rokytnji
Antix uses a wallpaper.py or wallpaper.sh script for setting wallpapers thriftee.

I learned this back in

post33913.html#p33913

The

Code: Select all

locate wallpaper.sh
command should show the location.
Dave
Wallpaper.py should be located in /usr/local/bin/wallpaper.py. This is the frontend for setting the wallpaper with feh / space / rox.
desktop-session-wallpaper should be located in /usr/local/bin/. This is the backend for setting the wallpaper (formally know as wallpaper.sh)

wallpaper.py will get your selection and write it to the config file, followed by calling desktop-session-wallpaper. desktop-session-wallpaper reads what is in the config file and using the desktop code sets the matching wallpaper in a fashion that should best match what desktop you are using (either rox / space / or feh).

I am not sure at the moment why it is not setting the wallpaper, as it should be called by desktop-session automatically and set as long as there is a matching entry to the desktop-code....

I will take a look at it and see what is happening. Maybe you have came across a bug.

EDIT:
Not really sure what to say because I installed openbox and set the wallpaper. Log out and back in and the wallpaper was set again.
Please try 2 options at the moment.
1) run desktop-session-wallpaper in the terminal and post any results / output here.
2) If 1 sets the wallpaper as expected bump up the default startup delay from 1 second in / etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf (or if it exists ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf)
thriftee
"SOMETIMES" it goes away, not always.

If I use the wallpaper app to change it, it works fine, at least for a while. It might be a reboot that gets it lost.

I think I have the menus good. Its really a nice structure at this point, giving the user the best of all worlds.

I don't like the memory consumption, and I think its the launchers in the tint tray doing it. applet.py is 10 mb.

To be honest, openbox itself is bigger than the others, and there is no way to reduce it below the others because even with its bigger number, it doesn't include the tray.

For that memory, though, I tried to give it maximum functionality and efficiency
Dave
thriftee wrote:"SOMETIMES" it goes away, not always.

If I use the wallpaper app to change it, it works fine, at least for a while. It might be a reboot that gets it lost.
Then I definitely think that the default startup delay is to blame among the other items that are troublesome. I really think that the default startup delay should be 3 secconds. That should allow older slower machines adequate time to boot and if you have a newer machine it is not that hard to trim back.

Glad to hear it is comming along well!
thriftee
-------------
Then I definitely think that the default startup delay is to blame among the other items that are troublesome. I really think that the default startup delay should be 3 secconds. That should allow older slower machines adequate time to boot and if you have a newer machine it is not that hard to trim back.

---------

If you are saying I need to add a delay someplace, just let me know what to add where. The only thing in the openbox autostart is tint2.

autostart

#
# These things are run when an Openbox X Session is started.
# You may place a similar script in $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart
# to run user-specific things.
#

# If you want to use GNOME config tools...
#
#if test -x /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null; then
#  /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gnome-settings-daemon &
#elif which gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null 2>&1; then
#  gnome-settings-daemon &
#fi

# If you want to use XFCE config tools...
#
#xfce-mcs-manager &

tint2 -c ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc &
Dave
Yes in either / etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf (or ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf if it is there)
Change the line that reads

STARTUP_DELAY="1"
TO:

STARTUP_DELAY="3"
And hopefully that will fix the issue. It should be changed to default in the next ISO release.
thriftee
Ok, I added a

sleep 3 &

line before the tint2 line. i changed the pic, did a logout and all was good
then i did a reboot
for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, before the tint2 panel came up, the screensaver was there, then it went away and the screen was blank except the panel and conky

if you know a way to fix it please let me know. I only have one other thing I want to try to improve and I'm done. I need to learn a little fancy awk somehow...
Dave
Sorry I did not mean for the delay to be placed in the startup file of openbox. Rather the desktop-session configuration file.
I do not know how else to explain how to change the configuration option other than what is written in the previous post.
The

STARTUP_DELAY= 
Line will need to be changed in

/ etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf
AND

~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf
It is around line 10 I think.

Edit the variable in the file, save, close, set wallpaper, reboot.
thriftee
So far, so good with the STARTUP_DELAY=2

I have come to the conclusion that much of why its using a lot of memory is because I did a defaults install instead of turning off services that I never use, like SSH, bluetooth, and Printing. I actually do have WiFi on it, but its hard wired at the moment, and it would save 20 mb if WiFi was off.

I am happy with my menus and setup, now. I can't run it on my testing machine, though, and would REALLY worry about breaking out the ACID test machine... LOL, its a Super-Micro Server, with 2 gb of registered RAM, dual P III 750's and Adaptec SCSI built in, and with 3 of the older Dual Video Output nVidia cards driving an array of 6 Acer 22" LCD screens. Its OLD-SCHOOL, built as a duplicate of a client's server, and used it to rescue their plant's network any time their server had trouble, which made me a hero there a couple times. Back in 98 or 99 when I built it, it was awesome, but today its just old, big, heavy and power hungry. I have 1/2 a mind to try it since my regular test machine (the P IIIm laptop) can't run antiX 14.x

thriftee
naaaaaaa, I'm older and wiser than that. I will do a fresh install to another partition on the same machine, and do the installs and copy the things i needed to change and see if it works. I will turn off those unneeded services when asked during the install so I get a more realistic memory number. I can tell it will be higher than with IceWM, though, and unless I find a"lighter" tray, I don't see there is much I can do about it.

That IS why I installed IcEWM on Manjaro, LOL.
skidoo
From reading crunchbang threads, seems clear that openbox doesn't manage wallpapers.
For a more lightweight panel, howabout try what's already there ~~ fbpanel.

I don't dislike openbox, just at a loss to understand why anyone would prefer it over fluxbox.
What are its unique features, its selling points? I'm all ears, if someone cares to explain.
Openbox has a"plank", analagous to the fluxbox"slit", yes?
Both openbox and fluxbox offer beyond-the-usual commands (rollup, etc) when you right-click a window titlebar.
Does openbox (as fluxbox does) offer ability to"tear off" any of its flyout menus, so that they stay open/visible? It's a seldom needed feature, but hella handy on those occasions.

volumeicon is 20mb?!? Should be able to find a lighter weight alternative for that tray widget

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://puppylinux.org/wikka/RetroVol"
linktext was:"http://puppylinux.org/wikka/RetroVol"
====================================

url was:"https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/volwheel/"
linktext was:"https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm ... /volwheel/"

url was:"http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27954"
linktext was:"http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27954"

url was:"http://code.google.com/p/volti/%5Bquote%5Dhttps://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=136334"
linktext was:"http://code.google.com/p/volti/[quote]h ... ?id=136334"

I use the mouse wheel to adjust volume. If you have alsa-utils installed, there is no need to install any other packages. Just edit your rc.xml file to include the following:

<mouse>
  <context name="Desktop">
    <mousebind button="Left" action="Click">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>amixer sset Master toggle</command>
      </action>
    </mousebind>
    <mousebind button="S-Right" action="Click">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>amixer sset Master unmute</command>
      </action>
    </mousebind>
    <mousebind button="S-Up" action="Click">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>amixer sset Master,0 1+</command>
      </action>
    </mousebind>
    <mousebind button="S-Down" action="Click">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>amixer sset Master,0 1-</command>
      </action>
    </mousebind>
  </context>
</mouse>
[/quote]
thriftee
Yes, it would be easy to program vol +/- keys, but old keyboards don't have the special keys for them

A lighter vol icon program is a better solution, IMO

And a lighter launcher/taskbar/tray would help, too

To be honest, I don't know Fluxbox. I tried it a couple times, and being an old DOS/Windows guy, it just seemed too different for me. That's why I like IceWM, and why if someone gives me OpenBox, I try to make it more friendly, like IceWM is for me. I looked at the JWM in the new 14.3 also and it actually looks pretty good this time, too.

Anyway, I'm doing a fresh install on the faster spare laptop to see if it does better with the services not selected on install. IMO, antiX is supposed to be able to run well on the older hardware with less resources, so it should be tested that way. I used almost all static menus and have them regenerating etc, and so it runs real well, but I'd rather see a lighter memory footprint so the 256 mb and 512 mb machines can still run well.

PS: I don't have mice on my laptop machines, so don't have the wheel
thriftee
fbpanel wasn't there, I installed it and got it working, but it uses a lot more memory than tint2, so I'm back to that

the thing eating memory is a python program trying to configure a printer it appears, but there was no place on the install to tell it i don't have a printer. i would guess they are already aware of that problem.

i will look for a"cheaper" volume icon, LOL
thriftee
Tried volti. It works and is included in Debian repo, but takes up 14 mb of memory...

Attempting to install retrovol from source...
thriftee
retrovol is hopeless as it wants over 100 mb of downloads to install