Eino
I have a bootable ISO, now it's time to do the custom configurations to make it all work.
So far it looks like it woud be a usb or dvd install. I tried but it seems with the sound progeams I can't keep it below 700 mb.
This one is 756 mb

Code: Select all

~# inxi -F
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.5-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13.2_x64-music Luddite 9 November 2013
Machine:   System: Compaq Presario 061 product: ER919AA-ABA SR1820NX NA620 version: 0nx1411RE101NAGAM00 serial: CNH61516QJ 
           Mobo: ASUSTek model: NAGAMI version: 1.02 serial: MB-1234567890 Bios: Phoenix version: 3.11 date: 09/19/2006
CPU:       Single core AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) clocked at 1000.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] 
           X.org: 1.12.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 80x28 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Creative Labs SB Audigy driver: snd_emu10k1 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.7.10-antix.5-amd64-smp
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP51 Ethernet Controller driver: forcedeth 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:17:31:10:58:e8
           Card-2: Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI driver: rt2800pci 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 68:1c:a2:04:21:cc
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3750528AS size: 750.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 2.3G used: 33M (2%) fs: rootfs 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 6776.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 90 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 284.5/2950.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.16 
Eino
I'm making a change from Guayadeque, to Clementine

Clementine is a larger initial package but it has less dependencies. Also it handles large music libraries better.
over 1000+ songs.
BitJam
I <3 Clementine.
Eino
So far so good, the system runs well with this machine. It dose some file swapping with the small amount of memory tho, running live. Next to see how the install goes.

inxi -F
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.7-486-smp i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13.2_386-music Luddite 18 November 2013
Machine:   System: IBM product: 818311U
           Mobo: IBM model: IBM Bios: IBM version: 2AKT51AUS date: 07/06/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (pae sse sse2) clocked at 2393.976 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@85.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 865G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 8.0.5
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-antix.7-486-smp
Network:   Card: Intel 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller driver: e100 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:09:6b:2f:e1:a7
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 41.5GB (1.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IC35L060AVV207 size: 37.5GB 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: USB_Drive size: 4.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 380M used: 197M (52%) fs: rootfs ID: swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.03GB (1%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 66 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 133.6/484.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.16 
Eino
Success in recording, and editing music with the old IBM. After the install.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://jumpshare.com/v/XQ04xmU07q3Tl1yJwlqQ"
linktext was:"https://jumpshare.com/v/XQ04xmU07q3Tl1yJwlqQ"
====================================
jdmeaux1952
Eino wrote:Success in recording, and editing music with the old IBM. After the install.

url was:"https://jumpshare.com/v/XQ04xmU07q3Tl1yJwlqQ"
linktext was:"https://jumpshare.com/v/XQ04xmU07q3Tl1yJwlqQ"
Wow! That's a nice tune. Almost sounds like a harpsichord.
Eino
While I was doing that I was watching the CPU percentage, and the music editor.
The music editor, and the keyboard was set as a piano. but not bad for not having any synthesizer.
Just using timidly as a daemon.
Eino
Part of the Please_Read_Me file
Audio on the Motherboard
These chips typically offer basic, digital audio recording/playback of the quality of a typical"game card". Besides having a DAC and ADC so that you can record and play digital audio (and play game sound effects and voice), these chips also tend to have at least support for a Software Synth for MIDI playback. A good chip should even support MIDI IN and OUT through a MIDI Adapter attached to a joystick port. But in notebooks without a joystick port, you typically have to get an external MIDI Interface for MIDI support beyond a Software Synth.
Personally, I don't like motherboard audio because you can't upgrade it easily. If you want to buy and install a new audio card, you can't remove that chip. Therefore you have to setup your new card such that it doesn't conflict with the settings of that onboard chip. Typically, the computer's BIOS has settings to disable the onboard chip, but besides being a waste (ie, at least you can sell an old audio card when you buy a new one, or reuse it in another computer -- (not so with these embedded chips), I've discovered that PnP issues and other BIOS bugs can result in problems. Sometimes you can't get that onboard chip to stop using valuable resources (ie, IRQ lines) that you want for your new card, or otherwise can't make it completely"disappear". It lingers like bad body odor, causing you grief.(I have not had this issue with antix, or Debian, it may be a Windows issue.)
I think that an audio card is a better deal than motherboard audio, unless you're absolutely sure that you want a typical game card quality and don't ever want to upgrade for the lifetime of that motherboard. An exception to this is a notebook computer since you can't install a separate ISA or PCI soundcard, and notebooks aren't noted for their upgradability anyway.
If you want top performance, an audio card that is made especially for clean digital audio such as the DAL CardD or V8, Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96, the Event Gina, Layla, or Darla, or other high-end digital audio cards,to go with your MIDI Interface, Soundblaster live,and Audigy cards are adequate, and a lot less expensive.

A word on ALSA
Seems that the biggest complaint with ALSA is that the sound is low on some systems. Open the ALSA mixer and mute any outputs that you don't use. Then adjust the outputs in use, to run the maximum without distortion.
If your using a laptop, invest into a good set of headphones, or use external speakers. (Just face it laptops tiny speakers, even on the high end models are inadequate for listening to music.)
Eino
Both the 32 bit, and 64 bit versions are almost ready..

System:    Host: (none) Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.7-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13.2_x64-music Luddite 2 December 2013
equimanthorn
Wow !
Can I download the ISO ?
Eino
equimanthorn wrote:Wow !
Can I download the ISO ?
Soon
Within the next week.
Eino
Many thank's go out to Bitjam for hard work helping making this possible.

Here is my readme files in the two versions, you will notice a difference between the 32 bit, and 64 bit versions.

Welcome to antiX Music addition.

The software selected is for the music writer, musicians, and audiophiles alike. that have a computer with limited resources.. So far this system was tested on a P3 and P4 Intel computers with 512 mb of memory
I was able to record, and play back midi music using the Score Editor.

The current setup uses a software synthesizer, so not as hardware dependent

A word on ALSA
Seems that the biggest complaint with ALSA is that the sound is low on some systems. Open the ALSA mixer and mute any outputs that you don't use. Then adjust the outputs in use, to run the maximum without distortion.
If your running a laptop, invest into a good set of headphones, or use external speakers.

Lets get started.
You will notice a directory named “nted”. That is the location of the music editors saved files. The midi file in that directory,needs a run action to be set. Right click on the “sample.mid” file
then select “Set Run Action “ then in box below what say's” Enter A shell command:” Type in the following : timidity -ia"$@" Then click “Use Command”. Now when you click on a .mid file the midi player will open with all the controls.

Setting up NtEd (music score editor)
For you to hear the notes that you put into your music, or have play back, You must first set the output from the music editor. Click on “Edit” then 'Preferences” then click on “Configure MIDI out” select one of the four timidity outputs. Then OK. I have a sample file for you to test it. Click File, Open then go to nted directory, and open the sample file. Then click on edit then click play you should hear a short tune. For more information, and instructions click on the help documentation.

For the people that have more powerful computers with MIDI sound cards “jackd and Jackd2 is already installed, all you need to do is install Qjackctl to setup the sound server. Then you can setup the more resource hungry sound, and music editing software.

I have my favorite toy, that is a Virtual MIDI keyboard. You can't edit your music, or do anything besides make some noise. (the children love it)
I choose Clementine multiplatform music player, because it handles large music libraries the best, along with a responsive equalizer.
Other software is aconnect, timidity, timidity-daemon, timidity-interfaces-extra, VLC player, Gtick Metronome, Sound Converter, Audacity sound editing tool, and Chromium Web browser.

You will not find office software, or many games.

Suggested links are.

url was:"http://method-behind-the-music.com/"
linktext was:"http://method-behind-the-music.com/"
If you want to learn how music can come from a written sheet to the sound you hear.

index.php For issues with the Operating System, or just to say hello, or thank you.

Enjoy !

Eino
Welcome to antiX Music 64bit addition.

The software selected is for the music writers, musicians, and audiophiles alike.

The current setup uses a software synthesizer, so not as hardware dependent. But the software is available in this distribution, to go beyond the software synthesizer.

Audio on the Motherboard
These chips typically offer basic, digital audio recording/playback of the quality of a typical"game card". Besides having a DAC and ADC so that you can record and play digital audio (and play game sound effects and voice), these chips also tend to have at least support for MIDI playback. A good chip should even support MIDI IN and OUT through a MIDI Adapter attached to a joystick port. But in notebooks without a joystick port, you typically have to get an external MIDI Interface for MIDI support beyond a Software Synthesizer.
Personally, I don't like motherboard audio because you can't upgrade it easily. If you want to buy and install a new audio card, you can't remove that chip. Therefore you have to setup your new card such that it doesn't conflict with the settings of that onboard chip. Typically, the computer's BIOS has settings to disable the onboard chip, but besides being a waste (ie, at least you can sell an old audio card when you buy a new one, or reuse it in another computer -- (not so with these embedded chips), I've discovered that PnP issues and other BIOS bugs can result in problems. Sometimes you can't get that onboard chip to stop using valuable resources (ie, IRQ lines) that you want for your new card, or otherwise can't make it completely"disappear". It lingers like bad body odor, causing you grief.(I have not had this issue with antix, or Debian, it may be a Windows issue.)
I think that an audio card is a better deal than motherboard audio, unless you're absolutely sure that you want a typical game card quality and don't ever want to upgrade for the lifetime of that motherboard. An exception to this is a notebook computer since you can't install a separate ISA or PCI soundcard, and notebooks aren't noted for their upgradability anyway.
If you want top performance, an audio card that is made especially for clean digital audio such as the DAL CardD or V8, Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96, the Event Gina, Layla, or Darla, or other high-end digital audio cards,to go with your MIDI Interface, Soundblaster live,and Audigy cards are adequate, and a lot less expensive.

A word on ALSA
If your using a laptop, invest into a good set of headphones, or use external speakers. (Just face it laptops tiny speakers, even on the high end models are inadequate for listening to music.)

Setting up NtEd and MIDI play back.(music score editor)
For you to hear the notes that you put into your music, or have play back, You must first set the output from the music editor. Click on “Edit” then 'Preferences” then click on “Configure MIDI out” select one of the four timidity outputs. Then OK. I have a sample file for you to test it. Click File, Open then go to nted directory, and open the sample file. Then click on"Edit" then click"Play" you should hear a short tune. Next click “File” then"Export MIDI" Then save it.
Now you have a Midi file in nted directory. The midi file in that directory,needs a run action to be set. Right click on the “sample.mid” file then select “Set Run Action “ then in box below what say's” Enter A shell command:” Type in the following : timidity -ia"$@" Then click “Use Command”. Now when you click on a .mid file the midi player will open with all the controls.

Software
My favorite toy, is a Virtual MIDI keyboard. You can't edit your music with it, or do anything besides make some noise. (but the children love it)
I choose Clementine multiplatform music player, because it handles large music libraries the best, along with a responsive equalizer.
Other software is aconnect connection kit for AlSA, timidity, timidity-daemon, timidity-interfaces-extra MIDI interface, and player,MuseScore music score editor,Qjackctl user interface for jack connection kit,VLC player,Gtick Metronome, Sound Converter, Audacity sound editing tool, and Chromium Web browser.You will not find office software, or many games.

Suggested links are.

url was:"http://method-behind-the-music.com/"
linktext was:"http://method-behind-the-music.com/"
If you want to learn how music can come from a written sheet to the sound you hear.

index.php For issues with the Operating System, or just to say hello, or thank you.

Enjoy !

Eino

If anyone notices mistakes in the readme files let me know, so I can make the corrections.
Eino
Both the versions of the music respins are ready for testing.

url was:"http://antix.daveserver.info/music/"
linktext was:"http://antix.daveserver.info/music/"
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I have given the 64 bit version a quick trial in Virtualbox, running live.
Seems to be working ok. Nice wallpapers as well!

Since you do not have libreoffice installed, you should remove the write desktop icon (spacefm and rox).
Also, how about removing some apps that are not really geared towards a music distro so that it fits on a cd?

Good job Eino.
Eino
anticapitalista wrote:I have given the 64 bit version a quick trial in Virtualbox, running live.
Seems to be working ok. Nice wallpapers as well!

Since you do not have libreoffice installed, you should remove the write desktop icon (spacefm and rox).
Also, how about removing some apps that are not really geared towards a music distro so that it fits on a cd?

Good job Eino.
Thanks for the compliment, IT's still a work in progress. I'm currently making a list of stuff to remove.