Eino
I have been working on a music box version of antiX. With the musician, songwriter in mind.
I have tried a number of music score editors. The one that I like that is light weight, and easy to use is nted, the only problem is if you do complex music arrangements with it it crashes.
But for simple music arrangements, it works great, you just need to remember you can't add more than one instrument to one staff. This is what causes the editor to crash.

The items I have added so far to the respin.
  • Aconnectgui
    Asunder CD ripper
    Audacity
    gtklick
    Guayadeque Music player
    Muse
    nted
    Openshot Video editor
    QjackCtl
    QjackRcd
    Timidity++ MIDI sequencer
    Virtual MIDI keyboard
    VLC player
    XBMC
    XMMS
Eino
I'm trying something a little different to make my music box lighter.
I'm trying it without jack audio server, and just utilizing Timidity with the daemon.
I can still edit my music with nted, But I loss my real time editing without the use of jack, and muse.
With this version I just save the midi with the musical keyboard then load it on to the computer. Then edit the music, with nted.
It works, made it light, and kept it simple.

I kept the music players in this version, and dumped the video players.
Then removed the unnecessary stuff that was not needed, to make it light.
rust collector
So, when will we see the finished iso for this thing?
Eino
Soon I'm still working on it.
Eino
This is my first attempt to make a bootable iso.
I want to make sure, I have the commands right.
Any corrections, or additions are welcome.

First I'm going to mount the usb where I have the files.

Code: Select all

# cd /media/sdb1/boot/loader
# mkisofs -o /myiso/musicbox1-antix-32bit.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table 
Eino

17 Sep 2013, 15:05 #6

I don't seem to have the command.
bash: mkisofs: command not found

What am I missing ?
I have used it before but not with antix.

Just tried

Code: Select all

cat /dev/sdf1 > musicbox1-antix-32bit.iso
and 
dd if=/dev/sdf1 of=musicbox1-antix-32bit.iso bs=2048 conv=notrunc 
Nothing I'm trying seems to work.
rust collector
I think genisoimage would work?
Eino
rust collector wrote:I think genisoimage would work?
I'm on a learning curb, That one is new to me, Now i need to learn how to use it.
Seems the old stuff don't work with a USB, but they work great making them from a CD image. ..
Eino
I have the big question.
What is the best way to make a bootable respin of antiX ?
I have tried on a number of times, and failed.
BitJam
Have you tried the remaster.sh program or the antixsnapshot or antixsnapshot-gui programs? I thought these were supposed to make a .iso file from your current system.
Eino
I think I'm going to try the remaster, with a re-writable DVD. Just to see what would happen.
I have too much personal stuff, on my current install, or I do a second install on a different partition.
Which would work better?
anticapitalista
Site Admin

05 Nov 2013, 21:37 #12

Eino - is this respin for personal use or to distribute? If it is to distribute, then it is best to remove any personal stuff.
antixsnapshot should build you a bootable live iso.

If you want to distribute this respin, to be honest, the best way to do so is by building from scratch with our build tools. This way takes longer initially, but it is cleaner. If you want help on how to do this, just let me or BitJam know and we'll help as much as we can.
Eino
I like the idea of building from scratch, yes I am building it for distribution..
I want to keep it lightweight as possible, with a music editor and just what the editor needs to work.
I'll will include instructions on how to install"Jack" But the install will not be in the distribution it's not a one size fits all configuration. (a lot of sound card nowadays don't have the synthesizer that jack needs)
I will be including different audio programs for editing, conversion and listening. .
BitJam
IMO the simplest approach is to build a system exactly how you want it and then run antixsnapshot. One limitation of this approach is that it is hard to make a 64-bit and a 32-bit version. It is also hard to track changes in what you want to distribute versus what you want on your personal system.

The other approach, as anti mentioned, is to use our build-antiX-iso script. This one script is used to build all the antiX iso files we distribute. Basically you edit a list of Debian packages then run the script and an hour or so later, you have a fresh iso file ready for testing. You can even run the script on non-Debian Linux systems.

IMO it would be great if you wanted to use the build-antiX-iso program to make a"music" or"musician" flavour of antiX. It is probably more work up front (especially for your computer!) but in exchange, it is more sustainable going forward or if you want to distribute more than one version.

I can send you the latest version of the program and anti can probably send you a template for creating a clone of antiX 13.2.
Eino
I'm on my way to make the music version of antiX

I was looking for a unique sound that, greets you after you log in. This is what I came up with.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://jumpshare.com/v/AoZ4LhhHYjKX5KcV8TnO"
linktext was:"https://jumpshare.com/v/AoZ4LhhHYjKX5KcV8TnO"
====================================