anticapitalista
Site Admin
3 versions to play with: Hopefully most bugs found in test1 have been fixed. (Installing grub to root using installer fails, instead use no grub option and add manually afterwards)

full (650MB) - features 5 windows managers! icewm(default), fluxbox, jwm (all with or without a Rox desktop) wmii and dwm. LibreOffice replaces Abiword and gnumeric. Iceweasel 10 replaces iceape, claws-mail included as email client. qmmp replaced by the mighty xmms, yad replaces zenity, thunar removed and replaced with spacefm and sunflower, cheese added, Asian fonts removed and many others.
base (330MB) - features fluxbox, jwm, wmii and dwm. iceweasel 10, antiX-control-centre for base edition.
core (115MB) - no X, cli-installer only.

Both full and base use Debian Testing repos by default, while core uses Debian Stable.
All versions use the latest kernel available (3.2.9) - customised for antiX to allow booting with PI and AMD K5/K6 CPUs.

Note: antiX has its own repo (thanks to Dave).

All built from scratch using debootstrap. This version of antiX is not remastered from MEPIS nor any other existing iso.

To test out live persistence see the thread. Booting live/frugal with persistence from ntfs (windows) partition should work, though it is not advised. Use fat or ext instead.
Documentation available in /usr/share/antiX/live-boot-docs.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... s/Testing/"
====================================

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
====================================
dolphin_oracle
are these going up on sourceforge too?
anticapitalista
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yes, I'm uploading as I type. Should be ready in 4 hours or so.
afab4
Menu>Applications>Preferences>GParted does not bring up gparted in icewm. I can call it from a root terminal ok.
I could change my menu configuration but darned if I can figure out how to do it. The menu configuration has changed since antiX-11.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
afab4- simply edit /usr/share/applications/gparted.desktop file to read

Exec=gparted-pkexec - wrong
Exec=gksu gparted - right

well spotted by the way.

How has the menu changed?
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:afab4- simply edit /usr/share/applications/gparted.desktop file to read

Exec=gparted-pkexec - wrong
Exec=gksu gparted - right

well spotted by the way.

How has the menu changed?
Fixed the menu as you instructed.
In antiX-11 and previous versions, you could easily change the menu by editing /.icewm/application with a text editor. In antiX-12 the format of the application menu has changed. You have to open them and compare to see the differences.
afab4
Phonebook doesn't work properly for me. i can only"remove a contact". The other 3 buttons in the gui don't do anything.
edit: reinstalled Phonebook and no change. Phonebook works in my antiX-11 install so I copy all the Phonebook scripts from my antiX-11 to test2 and now Phonebook works properly.
Cheese doesn't open by using menu. I call it from a terminal and get

Code: Select all

afab4@E4300:~$ cheese

(cheese:11773): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: The OpenGL version could not be determined
edit: After some googling I assume my Intel mobile 4 graphics is incapable of running OpenGL. However,
Cheese runs fine in my antiX-11 install on the same machine. antiX-11 runs sid repo's so i try upgrading Cheese to the sid version but it still won't open and has the same error message.

antixsnapshot opens and works both cli and gui but the iso builds to about 8MB and quits.

from the error log

Code: Select all

sync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1584  (code 12) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]
/usr/local/bin/antixsnapshot-gui: line 174:  4424 Terminated              yad --title"Copying filesystem..." --progress --pulsate

Write failed because No space left on device

Write on destination failed because No space left on device

Read on destination failed
/usr/local/bin/antixsnapshot-gui: line 183:  4442 Terminated              yad --title"Squashing filesystem..." --progress --pulsate
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
Total translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 5254
Total directory bytes: 12288
Path table size(bytes): 52
Max brk space used 22000
4309 extents written (8 MB)

(yad:4450): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_source_remove: assertion `tag > 0' failed
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/work/new-iso/antiX/linuxfs': No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/antixsnapshot-gui: line 211:  4450 Terminated              yad --title"Creating CD image file..." --progress --pulsate
/usr/local/bin/antixsnapshot-gui: line 224:  4456 Terminated              yad --title"Cleaning..." --progress --pulsate
I have 16G free space on partition.
Last edited by afab4 on 06 Mar 2012, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
newbody
I've downloaded both full and base. I will try to boot it using this code

title antiX-Test2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /antiX/vmlinuz quiet noxorg vga=791 fromiso=/antiX/antiX/antiX-test2.iso rootdelay=15 xres=1024x768
initrd /antiX/initrd.gz

should it really be fromiso=/antiX/antiX/antiX-test2.iso looks like one antiX dir too many. Not sure how
that came to be. I will edit and try again. Nope that failed too.
I also tried to move the iso out of the antiX dir to root to see if that helped but no. it still look for
cd or usb.

So what am I supposed to do to boot frugally or to boot using the iso?

I am on Acer D255 which have a N450 Atom intel CPU. 1GB RAM and seems to be 64 bit compatible
but 32 bit OS seems to work well too.

But it is NTFS and you write

To test out live persistence see the thread.
Booting live/frugal with persistence from ntfs (windows) partition should work,
though it is not advised. Use fat or ext instead.
Documentation available in /usr/share/antiX/live-boot-docs.
/quote
I have no idea which thread you refer to but guess it is the one I write in?
or you mean a coming thread named antiX-12 or something?

Documentation available in /usr/share/antiX/live-boot-docs. okay but I can only read that
if it already is booted and running? So where is that documentation before one get it to boot.

None of the above is a criticism at all. I am just eager to be able to do as you say.

"Booting live/frugal with persistence from ntfs (windows) partition should work"

That is what I have been waiting for and looked forwared to since AntiX-8.5 So if possible
give example for NTFS on internal HD

I feel unsure of this code noxorg. Does that means it does not start up Xorg or X11 or whatever it is named?
Why is that code needed?

Not sure what I did wrong. It says
Fatal Error No usb,cd devices found.

I also tested with this code
title antiX-Test2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /antiX/antiX-test2.iso
kernel /antiX/vmlinuz quiet noxorg vga=791 fromiso=/antiX/antiX/antiX-test2.iso rootdelay=15 xres=1024x768
initrd /antiX/initrd.gz

But it still says Fatal Error No usb,cd devices found.
So it seems set upon finding such devices I used grub4dos.
So it can only handle grub-legacy code?

From the isolinux I found this

title antiX-M11-base-686 (Root Persistence)
kernel /antiX/vmlinuz quiet lean noxorg blab=antiXlive vga=791 bdir=antiX persist
initrd /antiX/initrd.gz

But that one fail to boot too looking for the antiXlive dir or file.
So would it help to rename antiX dir to antiXlive ?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
afab4
1. cheese is broken (I knew there was a reason for not including it in test1)
2. phonebook will be fixed. Expect an update in repo asap.
3. antixsnapshot is now fixed. Should be in repo. (4 files antix-installer, antix-libs, antix-snapshot-cli and antix-snapshot-gui)

NOTE: If you do a dist-upgrade as live user, before accepting, first install the new antix-installer and then do a dist-upgrade otherwise you will get dpkg error about antix-libs.
eg
apt-get update
apt-get install antix-installer
apt-get dist-upgrade.

This is not necessary for installed system as antix-installer is removed on installation (which is one reason why antix-snapshot fails)

The error with file size is to do with the latest /etc/default/rcS file setting up /tmp as a mount point which has the effect of limiting its size so I had to change /etc/antixsnapshot.conf from /tmp/work to /root/work.

newbody, I'll make a quick how to in the tips and tricks section for ntfs. Please post here.

live-persistence-on-ntfs-partition-t3604.html
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:afab4
antixsnapshot is now fixed. Should be in repo. (4 files antix-installer, antix-libs, antix-snapshot-cli and antix-snapshot-gui)

NOTE: If you do a dist-upgrade as live user, before accepting, first install the new antix-installer and then do a dist-upgrade otherwise you will get dpkg error about antix-libs.
eg
apt-get update
apt-get install antix-installer
apt-get dist-upgrade.

This is not necessary for installed system as antix-installer is removed on installation (which is one reason why antix-snapshot fails)

The error with file size is to do with the latest /etc/default/rcS file setting up /tmp as a mount point which has the effect of limiting its size so I had to change /etc/antixsnapshot.conf from /tmp/work to /root/work.
Successfully used antixsnapshot to build an iso! Now before I burn this to a DVD (too big now for a CD), Will this iso only create a bootable live DVD or is it capable of installation to another computer's hard drive like a remaster.sh iso?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You should be able to use the live.iso to install to hard drive. Use the text cli-installer though and make sure you answer Yes to the question: Is this a remastered install?

Good luck!
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:You should be able to use the live.iso to install to hard drive. Use the text cli-installer though and make sure you answer Yes to the question: Is this a remastered install?

Good luck!
Everything worked well using the cli-installer on the snapshot.iso CD.
Grub didn't pick up my antiX-11 install on sda1 though and an update-grub didn't get it either.
No biggie, I just edited grub manually.
BitJam
newbody wrote:So what am I supposed to do to boot frugally or to boot using the iso?
Good question. The answer is to use"from=hd". The three"from" choices are hd, usb, and cd.

hd = a non-usb hard drive
cd = removable media drive
usb = a usb hard drive

You can combine these. The default is"usb,cd" which is for LiveUSBs and LiveCDs. The"hd" choice is not part of the default. If it were then we would sometimes scan all the partitions on people's internal hard drives (up to 10 times each on failed boots) mounting each parition to look for the files we need for booting. This is rude so we only do it when requested.
Documentation available in /usr/share/antiX/live-boot-docs. okay but I can only read that
if it already is booted and running? So where is that documentation before one get it to boot.
Excellent point. I will attach a tarball of the provisional documentation for you.
I feel unsure of this code noxorg. Does that means it does not start up Xorg or X11 or whatever it is named?
I think it means to not bother making an xorg.conf file. This is the newer modern way. Someone else can tell you why it is needed.
The rootdelay option should never be needed now. If it is ever needed that is a bug that needs to be fixed.
title antiX-M11-base-686 (Root Persistence)
kernel /antiX/vmlinuz quiet lean noxorg blab=antiXlive vga=791 bdir=antiX persist
initrd /antiX/initrd.gz

But that one fail to boot too looking for the antiXlive dir or file.
So would it help to rename antiX dir to antiXlive ?
The blab (same thing as blabel) is the volume label for the device that we are booting from. In Linux you can see a list of these labels by running"ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/". This further reduces the number of partitions we will mount looking for the files we need for booting. If you are doing a frugral install then you really should use this option (or bdev or buuid) to point us to the partition you want us to boot from. Otherwise we will have to scan all of your internal hard drive partitions.

You can specify the device: bdev=/dev/sdb2 or bootdev=/dev/sdb2 or even bdev=sdb2
You can specify the uuid: buuid=10FD0241D0D5B4F or bootuuid=10FD0241D0D5B4F

The fromiso option is supported but deprecated. Some of the more advanced features (such as remastering) are not compatible with fromiso.

Live booting has changed dramatically. I'm very sorry we didn't provide you with the new documentation.

I've attached a tarball with a .gz extension because the forums reject a .tgz extension.

Send me a PM and I can try to help you with booting. I hope we can figure out how to smooth the transition for other people. As you point out, a good first step would be to provide documentation.
drg
With install of full version onto Dell P4, 3.2GHz, on bootup I’m stuck in the console (runlevel 3). To get into a gui I login as the user and type startx, or start slim as root. Same as with antiX.1 testing full.
Mounting of USB thumbdrives does work from the mountbox, even using 2 or 3 at same time.
newbody
Thanks I read the tar tomorrow. it is 10.45 PM so I go to bed. I failed to find the code for
frugal install on usb but maybe it is same as above then. or it is in the file.

isolinux.cfg suggest this one
LABEL antiX-icewm-desktop
KERNEL /antiX/vmlinuz
APPEND quiet noxorg nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0 lean blab=antiXlive
INITRD /antiX/initrd.gz
I will compare that one to the tarball. goodnight