thriftee
It would have been better if I could have just been able to ask for any of *UP TO* to 3 field values, ie, name, icon *or* name, execute, icon *or* name, name, icon and I solved it by initializing the execute field the same as the name field and then adding an if DESKTOP-CODE <> 'openbox' to run the existing code, and an else branch to take care of openbox needing the 3 fields of output. I haven't done any other window manager menus except IceWM and Openbox, so I really don't know what other things they might require, and would guess you'll find out if you try another WM.

*I* didn't enable anything, but I did go back to slim and select openbox there and have been switching back and forth betweem WM's to see how things appear and make sure things are right
thriftee
Hmmmm, the tint2 isn't allowing me to put in launchers... That's what is used to create the start button. I have it working under Manjaro. It appears people have it working under Crunchbang, so I may compare to see if its the same code here...
thriftee
Ok, got tint2 with an antiX start button working. Now need to convert IceWM top menu to Openbox hard coded top menu. Its starting to look pretty good...
thriftee
I need a good"antiX" start button icon. The one I have is transparent. It would be better if I could see that it is a button to push
Dave
thriftee wrote:I need a good"antiX" start button icon. The one I have is transparent. It would be better if I could see that it is a button to push
Do You have an account at the mepis forums?
If so maybe it is worth asking Utopia (IIRC) to make a new set of start icons? I know that is who handles the MX / Mepis imagery.
Otherwise I would say to take one from the icewm / jwm themes in /usr/share/themes I think... or maybe /usr/share/icewm|jwm?

Glad to hear that it is going well / looking well!
thriftee
Ok, I found the icon used for the ice start button. To be honest at 30 x 30 its not so good and needs a lot more contrast.

Or maybe open box people don't want a start button...

I got a main menu, the generated antix one, a personal menu with a maint option using obmenu, and the debian generated one. i also added a Places option and Recent files option hooked to spacefm on the main menu, as well as a gexec run program option, which was on the fluxbox but not icewm, not known why.

I added config and help for openbox and tint2

I have a few glitches, but its looking pretty good
thriftee
I did a lot of key mapping, and I think will create a text help file of keys and an option to pop it up, maybe send it to the bottom of the conky like crunchbag, but i'm thinking it could be sent from a script, and that way it could be output in any language based on an env variable I would think?

I like the top of my conky with the meters a lot better, and would use that, but don't want to upset anyone. It looks nice but is Spartan in terms of memory and CPU hit.

BTW, i set it up with a double taskbar. I started with 4 desktops, but who needs that many, so I trimmed it to 3 and there wasn't enough space at the bottom, so i trimmed it to 2, and it looks pretty good.

screeenshot removed. see newer one belowin the thread
Last edited by thriftee on 18 Dec 2014, 00:56, edited 2 times in total.
thriftee
Here are the keyboard mappings. At present it doesn't look like I will be able toget keyboard macros to work because I can't find a program to do it that actually works.

The helpkeys can't go in the conky because the conky is being used by different WM's and they probably can't all have the same keyboard map, although it would be nice...

Code: Select all

W-z            helpkeys.txt - Keyboard Shortcuts in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
C-g            chainQuitKey
<!-- Keybindings for desktop switching -->
C-A-Left    GoToDesktop left
C-A-Right    GoToDesktop right
W-F1        GoToDesktop 1
W-F2        GoToDesktop 2
W-F3        GoToDesktop 3
W-F4        GoToDesktop 4
<!-- Keybindings for windows -->
A-F4         Close
A-Escape    Lower FocusToBottom
A-Tab        NextWindow
A-S-Tab        PreviousWindow
C-A-Tab        NextWindow
W-S-Right    DirectionalCycleWindows right
W-S-Left    DirectionalCycleWindows left
W-S-Up        DirectionalCycleWindows up
W-S-Down    DirectionalCycleWindows down
<!-- Keybindings for running applications -->
W-a          Audio Player
W-c            Clipboard
W-d            Show Desktop
W-e            Text Editor
W-S-e        ROOT Text Editor
W-f            File Manager
W-S-f        ROOT File Manager
W-h            Task Manager
W-k            Kill Programs
W-l            Lock Screen
W-m            Media Player
W-n            Network Status
W-p            Print Screen Laptops
W-q            Email Client
W-r            Run Program
W-s            antiX Control Center Settings
W-t            Terminal
W-S-t        ROOT Terminal
W-u            Unplug Drive
W-v            Volume/Mixer
W-w            Web Browser
W-x            Exit/Logout/Shutdown
A-space        Client Menu
W-space        Main Menu
Print        Print Screen
W-F11        Record Macro 1
W-S-F11        Play Macro 1
W-F12        Record Macro 2
W-S-F12        Play Macro 2
Last edited by thriftee on 18 Dec 2014, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
thriftee
Wallpaper reverts to none after each reboot it looks... It needs to be set before desktop session I think.

BTW, I am at 120 mb used when it comes up. If you are looking for memory savings for old computers, I see places that I could find some.
1. Volume Icon - could just use alsamixer or have volumeicon there too and let them choose from the menu
2. Wicd - could be run from the menu, suggest only to run it if hardwired connection not there
3. Taskbar launchers are redundant with a start button there and all the launcher items right there on top menu
4. Urxvt could be used for terminal in daemon mode, then new sessions add almost nothing
5. No need for 6 consoles these days if using x-windows. I usually have just 1

I am tweaking the main menu so the launchers would be less needed. The fewer launchers are there, the more space there is on the taskbar, and maybe less memory required?

This would be an light/efficient, but very functional setup for an older, slower machine. I think I've now got better functionality than the stock IceWM setup, which I generally like very much, BTW. But with that kernel problem with USB I can't try it on my P IIIm laptop.

Do many people use dmenu? I noticed that the system comes with it installed and wondered if it should be mapped to a key.

I hard coded use of dillo for www help screens. In the menus I found a few different ways of deciding what app to use.

I really like the idea of having a default BIG browser like iceweasel, opera, qupzilla, midori, chromium, seamonkey that can do the javascript etc and a default small browser like dillo, links2, xombrero for tasks that are better suited for just popping up a help screen, etc.

x-terminal-emulator
desktop-defaults-run -t

x-www-browser
desktop-defaults-run -b

desktop-defaults-run -te

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will be interested enough to run this. In this day and age, though, I think that many people outside the antiX realm are liking and wanting Openbox setups, so there is good possibility with it of attracting more people to install and run it.
skidoo
Those memory savings tips 1--5 are WM/DE agnostic & ought to be documented in antix helpfiles or at least copied to a Tips-n-Tricks thread.

In response to your question marked item, I'll mention that across various WM/DEs, I've found that each additional launcher placed to a panel adds 1Mb+ (mem to cache the associated icon).

Tray volumeicon seems to be an important amenity. Its absence seems to dissuade many prospective new users (stuffs should"just work, without fiddling").
Middle ground would be to include it, but leave its startup line outcommented in the default configuration. A brief note in the docs can explain how/where to activate it as an autostarted item.

Regarding urxvt (that's an abbreviation for some sort of sexually-transmitted disease, right?)
the documentation on its project page is a overwhelming wall of text. It merits a tips-n-tricks thread"the awesomeness of urxvt" containing pointers plus links to various online tutorials.
Compared to using a tabbed terminal app (roxterm, lxterminal, xfce4-terminal, etc), idunno, does urxvt -d usage really save much memory overhead?
Dave
Strange that the wallpaper does not stick... Does the openbox config have a native option for wallpaper?
Maybe there is a default wallpaper set that overrides the one set by the wallpaper app?

However you say that the wallpaper reverts to none. Is there a line in ~/.desktop-session/wallpaper-list.conf that reads openbox=/path/to/wallpaper?
If not I will have to take a look at the wallpaper app more deaply.

For the browsers and such set as defaults... are you saying there should be multiple options for defaults?
Example:
Default Browser #1 = iceweasel
Default Browser #2 = dillo
anticapitalista
Site Admin
skidoo wrote:Those memory savings tips 1--5 are WM/DE agnostic & ought to be documented in antix helpfiles or at least copied to a Tips-n-Tricks thread.

A brief note in the docs can explain how/where to activate it as an autostarted item.

Regarding urxvt ... It merits a tips-n-tricks thread"the awesomeness of urxvt" containing pointers plus links to various online tutorials.

Here is the Tips and tricks section of the forum. Anyone can go ahead and add.

tips-and-tricks-f4.html
thriftee
skidoo wrote:Those memory savings tips 1--5 are WM/DE agnostic & ought to be documented in antix helpfiles or at least copied to a Tips-n-Tricks thread.

In response to your question marked item, I'll mention that across various WM/DEs, I've found that each additional launcher placed to a panel adds 1Mb+ (mem to cache the associated icon).

Tray volumeicon seems to be an important amenity. Its absence seems to dissuade many prospective new users (stuffs should"just work, without fiddling").
Middle ground would be to include it, but leave its startup line outcommented in the default configuration. A brief note in the docs can explain how/where to activate it as an autostarted item.

Regarding urxvt (that's an abbreviation for some sort of sexually-transmitted disease, right?)
the documentation on its project page is a overwhelming wall of text. It merits a tips-n-tricks thread"the awesomeness of urxvt" containing pointers plus links to various online tutorials.
Compared to using a tabbed terminal app (roxterm, lxterminal, xfce4-terminal, etc), idunno, does urxvt -d usage really save much memory overhead?
-------

Maybe the answer on the volumeicon is to provide an easy way to turn it off to save the 11 mb of memory for those who are strapped.
Same thing for WiFi, maybe? That costs about 20 mb.

urxvt saves about 5 to 10 mb per terminal session after the first one. For someone like me that runs 6 at a time, its significant. I hate the name, too.
thriftee
Dave wrote:Strange that the wallpaper does not stick... Does the openbox config have a native option for wallpaper?
Maybe there is a default wallpaper set that overrides the one set by the wallpaper app?

However you say that the wallpaper reverts to none. Is there a line in ~/.desktop-session/wallpaper-list.conf that reads openbox=/path/to/wallpaper?
If not I will have to take a look at the wallpaper app more deaply.

For the browsers and such set as defaults... are you saying there should be multiple options for defaults?
Example:
Default Browser #1 = iceweasel
Default Browser #2 = dillo
There is an openbox entry in the wallpaper-list.conf but it doesn't seem to have any effect after a reboot

Yes, I hard coded dillo to the help items on the menu, but just saying it would be cleaner to have a system default type thing

After looking at the code, my guess is that using the link method like debian does is the efficient way to do it in terms of memory etc as compared to running a script, but having both in there anyway, I just kinda wonder why the debian solution wasn't just expanded on rather than replacing it, ie setting up the other defaults similar to xxx-web-browser and x-terminal-emulator. I didn't do much testing on it, just noticed there were multiple schemes being used and unsure which was correct to use, or if they would always produce the same results or not.
thriftee
Oh, on the wallpaper, in the openbox examples they use nitrogen, and it goes in the autostart. I would imagine feh could also work, but I haven't used that before. If I recall, it needs to be on the screen maybe before or during the autostart?