anticapitalista
Site Admin
Ready for testing.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/post-M8.2/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/post-M8.2/"
====================================

The main feature of this test release is to 'remaster on the fly' ie use the live usb with persist option, add/remove apps as you please and then install all that to hard disk. Changes should carry over (Changes in /home/demo might not).
Or run like puppy linux on a stick as live usb and changes will be saved if persist option is chosen.
Or simply install as usual.

Bugs from previous releases should be fixed, so no insserv errors and once installed enabling fast boot should work without error.
(#dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc)

Live boot should be faster than previous antiX.

Please test out the antiX2usb script and persistence.

New:
desktop=fluxbox cheatcode at boot menu.
antix2usb gui included. (as is the antix2usb-persist script written by BitJam)
gamix replaces aumix.
imagination slideshow added.
Localisation of antiX apps ie phonebook, mount app, mouse app.
sudoku game added.
sysv-rc-conf replaces rcconf.
geeqie replaces gqview.

Post feedback in this thread.

Added: Could users also try changing the dpi setting in /etc/slim.conf from 96 to 84 or even 72 - logout and let me know what you prefer (give specs via inxi -F). I am thinking of changing the dpi to 84, but would like feedback first.
lagopus
Great news!
Thanks for the sudoku game!

Question: this is a 8.5 test version: is this version synchronised with the development repos of Mepis 8.5 ? Will antix 8.5 final be released with Mepis 8.5 ?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Not really synchronised with MEPIS 8.5. In fact I doubt there will be a MEPIS 8.5 and instead it will be MEPIS 9.

There is a 2.6.32 MEPIS kernel waiting in the wings, but there is little point in installing it as the kernel headers cannot be installed so no accelerated drivers or virtualbox (amongst others).

So, no idea when antiX-M8.5 will be released viz-a-viz MEPIS 8.5. We'll see how things run.
dark-D
the md5sum for the full version isn't there. i can't wait to have a look.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Done ice-m.
secipolla
I use a small screen, I think is 15" at 1024x768 so 96 dpi is best. Smaller fonts are worse to read.
84 dpi I found that made undistinguishable difference in Control Center or Pcmanfm but in conky, the text inside geany and Icewm they got smaller, in the last two specially width wise (skinnier fonts).
72 dpi is too small for a monitor this size, IMO.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,

just dl the 8.5 full test1, running livecd now, intel problems still there with display, autores and 1024 x768 deliver small screen, only works with vesa & 1024x768.

antix2usb from >Favorite applications>System>antiX2usb choosing this with no thumb drive gives a pop up window reminding you that no drive is inserted, if you insert the drive then click ok, box disappears, nothing happens.
log out log in, insert thumb drive, click antiX2usb, box comes up for root password, enter pw, box disappears, nothing happens.
Run in terminal gksu antix2usb-gui.sh same request for admin pw, then nothing happens.
run as root in terminal antix2usb dialogue box pops up.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System:    Host mepis1 Kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5-test1 Marek Edelman 09 November 2009
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (UP) cache 2048 KB flags (sse2) bmips 3589.85 clocked at 1794.168 MHz 
Graphics:  Card Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device X.Org 1.6.5 Res: 1024x768@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A
Audio:     Card Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports 1c00 18c0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.17
Network:   Card-1 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
           Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection driver ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 82.1GB (0.4% used) 1: /dev/hda FUJITSU MHT2080AT PL 80.0GB 
           2: USB /dev/sda USB Flash Disk 2.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 102K (1%) fs: rootfs ID:swap-1 size: 4.34GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 90 Uptime 38 min Memory 159.0/993.2MB Client Shell inxi 1.2.5 

more later
cheers,
oldhoghead
lagopus
oldhoghead:
antix2usb from >Favorite applications>System>antiX2usb choosing this with no thumb drive gives a pop up window reminding you that no drive is inserted, if you insert the drive then click ok, box disappears, nothing happens.
log out log in, insert thumb drive, click antiX2usb, box comes up for root password, enter pw, box disappears, nothing happens.
I downloaded M8.5-test but don't have time to give it a try.
I use to run the script from a terminal as root.
Did not test it using gksu.
There is a log file under /tmp/ , does it show anything ?

The gui.sh script is rather convoluted: the script is called twice, once from the terminal - when I start from the command line - , and once again from a gtkdialog...
I'll have a look at it asap.

Yves
oldhoghead
Site Admin
lagopus,

Did not try to look at a log file, but the reason I used gksu, is that the menu for icewm looking at it in control center uses that dialogue to open antix2usb

Code: Select all

separator 
   prog"Meta Installer" - gksu install-meta
   prog"antiX2usb" - gksu antix2usb-gui.sh
}
will run the different iterations and see if the log file is helpful
lagopus
oldhoghead:

I understood that this was the way to start the script from the menu.
Unfortunately this does not work (for me).
The command
$ gksu antix2usb-gui.sh
fails.
In fact, the antix2usb-gui.sh is executed, and calls gtkdialog --progam=MAIN_DIALOG and exits immediately (no log at this stage).
In fact the control is passed to gtkdialog, Hence we have another shell started, that does not inherit the root privileges.

I have no solution at the moment... but the command line.

Thanks for reporting the bug!
Yves
oldhoghead
Site Admin
lagopus,

I tried a different method, seems to work on livecd, but don't know if it is acceptable for an install, but a temporary fix,

in terminal as root

visudo

added this line:

%users ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/antix2usb-gui.sh

went to control center and changed gksu to sudo, then the menu entry works

cheers,
oldhoghead
lagopus
Thanks oldhoghead for the feedback

I am working on a solution:
- the gtkdialog shell (the gui) is started as simple user
- on 'Apply', password is required to execute the antix2usb.sh
seems to work with su -c, I have to test it with gksu
masinick
I am grabbing the full version and I will install it sometime soon. Been packing and moving these past few weeks and just recently started a new job; had lost my home and found a job just in time to at least secure a clean place to live. Lost wireless during the move; I think a spike in power while moving appliances cost me my previous wireless router; replacing mine today did the trick.

Hope to have test info soon; never have had a major problem with antiX in the past.
eriefisher
Great to hear you back and rolling again Brian. Congratulations.

Back 8.5:

First live boot in VB. It booted very quickly to a nice desktop however I had no cursor, don't know why but I could not navigate. Had to shut down the virtual machine.

Moving on I created a usb stick with Lagopus' script wich booted perfectly on a acer acpire one. Once in X I noticed that I did not have tap or scroll on the touch pad. The rest of the desktop was pretty zippy and the few apps I tried opened and ran well. Cheese was the only one that had trouble, it crashed right after opening which is unusual since in 8.2 cheese worked great on another AA1.

Unfortunately I did not have more time to play but I will make sure I make some.
masinick
Thanks for the encouragement Erie.