Cuttlefish
Also noticed that I need to add
g++(>=4:4.4.3)

Looked in Synaptic and tried to install ,but it will not let me. I get this.

g++:
Depends: g++-4.4 but it is not going to be installed

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave
rokytnji

Code: Select all

harry@antiX1:~$ apt-cache policy gcc
gcc:
  Installed: 4:4.4.5-2
  Candidate: 4:4.4.5-2
  Version table:
 *** 4:4.4.5-2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
All I can think of is you need to do a apt-get update first before trying to install gcc.

I am also running

harry@antiX1:~$ apt-cache policy fluxbox
fluxbox:
  Installed: 1.3.1~dfsg1-1
  Candidate: 1.3.1~dfsg1-1
  Version table:
 *** 1.3.1~dfsg1-1 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
after last apt-get dist-upgrade since yesterday also.
Cuttlefish
Thanks rok.
I've got the same as you. I will try updating and see what happens.

Dave
Dave
I found that changing the /etc/apt/sources.list from testing to stable or from stable to testing helps on occasion. Be careful doing this though because it may drag more apps that you do not want or upgrade some that you do not want to upgrade
Cuttlefish
Thanks Dave.

That seemed to work! I changed my sources.list to TESTING, updated and got the driver I wanted. I did not dist-upgrade. Now I will change them back to SQUEEZE, update and hope for the best.

I wonder if I will need to do this for the final build? This is the first time I have ever had to do this.

Dave
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Dave, antiX is moving further from squeeze as time passes. So, there will be more instances of what you had to do if you keep to the squeeze repo. Squeeze will keep your install rock solid, but very quickly becoming"stale".
Cuttlefish
I never realized that antiX is so dynamic so quickly. Thanks for the explanation.

My system operates poorly with the stock Mesa video driver and is horrid with the ati prop. driver. By using"sgfxi -N radeon" I get what I need.

I have learned so much with antiX...Thanks again for a fine distro.
secipolla
I've installed it here.
The installer (minstall) is finely translated (to pt_BR). Only"Support antiX" was left in English ("Suporte o antiX").
In case the keyboard and locale settings in the installer are working now, they could default to something related to the language the installer is instead of 'us' and 'en_US'.

Tomorrow I'll try and translate the new antiX apps.
secipolla
wallpaper.sh translated to pt_BR
secipolla
antix-system translated to pt_BR

Note: it seems that line 469 in the original antix-system said

if ["$KEYBOARD" ="Leave default" ] ; then
and should say

if ["$KEYBOARD" ="false" ] ; then
secipolla
In user-management, line 379 says

<item>No User Selected</item>
and maybe should say

<item>No Group Selected</item>
The text messages pop-up when both selecting and deselecting the checkboxes; they should pop-up only when selecting them.
secipolla
In pt_BR menus (IceWM and Fluxbox),"Sistema de Informação" must be changed for"Informações do sistema".
secipolla
inxi-gui translated to pt_BR

Now some thoughts.
It doesn't look much simple to me both hardinfo and inxi-gui in the Control Center. Maybe leave only hardinfo and leave inxi-gui in the custom menu (Tools) as it's already.
Then grandr could leave the Session tab and go to the Hardware tab.

Anyway, hardinfo should rather be called 'Info and Benchmarks' instead of 'Manage Hardware'. In pt_BR that would be 'Informações e Testes'.
inxi-gui, if kept, would be 'Informações PC'.

grandr is losing its use isn't it? I mean it works with vesa and xorg drivers but I think it doesn't work with the kernel drivers. Just thinking, not much use.
susavane1
Hi anticapitalista,
I downloaded the new full version, burnt it and wanted to try in live mode, because after the upgrade from 8.5 the desktop cannot start any more, although I had run the sgfxi script and updated the graphics drivers without any error mesage. But the new version does not even open the boot screen. It stops immediately after starting. The photo of the screen is attached.
As well I wanted to try in another older computer, but not as old as the first one. There it starts the booting process, but after it stops. The second attached photo is from it. The system only starts from a newer machine with 1024 MB Ram and Nvidia graphics card. There it runs nicely, but I need it for my old machines. So what can I do now? Thanksfor your hepl in advance. Greetings, Susanne
__{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Howdy susavane1, I run AntiX 11rc1 on my IBM M41 Desktop that I am posting from right now. It is pretty old Desktop also.

Linux Version 2.6.37-0.dmz.5-liquorix-686
  Compiled #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 23 03:53:56 UTC 2011
   One 1.79GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 1.1GB RAM
   3588.25 Bogomips Total
      bikertest2
When you burnt and downloaded iso. Did you Md5sum check it and burn at slowest speed (for me that is 4x).
I also found that cdrw disks and my old boxes don't play well together. I had to use a cdr cd. That is all I can think of relating to your screenshots at the moment. Maybe Anti can provide something better.