dolphin_oracle
BitJam wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:*edit* update - clone mode in VB only works for me on a 64 bit VB session.
Clone mode with antiX-17.b3_386-full worked here. Whether you are cloning or copying from an iso file the mount error can still be an issue (perhaps sporadic). The wait_for_file() fix should work. Do you have any other issues with live-usb-maker? I really appreciate your feedback.
Sorry, I think some messages crossed. Cloning now works with the"wait_for_file" fixes. I just tried with your v14 script.
skidoo
About 2yrs back, I requested addition of an early bailout opportunity in the persist-save gui workflow and Bitjam added it.
The early dialog simply (and perhaps confusingly) presents"Shall we proceed?" along with OK/Cancel buttons.

I had intended to followup locally (in order to avoid creating a translation burden) by injecting text into that dialog,
encouraging users to shutdown web browser, SaveAll any open WIP documents before proceeding...

...but was (am) stymied howto inject an additional textbox into the yad dialog.
I'm now posting to suggest/request utilizing a different widget instead of
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/Persist-Scripts/blob/master/bin/persist-save#L45"
linktext was:"noisy_yes_no_box()"
====================================
for that dialog.
Which widget, idunno.
url was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/antix-libs/blob/master/lib/antiX/antiX-gui-cli.sh#L142"
linktext was:"info_box()"
seems to provide only OK button, no cancel button.

The revised dialog could avoid introducing translation burden by repurposing the"Shall we proceed?" string as the dialog's title
and using an empty string or space character as generic/placeholder content for the added text field.
BitJam
@eugen-b:
eugen-b wrote:Yeah, I edited xorg.conf on my installed system.
Good to know. Thanks!
I tried to edit it on the live system persistently, but it looks like it gets recreated on every boot.
At the top of the auto-created xorg.conf is this comment:

Code: Select all

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# xorg.conf file
#
# Generated by make-xorg-conf sometime around Mon Aug 21 17:34:30 MDT 2017
#
# If you want to save customizations, delete the line above or this
# file will get automatically deleted on the next live boot.
If removing the"Generated" like doesn't prevent us from over-writing it then please report this as a bug.

If you want xorg.conf to be preserved across reboots on a live-usb even without persistence enabled then uncomment the following line in /live/antiX/state/machine-state-files.

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf
This should allow you to preserve *different* xorg.conf files for different machines. It will also work for saving xorg.conf on just one machine.
Here is the output you wanted
Thanks!
BitJam
@dolphin_oracle:
dolphin_oracle wrote:Sorry, I think some messages crossed. Cloning now works with the"wait_for_file" fixes. I just tried with your v14 script.
Excellent! I just wanted to make sure we had covered everything.
BitJam
@skidoo:
skidoo wrote:One cosmetic issue I screencapped ~~ odd wordwrap due to a too-small dialogbox
Thanks!
thriftee
If any help is needed to debug or test the GRUB to EFP install problem on a 64 bit EFI machine, send me a message or post.

PS: I was able to install and boot Debian 9.0 amd64 to EFI successfully to the same machine. I chose Gnome, but but not a fan of it after seeing it, and would much prefer an IceWM or OpenBox type interface.
eugen-b
A feature request for cli-aptiX: Allow uninstalling packages. If the feature is available it is not easy to find.
Otherwise the tool is working pretty well.
Jerry
Just moved to b3, no change from b2 in the 20-30 sec lag running update/upgrade. This is not a system problem.

$ inxi -N
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
Will look at everything more closely, but noticed that right-clicking the Live desktop > Run, and entering ceni and checking Run as root produced nothing. Also trying Run in terminal (which gives Roxterm error) by itself, and also along with Run as root. EDIT: same situation with installed.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
jerry - try ceni in the control centre and choose auto rather than hotplug. Any better?

Also, are you sure it is not a router issue? On a working ok box, did you make any changes to /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf or /etc/network/interfaces?

Does setting up networking via wicd produce the same delay?

eth wired or wireles issue or both?
BitJam
eugen-b wrote:A feature request for cli-aptiX: Allow uninstalling packages. If the feature is available it is not easy to find.
Otherwise the tool is working pretty well.
Thanks! Will do.
thriftee
I found a workaround for the UEFI boot problem.

I installed Debian 9.0 (it loaded grub to EFI), then AntiX17b3 x86_64, but didn't install grub, then rebooted to Debian and did update-grub to get it to add AntiX17b3 x86_64 to the grub menu. I can now boot normally to Windows 10, Debian 9.0 amd64 or AntiX17b3 x86_64
eugen-b
I edited the xorg.conf on persistent live USB and now the screen is fine

demo@antix1:~
$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# xorg.conf file
#
#
# If you want to save customizations, delete the line above or this
# file will get automatically deleted on the next live boot.

Section"Monitor"
    Identifier"Monitor0"
    Option"DPMS""true"
EndSection

Section"Device"
    Identifier"Device0"
    Driver    "openchrome"
EndSection

Section"Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Device         "Device0"
#    DefaultDepth    16
#    SubSection"Display"
#        Modes"1280x1024""1333x768""1024x768""800x600"
#    EndSubSection
EndSection
I had to remove the line with"# Generated by ...". I also removed the cheat codes xorg=openchrome and via.modeset=0.
BitJam
eugen-b wrote:I edited the xorg.conf on persistent live USB and now the screen is fine
Excellent!
eugen-b
I had an issue with some"higher quality" videos. The video played with mpv (or mplayer as well) was much slower than audio. I was not able to resolve it with drivers, xorg.log tells for example
[ 91.802] (WW) CHROME(0): [XvMC] XvMC is not supported on this chipset.
and
url was:"https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Openchrome/Configuration/"
linktext was:"https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Opench ... iguration/"
says it is all quite difficult with video playback.
Anyway, I found a solution. A delay by mpv --audio-delay=5 '/path/to/file/A_nice_video.mp4' works, but it is actually the video speed which is slow, too. What works is
mpv --framedrop=decoder '/path/to/file/A_nice_video.mp4'
, the video stutters a bit, but it stays in sync with audio.
I will add this option to ~/.config/mpv/

EDIT: xine player might prove an even better solution. However, when I launch it from terminal with xine -V xxmc '/path/to/video.mp4' I get a flawless playback. But when I set it to use xxmc in its configuration it has the same problems with slower video as other players.
Last edited by eugen-b on 23 Aug 2017, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry
anticapitalista wrote:jerry - try ceni in the control centre and choose auto rather than hotplug. Any better?

ceni works fine from the menu or the CC, just not from a desktop right-click. Is it just me?

Also, are you sure it is not a router issue? On a working ok box, did you make any changes to /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf or /etc/network/interfaces?

Router works fine for everything else in the house, including an MX-16.1 installation on the same box. No manual changes necessary

Does setting up networking via wicd produce the same delay?

Yes

eth wired or wireles issue or both?

Wireless only one tried, will test wired later today
I've given up on solving that delay. The ceni-on-the-desktop thing is curious, but if it can't be replicated.then just move along, nothing here to see.