topic title: Bugs
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Find the bugs and post here so we can fix them. (antiX-13 final only)
anticapitalista
Site Admin
1. antiX-13_386-full.iso may give an alert when booting about it being a 64 bit iso system. This is a bug. The iso is 32 bit and everything should work fine. ie Ignore the message.
I'm uploading a new version as I type.

2. For those that boot with other systems and grub is placed in the MBR, it is very likely that the gui installer will not write a correct grub entry fot the other OS installed. User will have to so manually. antiX-13 will boot just fine.
Working on a fix.

3. Ownership of some antiX files in /usr/local/bin and elsewhere is not set to root:root. This is not going to effect how antiX works, but a series of antiX updates will fix this.
rokytnji
. antiX-13_386-full.iso may give an alert when booting about it being a 64 bit iso system.
Saw it. Was glad I read that before I booted.

IBM T23 with 8.5 installed. Looking to upgrade later. Ghost Window still happening on default boot (I did not use the F key options) EDIT: I forgot to mention I am running live.

I'm busy Anti with major financial stuff and am going to be upgrading my shop and business.
Parts for my building I have scheduled to come in Oct. So Give me some slack as a mod because
I am moving stuff out of the shop to my house so I have the room to expand my building later.

Ok. That out of the way. What works in Luddite.

I downloaded PLOP 4.2.2 and burned the iso to cd. I used unetbootin for the AntiX i386 full iso to pendrive install. Tried pendrive first in my USB 2.0 pcmcia combo card but PLOP failed there to boot the usb.

Second try was to use the internal mobo 1.1 usb port with the pendrive. PLOP found it there and AntiX told me (grinning here)"Your PC is not 64bit and Won't boot this". Just choose the defaults and connected with wicd wirelessly and posting now.
dolphin_oracle
I've noticed the ghost window thing in icewm. Its not consistent though. sometimes its there and sometimes its not. I believe may be related to the system tray as sometimes my volume icon ends up in the ghost window.
SamK
SamK
rokytnji wrote:I downloaded PLOP 4.2.2 and burned the iso to cd. I used unetbootin for the AntiX i386 full iso to pendrive install. Tried pendrive first in my USB 2.0 pcmcia combo card but PLOP failed there to boot the usb.
Off Topic
I also often use PLOP with older kit, but use the latest stable version 5.0.14. I have noticed that with some USB v3 sticks it sometimes fails to boot. It is aggravated if a multi-port USB hub is attached. Changing the PLOP settings usually works here. It might be worth experimenting with
Setup-->Bootmanager-->Ignore USB Devices
and trying with different values in this setting.

I have also read reports that changing the PLOP settings to force USB v1 mode also may work but I have not needed to use it.
SamK
dolphin_oracle wrote:I've noticed the ghost window thing in icewm. Its not consistent though. sometimes its there and sometimes its not. I believe may be related to the system tray as sometimes my volume icon ends up in the ghost window.
I also confirm the ghost window is intermittently presented.

Just guessing here, might it be a timing issue? In antiX-12 this fixed the problem
post25928.html?hilit=ghost%20window#p25928
Part of the fix was to avoid running rox --pinboard=antiX-ice as a background task. This entry is no longer present in ~/icewm/startup.
BitJam
SamK wrote:Just guessing here, might it be a timing issue?
I agree.
In antiX-12 this fixed the problem
post25928.html?hilit=ghost%20window#p25928
Part of the fix was to avoid running rox --pinboard=antiX-ice as a background task. This entry is no longer present in ~/icewm/startup.
The code to start rox was moved to ~/.xinitrc. I don't think it gets launched in the background. A quick look in ~/.xinitrc will tell you for sure.
SamK
rokytnji wrote:Ghost Window still happening on default boot (I did not use the F key options) EDIT: I forgot to mention I am running live.
I can recreate this. Booting from live CD (original full ISO), it is always presented.
dolphin_oracle wrote:I believe may be related to the system tray as sometimes my volume icon ends up in the ghost window.
When installed, toggling on/off icewmtray & in the startup file is ineffective. It is intermittently produced irrespective of this setting.
dolphin_oracle
with respect to"ghost window"

when I encounter the ghost window, I once got the volume icon installed in it. usually logging out and logging back in removes the window. annoying though.
SamK
There seems to be multiple elements involved in the ghost window in IceWM:
  • A particular backgrounded task in ~./icewm/startup
  • The use of sleep commands in ~./icewm/startup
Initial tests show the following combination works here but will benefit from wider testing.

Do not run the following as a background task:

Code: Select all

auto-icewm-menu.sh
Remove all sleep commands

Example file in antiX-13

# Save gpid for graceful killing of orphans
cut -d"" -f5 /proc/$$/stat > $HOME/.antix-session/startup-pgid:${DISPLAY%.[0-9]}

# Set wallpaper
login_background.sh 

# Auto update menu
auto-icewm-menu.sh

#icewmtray &

# display wicd network manager in the panel
wicd-client -t &

# keyring
#gnome-keyring-daemon &

# run spacefm -d to automount plugin devices and popup spacefm filer.
# Do NOT enable if you use spacefm desktop.
#spacefm -d &

# mount Samba and/or NFS shares  
connectshares &

# set live keyboard
#setxkbmap -layout"$XKBLAYOUT" -variant"$XKBVARIANT" -option"$XKBOPTIONS"

# display an audio volume control in the panel
volumeicon &

# start conky system monitor
conky -c ~/.conky/conkyrc_icewm &
dolphin_oracle
I'll make those mods tonight and post how it goes.
Eino
Just taking"auto-icewm-menu.sh" out of the background did it for me. To get rid of the ghost window.

I just need to remember to update the menu manually, after a program install.

just installed, and updated.

System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.6.11-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13-rc1_386-full Luddite 4 May 2013
Machine:   System: IBM product: 818311U
           Mobo: IBM model: IBM Bios: IBM version: 2AKT51AUS date: 07/06/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (pae sse sse2) clocked at 2393.918 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: fbdev,vesa,intel Resolution: 1024x768@61.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card: Intel 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller driver: e100 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:09:6b:2f:e1:a7
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 37.5GB (8.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IC35L060AVV207 size: 37.5GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 33G used: 3.1G (10%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 79 Uptime: 32 min Memory: 159.3/484.6MB Client: Shell (inxi-gui) inxi: 1.9.7 
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Is anyone getting the ghost window on SpaceFM-icewm or with any other windows manager eg jwm-rox?
SamK

10 Jun 2013, 17:31 #14

anticapitalista wrote:Is anyone getting the ghost window on SpaceFM-icewm or with any other windows manager eg jwm-rox?
Tried three combinations
  • rox-icewm
  • rox-jwm
  • space-icewm
only seen the issue in rox-icewm.
CGarces
During the installation I have selected Spanish keyboard, but after installation XKBLAYOUT at /etc/default/keyboard remains as"us"