antiX-23 (Arditi del Popolo) is a new release based on Debian bookworm.
As usual we offer the following completely systemd-free and elogind-free flavours for both 32 and 64 bit architecture. Available iso files for sysVinit or runit.
antiX-full (c1.7GB) – 4 windows managers – IceWM (default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm plus full libreoffice suite. x64 versions come with 2 kernels. Legacy 5.10 and Modern 6.1
antiX-base (c1GB) – 4 windows managers – IceWM (default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm.
antiX-core (c520MB) – no X, but should support most wireless.
antiX-net (c220MB)- no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build.
(If using core or net versions, to connect to the Internet, you might need to type as root user ifup eth0 or ifup eth1 or if using core – type ceni)
The 32 bit version uses a non-pae kernel.
Note: After installation of antiX-23_x64-full editions, the default kernel will be Modern 6.1 even if Legacy 5.10 was booted during the live boot.
IMPORTANT IF INSTALLING GRUB TO UEFI/ESP
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
This will update the gui and cli installers and bring in missing efivar and efibootmgr
sudo apt update && sudo apt install efivar efibootmgr
antiX-23.1 will have this fixed
On antiX-base versions:
1. the browser may not open from the menu or toolbar/taskbar.
Fix: Open Control Centre > Preferred Applications > Web-browser > Select first SeaMonkey option > Apply
2. ps_mem.py tool doesn’t open
Fix: sudo apt install python-is-python3
1. The default repos for antiX and Debian are reported to be extremely slow.
Use Repo-Manager in full versions or manually edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list to a more reliable one.
* Based on Debian 12 (Bookworm), but without systemd/libsystemd0 and elogind/libelogind0.
* eudev instead of udev
* Customised 5.10.188 kernel
* Customised 6.1.42 kernel (x64 full only)
* libreoffice 7.5.5-4
* firefox-esr 102.14.0esr-1 on antiX-full
* seamonkey 2.53.17 on antiX-base
* claws-mail 4.1.1-2
* cups for printing
* pipewire/wireplumber on full editions
* alsa on base and core editions
* xmms -for audio
* celluloid and mpv – for playing video
* smtube – play youtube videos without a using a browser
* qpdfview – pdf reader
* App Select – Much more than a launcher app.
* User Language – set up localisation of popular apps eg Libreoffice
* No snaps (systemd) and no flatpaks (elogind)!
So what do we have.
File managers and desktop:
Convert your video and audio files with:
Connect to the net with:
* gnome-ppp (if you are still on dial-up)
Tools for remastering and creating snapshots of installed system:
* remaster tools
* Package Installer
* Network Assistant
* User Manager
* Package Installer
* Repo Manager
* ddm-mx – install nvidia drivers
* hexchat – gui chat
* luckybackup – excellent backup tool. There’s nothing lucky about it!
* simple-scan – for scanning documents
* transmission-gtk – torrent downloader
* wingrid-antix – turn the stacking window managers into tilers.
* Xfburn for burning cd/dvd
* connectshares-antix for network shares
* droopy-antix – an easy way to transfer files over the net.
* mirage – image viewer
* antiX Control Centre – an easy way to do just about anything!
* streamtuner2 – listen to streaming radio
* cherrytree – note taking application
Why not try out our included ‘cli’ apps:
* Editors: nano and vim-tiny
* Newsreader: newsboat
* Chat: irssi
* Audio player: mocp
* Radio: pmrp
* Video player: mpv
* Youtube video: ytfzf
* Torrent: rtorrent
* Cd burner: cdw
* Repair: Chroot Rescue Scan
* zzzFM/IceWM default ‘desktop’
* IceWM Control Centre
* New wallpaper and themes
* Onboard virtual keyboard
* magnus – screen magnifier
* Deb Installer – easily install debs from outside the repos.
Cool in-house antiX apps available in the repos:
* 1-to-1-voice-antix – Voice chat between two pcs via encrypted mumble
* 1-to-1-assistance-antix – Remote access help application
* ssh-conduit – Remote resouces via an ssh encypted connection
Many thanks to all the contributors, supporters, and antiX enthusiasts.
Special thanks to:
* all alpha and beta testers
* PPC for numerous user improvements
* forum members Masinick, christophe, caprea, olsztyn, Xunzi_23, madibi, BobC, sybok, techore, rokytnji, calciumsodium, RJP, madanadam, blur13, fladd and anyone else I might have missed for helping out at the forums and/or writing scripts/apps for antiX
* stevesr0 for alpha testing pipewire and wireplumber
* abc-nix for runit improvements
* Sakasa for default wallpaper
* Freja for one-point and Beta-inspiration wallpaper
* AK-47 for further impressive work on the installer’s extended features
* fehlix for improvements to our already wonderful antiX live system.
* dave for tireless work keeping the antiX repos going and up to date
* peregrine for all the work on the website
* BitJam for developing the antiX live system and build system and making antiX what it is today
* all translators. Special mention to Kempelen, verdy, marcelocripe, Wallon and Robin for rightly insisting on supporting localisation and putting it into practice
anticapitalista, 28 August 2023, Thessaloniki