dolphin_oracle
The pinboard is the icons on the desktop that you can place there to click and run an application. Both rox and spacefm have pinboards. I do understand rox's, with exception to how to get a background to work at the same time or change the background, and spacefm's I don't understand at all.
I can help with that confustion, at least a little.

spacefm's is not a pinboard. its a representation of the desktop folder, found in /home/user/Desktop. The spacefm desktop is more like a windows desktop, where you can store files and such, and not just links like the rox pinboard. If you open the desktop folder, you will fine launcher files (.desktop files) for the items found on the default spacefm desktop.
thriftee
rokytnji wrote:To cut thriftee some slack. Here is my built from scratch LXDE AntiX I made from core ages ago.
It should answer some of the questions he/Cusco is posing about ram usage. My inxi and screenshots should
clear things up a little.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31202"
linktext was:"http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31202"
====================================

That core install is gone. I put that hard drive in my IBM T23 laptop for testing AntiX 14 a5.
Michael,

When you install a desktop"on core", I think it means that he didn't have the antiX X windows desktop. Depending on what the LXDE option installed and configured, it might use a lot or a little memory. My experience has been that LXDE environments are typically well over 100 mb of memory at minimum.

The other thing is that getting openbox to work as another desktop option for AntiX means that it needed to be an interchangeable piece to the system. I couldn't go tweaking memory usage or which or how programs are called on it because it might negatively affect one of the other desktop options or people running them. The volume icon and use of wicd are examples of things that I wouldn't need running on my systems to save memory.

In general, if you are running on a very low memory machine, JWM or IceWm are better desktop options, but if you have 1gb+ you can run any of them comfortably and still have many browser tabs and programs running without getting into swap. Any of the 3 with antiX are much more efficient than running the same machine with Windows Vista for internet use.

PS: I noticed the LXDE meta package does not include their panel, and I looked, but I don't see a window manager in the dependencies, either. Perhaps it is a dependency of one of the other dependencies or something of that nature. When I see LXDE, typically I see it with openbox and the lxpanel, but it doesn't look like that is required. I almost downloaded the core, added the X, and the LXDE to find out, but I'll leave that to you, as you might guess, my machines are too memory strapped to run LXDE in the real world.
skidoo
You can read here that LXDE considers openbox to be their"recommended" window manager, and that they emphasize their desktop components
will also work fine with iceWM and fluxbox

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://lxde.org/lxde"
linktext was:"http://lxde.org/lxde"
====================================

Most of the LXDE components are"loosely coupled" and can be used ala carte to create a customized desktop environment.
For instance, although I might say"I typically choose fluxbox", that's an incomplete description of
my"desktop environment" until I also explain that I install and use lxterminal and lxappearance and mate-system-monitor and...
thriftee
Me too, skidoo. lxtask also...

And I have dreams of hacking code out of lxpanelctl, LOL
dolphin_oracle
of course lxappearance is the gtk theme app by default in anitX.

I also use lxpolkit (authenticator) on my antiX-core built up system.
thriftee
Yes, last night, I ALMOST got to installing core and trying to add on X and LXDE, but then I came to my senses....

I tried the LXDE version of Jessie, and it was way too much for my old slugs...