thriftee
got volwheel installed. it was a pita to install

its working took about 12 mb of memory

it amazes me that something so simple needs 12 mb

I think I will just leave volumeicon in unless you devs want to save 6 or 8 mb of memory on all the desktops, in which case I can give you what I have on it.

I have added keyboard mappings to amixer the same as used in the IceWM setup to raise and lower volume, as well as to toggle mute, and added them to my helpkeys.txt. All of the volume icon thingies can be turned off if anyone wants or needs to save the memory.
thriftee
I think at this point that I have it working well.

1. What is the best way to get the changes over to a fresh install to retest?

2. What is the best way to give them to you so others can try and test, etc?
skidoo
Could forego the tray widget altogether and just have vol+ / vol- / mute keybinds displayed by conky.
thriftee
Yes, But the conky is for all desktops and they might not all have the keys redefined the same

Its definitely not the normal keys for that per my laptop manuals

On my laptops its
Fn+KP page up = vol + = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
Fn+KP page down = vol - = XF86AudioLowerVolume
Fn+KP end = Toggle Mute = XF86AudioMute

But my thought is that it should be the same on all the desktops as much as possible because we are giving people the option of switching at any time

I believe there is some X windows standard name of some sort, also, look at keybindings section here

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/openbox"
linktext was:"https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/openbox"
====================================
SamK
thriftee wrote:Maybe the answer on the volumeicon is to provide an easy way to turn it off to save the 11 mb of memory...
You might be trying to hit a moving target. A quick look at four systems running 13.2-Stable shows the RAM used by volumeicon varies between 7.5MB and 9.5MB. Significantly less than 11MB so it looks likely to vary from system to system.
thriftee
SamK wrote:
thriftee wrote:Maybe the answer on the volumeicon is to provide an easy way to turn it off to save the 11 mb of memory...
You might be trying to hit a moving target. A quick look at four systems running 13.2-Stable shows the RAM used by volumeicon varies between 7.5MB and 9.5MB. Significantly less than 11MB so it looks likely to vary from system to system.
I'm not worrying about that. Its out of the scope of what I worked on. What I need is to know what the easiest way to get this to where it can be tested is...
Dave
I usually take the files that I have edited and put them into a tar.gz file with the same directory structure. So if the file was / etc / desktop - session / desktop - session.conf then I would place it in /home/user/tar-file/ etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf and make the tarball. Tar -cf tar-file.tar tar-file. Gzip tar-file.tar.

Lately though I have been moving the files to github rather than the tarball. But it is the same method really.
thriftee
Dave wrote:I usually take the files that I have edited and put them into a tar.gz file with the same directory structure. So if the file was / etc / desktop - session / desktop - session.conf then I would place it in /home/user/tar-file/ etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf and make the tarball. Tar -cf tar-file.tar tar-file. Gzip tar-file.tar.

Lately though I have been moving the files to github rather than the tarball. But it is the same method really.
You do know this is the first time I've attempted anything like this, so keep trying to be clear and patient, please.

LOL, and I know this isn't funny, but I haven't a clue how to work tar, but I think what I did is approximately what you are suggesting. I made a folder called antixopenbox and its as though it was the / directory and everything under it is what I changed in the relative places to where they were copied from. I will make a copy of the stuff and try your instructions. I would prefer that over github till I have a better warm fuzzy feeling that I'm doing things right.

Packages needed were:
openbox
openbox-menu
obmenu
obconf
tint2

and after those are installed on top of a base system, then my files would need to be overlaid.

One thing I don't really know is where the files I started with came from, and how do we go about overlaying the skeleton files as well as the files in the current user's directory given that *I* don't know who that current user will be. My authorities won't be right either, I wouldn't expect.

So, should I just try to find the original file and overlay it with mine? That would seem logical, but if the system has already created files, they will need to be overlaid, and I don't know how that gets done.

Anyway, because I pulled a copy of it all off to the side similar to your idea, it should be straightforward. Also, on my machine, i loaded a 2nd partition with 14.3a same as the first I started with, and have installed the packages above, but done nothing else, so its in the state it would be after the apt-get od a"meta" package that would include all those packages, and I just need to see how to layer mine on top... Or are you planning to do that part? I'll go play with the tar baby, LOL.

Maybe I should make the file with what i have and let you look at it to decide what/how to do, etc?

PS: OK, I figured out where everything must have originated and got it there, relatively, in my tar-file directory, and made a copy of it all, and now will make a tar and a zip of the tar of it, and then will try to attach it to this post
thriftee
Ok, here is your zip of the tar file.

To get this done was my birthday present for ME, lol

Oh, forgot to ask... How would I test installing this?
Last edited by thriftee on 30 Dec 2014, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
SamK
thriftee wrote:I'm not worrying about that. Its out of the scope of what I worked on.
Not sure what the purpose of trailing alternatives to volumeicon is. I took it to be a search for one with a reduced RAM requirement.
thriftee
Samk,

My older machines are very limited, memory wise, and so if I see anything eating a lot of memory for little gain, I naturally look for ways to reduce consumption.

At this point, I have found a number of ways to still provide the functionality using 0 memory by commenting out 1 line in / etc/desktop-session/startup, 2 clicks of the mouse, or by adding a killall volumeicon to my personal menu, and since too many people would want the feature still there regardless of the 10 or 20 mb, I just decided it wasn't worth spending more than 1 night on that particular quest.

I found myself getting distracted from the overall goal of getting an Openbox environment with other features that people might like, up running, tested and available, and since I'd found a number of simple cures already, I decided to move on.
SamK
thriftee wrote:I found myself getting distracted from the overall goal...
Avoiding mission-creep is not always easy to do.
thriftee
I looked at the jwm meta package and it scares me that there were so many thing included with it compared to with what i needed to add for openbox with a tint2 panel.

btw, I did try fbpanel, but it was not already on the machine for any of the other desktop flavors, and it used more memory than tint2, so I removed it.
skidoo
oops, sorry, i thunked fbpanel was already in place and was used for the antix fluxbox desktop.
thriftee
Nope, the system had fluxbox, but not fbpanel. Anyway, tint2 is much lighter.