anticapitalista
Site Admin
t
antiX-17-b3-full, base and core-libre versions available for public testing

* Beta3 has some bug fixes and a new kernel for 64 bit isos.
* Still systemd and libsystemd free
* eudev rather than udev

I have uploaded the base, net and core-libre versions for people to test. The base version includes IceWM and fits on a cd. No libreoffice though.

Known issues since a fix has still not been found.

* IceWM and jwm task bar icon for streamlight is half size
* IceWM themes do not increase size of icons
* Conky blur when switching themes in IceWM

Enjoy!

Get files from here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/antiX-17/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... /antiX-17/"
====================================

anticapitalista, 18 August 2017, Thessaloniki
dolphin_oracle
some quick comments.

1. nice name

2. no problems so far with ceni/networking or touchpad with the new kernel.

3. the large and medium icewm themes also produce graphical artifacts around the menu and tool bar graphics. the small ones do not. I've tested several. here's an example of icegil-dust medium. I guess that's an addition to the"known issue" , or maybe just another example of the same issue.

4. Manage Packages/cli-aptiX in Control Center (64 bit base iso) needs an icon.

Looking good.
eugen-b
I tried live-usb-maker and got an error with UEFI. I wanted to make a i386 live USB with MBR while on an installed and updated antiX-17-b1

Code: Select all

sudo live-usb-maker
===============================================================================
Starting live-usb-maker
===============================================================================
Only one target usb device was found sdd  3.8G General UDisk
Will use target device sdd

Please select what action to perform                                                   
= Make a full-featured live-usb                                                        
> Make an encrypted full-featured live-usb                                             
> Make a customized live-usb (includes encryption option)                              
> Update UUIDs on an existing live-usb                                                 
> Update boot parameters on an existing live-usb                                       
> Reinstall legacy bootloader on an existing live-usb                                  
Press <Enter> to select the highlighted entry                                          
Use 'h' for help, 'r' to redraw, 'q' to quit                                           

Please select the source for the new live-usb                                          
= Copy from an ISO file                                                                
Please enter the filename                                                              
(tab completion is enabled)
/mnt/ISO/antiX-17.b3_386-full.iso
You entered: /mnt/ISO/antiX-17.b3_386-full.iso                                                                                                                                  
Is this correct?                                                                       
= yes                                                                                  
> no                                                                                   
Will use source file /mnt/ISO/antiX-17.b3_386-full.iso                                 
Distro: antiX-17.b3_386-full Heather Heyer 18 August 2017

Total   Used  Extra
   entire drive  3,840  3,839      1  MiB
 main partition  3,789    795  2,994  MiB
 uefi partition     50     11     39  MiB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ready to make live-usb on device sdd
... by copying file /mnt/ISO/antiX-17.b3_386-full.iso
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shall we begin?                                                                        
= yes                                                                                  
> no                                                                                   
> pretend mode                                                                         
=> partition-clear                                                                     
=> partition-make
Using msdos partitioning
=> makefs-bios
=> makefs-uefi
Error: Could not mount /dev/sdd2 at /run/live-usb-maker/uefi

live-usb-maker took 45 seconds.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Can you check by disabling automount in the control centre before running live-usb-maker
eugen-b
anticapitalista wrote:Can you check by disabling automount in the control centre before running live-usb-maker
Did it now, got the same issue, exactly the same output.
dd works and the resulting live USB boots on my VIA machine, but openchrome driver doesn't get selected, vesa driver gets selected. Edit: Boot parameters via.modeset=0, nomodeset, xorg=openchrome get the screen stuck on black screen with a _ .
antiX used to work with that funky machine.
dolphin_oracle
@eugen-b - are you by any chance running the installed system in virtualbox? i can duplicate your error when trying to access the iso across a fuse filesystem, like the virtualbox host folder sharing system. The exact same setup on real hardware worked fine for me.
BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote:@eugen-b - are you by any chance running the installed system in virtualbox? i can duplicate your error when trying to access the iso across a fuse filesystem, like the virtualbox host folder sharing system.
Was there an error message in the log file? Do you know of a way around this problem or a way to detect if it is going to happen? Also, the iso file mounted okay for eugen-b. The problem was mounting the 2nd partition of the live-usb which is strange since the first partition seems to mount okay.

@eugen-b, same question. Is there an error message in the log file when this error occurs? The log file is at /var/log/live-usb-maker.log. You can also get a lot more output to the screen with the -VV (--very-verbose) option which should give you all of the commands that are run along with their output.

BTW: you can have live-usb-maker temporarily disable antiX automounting with the --force=automount option but this really shouldn't be needed (unless there is a bug). We now wipe out the superblock area of each partition *before* we create it which makes it impossible for anything to get automounted before we create the new file systems.

It is possible this is a hardware problem with the usb stick since the UEFI partition is by default put at the end of the device. You could try selecting the"Make customized live-usb" option which allows you to set the amount of the usb device we use (among other things). If you set it to the smallest size possible and it works then it is almost certainly a hardware problem.
eugen-b

20 Aug 2017, 08:43 #8

dolphin_oracle wrote:@eugen-b - are you by any chance running the installed system in virtualbox? i can duplicate your error when trying to access the iso across a fuse filesystem, like the virtualbox host folder sharing system. The exact same setup on real hardware worked fine for me.
No, antiX install is on btrfs in a subvolume, the ISO is on a XFS partition. I will check what happens if it is on the same partition. I tried two different USB sticks.
@BitJam, here are the contents of /var/log/live-usb-maker.log
url was:"https://hastebin.com/agiqeraziz.sql"
linktext was:"https://hastebin.com/agiqeraziz.sql"
BitJam
eugen-b wrote:@BitJam, here are the contents of /var/log/live-usb-maker.log
url was:"https://hastebin.com/agiqeraziz.sql"
linktext was:"https://hastebin.com/agiqeraziz.sql"
Thanks eugen-b. Here is the error message. I've never seen it before:

mount: /dev/sdd2: more filesystems detected. This should not happen,
       use -t <type> to explicitly specify the filesystem type or
       use wipefs(8) to clean up the device.
As the error message says, I can probably fix this by specifying the filesystem type. I also want to see if I can improve the situation by enlarging the area I wipe when I clear out any possible previous file system.

I've attached a small tarball containing live-usb-maker.v12 and live-usb-maker.v13. The v12 version enlarges the area on the disk that I wipe while the v13 version specifies the file system types explicitly. If you download the attachment and run:

tar xzf live-usb-maker-v12-v13.tar.gz
then the executable scripts live-usb-maker.v12 and live-usb-maker.v13 should appear in your current directory. You can run them like this:

sudo ./live-usb-maker.v12
sudo ./live-usb-maker.v13
I'd like to know if either one of them (or both of them) fix the problem. I don't know why you are seeing this consistently while no one else is. I want to make sure I fix the problem but I need your help in testing. We just sort of guessed at the size=128 number, it was twice the size of the largest superblock we knew of. But it is very strange that this would be the problem because it is extremely unlikely there would be a different file system located at the same location on the usb device. There is still a lot I don't understand but let's see if we can fix it anyway.
dolphin_oracle
FWIW, attached are my log files from my virtualbox attempts. looks like a different issue perhaps. as you surmised, having the iso over the shared virtualbox folder does not seem to be an indicator. however, I still can't make a bootable iso from virtualbox, except for clone mode when booting from a liveCD/iso in VB. Clone mode worked fine. The clone mode log is not in this file as that log was lost upon reboot.

*edit* update - clone mode in VB only works for me on a 64 bit VB session.
BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote:FWIW, attached are my log files from my virtualbox attempts.
Thanks! I was able to replicate the error you got inside of Virtual Box and I've got a fix. Add these two wait_for_file commands before the my_mount commands near line 721:

wait_for_file $BIOS_DEV
    my_mount $BIOS_DEV $BIOS_DIR

wait_for_file $UEFI_DEV
    my_mount $UEFI_DEV $UEFI_DIR
These my_mount() calls also got modified to try to fix eugene-b's problem.
dolphin_oracle
BitJam wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:FWIW, attached are my log files from my virtualbox attempts.
Thanks! I was able to replicate the error you got inside of Virtual Box and I've got a fix. Add these two wait_for_file commands before the my_mount commands near line 721:

wait_for_file $BIOS_DEV
    my_mount $BIOS_DEV $BIOS_DIR

wait_for_file $UEFI_DEV
    my_mount $UEFI_DEV $UEFI_DIR
These my_mount() calls also got modified to try to fix eugene-b's problem.
great! that did the trick for the VB stuff. Thanks!
eugen-b
@BitJam, v12 fails the same way as described, but v13 proceeds without the error.
BitJam
Thanks d_o!

Thanks eugen-b!
It looks like we have a fix but I'd like to better understand the problem. At the risk of sounding like an optometrist, I would like you to try a few more things.

1) After running one of the versions that fails, what is the output of this command:

sudo wipefs -n /dev/sdb2
Here, on a working live-usb I get:

offset               type
----------------------------------------------------------------
0x1fe                PMBR   [partition table]

0x36                 vfat   [filesystem]
                     LABEL: antiX-uefi
                     UUID:  E9C3-20A7
2) Also after a failure, please take a look at the output of"dmesg" command or upload it so I can take a look. Here is how I like to view the output:

dmesg --color=always | less -R
You can also get to this via the antiX-cli-cc command -->"System Information" -->"dmesg". You can save the output to a file (with colored text) using:

dmesg --color=always > dmesg.out
This is a longshot but it might provide a hint as to why most people aren't running into this problem.

3) Finally, please try version 14 that I've attached and see if that works. In it I call wipefs after manually clearing each file system.
eugen-b
Ok, I will try the steps so you get more info.

About openchrome, I got it loaded with boot parameters xorg=openchrome via.modeset=0; It produces a clear and correctly resolved (1366x768) mouse cursor, but everything else is completely distorted, almost white noise.

I found my post here post50349.html#p50349 about testing antiX-17-alpha2 with kernel 4.9.6. I don't remember if any newer versions worked on that machine.

Root and home persistence work, Wifi (Ralink) and ethernet, too.

Edit: Adding blacklist viafb to /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf persistently (checked the file upon reboot) didn't change anything. Will now try to install another kernel and remaster (first time for me).