
Allow auto-detection for devices. noxorg used by default.
Disable hal and dbus. nohal

antiX defaults to a US keyboard and locales. To set others, press F2 at boot grub menu and set your language if available. It should carry over to install. If your language is not in the menu, use the lang=xx and kbd=xx,yy cheats.

Please test and post feedback here.
secipolla
anti, if possible could you upload a delta file from the first antiX11 beta to this one?
(I know there are many ISOs but in my case I ask for the 686-full)
Thanks.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Just a small niggle, the address for MepisLovers in IceApe still points to the old mepislovers forum.
Just now testing the livecd, looks good so far, only tried to boot with the vesa option(old intel graphics), will try the other boot options later today, got to get the kids back to the airport and off to Colorado.

cheers,
ohh
anticapitalista
Site Admin
scipolla, I have already deleted the iso files so I can't create the delta patch, sorry.

ohh - will fix the MEPIS forum address
secipolla
Looks good, anti.
I'm live in the full version.
I suggest that you include the block-advert script. It's very useful and works well. Unless you don't want to include it for some reason.
If it's ok, it has also a pt_BR version (both files are in the last three posts of post18675.html?hilit=#p18675 ).
You can find a desktop file for it at post18676.html#p18676

You could include bg, es, ko and pt_BR translations for gcolor2. They are patches sent to sourceforge.net and in the improbable event of the package being updated in Debian they would probably be included. They're in the attached file.

I suggest that you update adddesktop.sh replacing the path the files are created to from /usr/share/applications/ to /usr/local/share/applications/. This way people can use it to create custom desktop files without worrying that they will be overwriten by a package update. If you do so, remember of updating all localized versions too and update also the last message"Your .desktop file has been saved as\n /usr/local/share/applications/$FILE_SAVEFILENAME.desktop"
secipolla
Regarding browser links, the antiX link is pointing to antix.mepis.org and the updated page is antix.mepis.com. I also suggest that you use Dave's antiX startpage as Iceape's start page. All four of them are looking good, IMO.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Here is a link to a delta, if you have the antiX-M11-full-beta1-686.iso then you can use this delta to produce the
antiX-M11-pt1-686.iso instead of dl the whole iso.

The link:

url was:"https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-Kg3BXsy7MkNTljMDVkMTMtMzhkOC00NmI0LThhNjItYTFmODZkZmIwMmMz&hl=en&authkey=COShkZoG"
linktext was:"https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-Kg3B ... y=COShkZoG"

the format is:
xdelta patch patchname fromfile tofile

so you would in terminal as user run:

Code: Select all

xdelta patch antiX-M11-beta1-pt1.delta antiX-M11-full-beta1.686.iso antiX-M11-pt1-686.iso
cheers,
ohh
plvera
Downloaded and installed 686 full to usb and running it right now.

Had problems with wireless again (same as with beta) and had to connect with ethernet and use synaptic to install b43-firmware and then wireless was fine.

Since this is my first time with an usb-antix, I have a couple of questions:
1) icewm comes up as default. Any way to change that to flux?
2) Can I install from the usb (live?) to another partition of the usb?

thanks
Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
ohh - thanks for the delta patch. I'm uploading to the mepisimo site and will add it to the announcement.

secipolla -all good points and noted for the final. Will use Dave's start page and make the other changes in browser and to the adddesktop app.

pedro - 1) cheat is desktop=fluxbox (if you don't want Rox desktop, also add noRox cheat)
2) you can install from a live usb to anothe usb device. Not sure if you can install to a partition on the same usb stick.
rokytnji
you can install from a live usb to anothe usb device.
Is how I did it. I just formatted a 2gig Kingston Data traveler as Fat32 using Gparted which unmounted it. Then point antiX2usb from antix control center to the 2 gig Kingston (after downloading new iso to live running session usb drive).

Clear as mud I know. The persistent install reformats the destination stick again to ext2 (from fat 32). So one fat32 usb for destination persist usb. One live usb with downloaded iso also in /Downloads to install to persist drive also.

Downloaded using wget the new iso Anti. Still waiting to finish.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Sorry it is so slow roky. Too much Xmas turkey __{{emoticon}}__
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

Just installed pt1 to my usb hdd, noticed that when running the livecd, after install and also when just shutting down the livecd is not ejected.

I set up my timezone and other tweaks including wireless on livecd and they carry over to install, very nice __{{emoticon}}__

Still testing will follow up later.

cheers,
ohh
secipolla
The softpedia link in Iceape too points to the general page instead of to
url was:"http://linux.softpedia.com/"
linktext was:"http://linux.softpedia.com/"
(don't know if it's intentional or not).
wayne128
I downloaded the full iso, I do not use CD this time, instead I tried using unetbootin ( run in Linux OS) to prepare USB stick.
This procedure has been OK for antiX8.5, many other OSes and not long ago also work well on testing Mepis 11 alpha2,3. Running alpha 3 for some times after install onto desktop.

After preparing USB stick, here is prelim results

1. On intel i3 desktop, with broadcom BCM57788 gigabit NIC:
Cannot boot when selecting Desktop from unetbootin menu.
After selecting intel or some other menu, it boots up.
However no internet connection. Tried a few times, and observe display showing something like having issue loading tg3, the Linux driver for Broadcom BCM57788.

Attempt to just play some media files stored in USB drive and USB stick, having difficulty mounting USB drive as well as USB stick from either the file manager or the manual method ( SliTaz mounting method), what I saw is it seem to mount but when I click from file manager's left panel, there is no response on the USB drive/stick.
If I mount using command line mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt, I can list the files on /mnt directory.

No further testing yet

2. NEC laptop, this one have been running antiX8.5 plus other OSes.
Using the same USB stick, tried many different options from unetbootin menu ( default, desktop, netbook, intel, vesa, etc). cannot boot, same error :
can't find antiX filesystem and drop to very limited shell..

Thinking I had a bad download, do it second time and with same results.

My question: is this antiX 11 compatible with unetbootin?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
wayne, I don't use unetbootin, but I gave it a try and it didn't even boot to grub/syslinux screen on this box.
The antix2usb app works just fine here.

Use antiX2usb from the livecd of antiX-M8.5 if you still have it.