anticapitalista
Site Admin
This should be the last one before final.

* Apps upgraded from rc3 to present
* Auto-login feature in antiXcc
* gmplayer bug fixed (I hope, please test)
* Samba/pyneighborhood added to install-meta
* fluxbox workspace bug fixed
* login audio added (comments welcome)
* MEPIS utilities updated

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Post comments here.
secipolla
From what I could see MPlayer still has the bug but GNOME MPlayer really did play the DVD fine.
secipolla
Oh, anti, if possible please set PCManFM to open html files with Dillo. Currently it's set to open with Abiword.
secipolla
anti, please comment lines 507-508 in antix2usb-gui.py (Brazilian version). This removes the up-to-now unused Help button.
TY
Stuart O'mahony
I'm running prefinal now. Only real issues so far - as with 8.5 rc3 - is that I have to change the /etc/default/keyboard file for a uk (gb) layout, and occasional screen black outs. Otherwise so far so good. Thanks for your hard work anticapitalista.
rokytnji
Just to Document.

I downloaded Prefinal. Md5sum checked. Made a Live uSB with Linux Unetbootin. You need mtools and 7zip (linux version) installed for Unetbootin to work properly.

Booted in Asus EEE PC 900 with Live USB. Opended Control Center. Opened Network. Opened Wicd. Went to preferences. In Gerneral typed in for wireless interface wlan0. Closed preferences. Hit the refresh button. Connected to my Wireless router.

Came to AntiX site and logged in and told everybody.

Proceeding with Full install. Opened installer. Agree to terms. Run Gparted. Open my 4 gig SD in slot. It is drive sdd. Delete Fat32 partition. Apply. Make new Ext2 partition. Label as / (rrot). Hit Apply. Right click on new ext2 partition when done and flag it as boot. Continue with install. Use Custom installer option. Tell it to preserve home partition.Hit Ok. Say Ok to poup that I don't want to format sdd. Install proceeds.

Select boot method. Sysytem boot disk is sdd. Left with defaults for everythiong else. Hit Next. Say yes to pop up window
Ok to install GFrub bootloader att sdd?
Grub installed OK
I accept defaults on next page and hit Next.
Computer Name: Biker
Computer Domain: Outlaw

Defaults for me on Next page. I speak English.
I go ahead and tick box for GMT.Next

User name and passwords. No I aint gonna tell.( I usually get a failed to name user directory popup. This has been consistent with my flash installs. It is no big deal. At least for me)
Finish
Error 21 on Reboot. Now to edit grub. Hmmmmm

Edit. Press any key to Continue
(root (hd0,3)
Press e to edit.
Change root (hd0,3) to (hd0,0)

Hit b for boot.

Loading please wait
sd 2:0:0:0: (sdc) assuming drive cach: write through

Hmmm. I winder if root delay is long enough. Time to boot up live and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and throw some parameters in the kernel line and change root line from
({hd0,3)
to
(hd0,0)
Permanent like.
dark-D
i still can't make a liveusb with antix2usb. after grub it drops me into a limited shell and says that it cannot find the antiX filesystem.

in any case mplayer worked for me.
the start-up theme i don't know about it. i don't use one.
set auto-login in romanian is translated: Autentificare automată
The default computer name is still mepis1 maybe it should be antix1.
glad that the colors for root are back.
rokytnji
Well got past error21. But stumped so far. Dropped to busy box intrfms.

Code: Select all

timeout 10
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title antiX at sdd1, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sdd1  rootdelay=10 nomce quiet no splash vga=normal 
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
boot

title Normal Boot
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.4-eeepc quiet rw vga=normal irqpoll root=/dev/sdd1 rootdelay=10
initrd /boot/initramfs-eeepc.img
Changed alot of stuff. It trys to boot with
root (hd0,0)
but drops me to busy box.
inserted rootdelay. And changed vga=788 to vga=normal. No luck yet. Gonna try another install and startform scratch/

Edit. Need to check my install tutorial at my webiste to see what I did to fix this first. It has been so damn long since I have done something like this and I am probably forgetting something simple.
rokytnji
Non of my old fixes are working. Normal boot brings up Xandros OK. Tried reinstall again on SD again.
Still dropped to bust box.

Code: Select all

timeout 10
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title antiX at sdd1, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sdd1 nomce quiet nosplash vga=788 
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
boot

title Normal Boot
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.4-eeepc quiet rw vga=785 irqpoll root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initramfs-eeepc.img
everything is stock except for root (hd0,0)

Next step. Going to download Iso (prefinal 8.5) to live pendrive and try a antix2usb install and see if I get what IceM is getting. Wish me luck. __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I have had success installing to a usb stick using the antix2usb.py script/app in antiX.
Boots fine on my box without need for rootdelay.
rokytnji
Update: Blew away full install on SD card using Gparted. Downloaded AntiX 8.5 Prefinal iso to Live Pendrive I made and md5sumed it for safety. Unmounted SD Flash drive. Opened Control Center

Went to disks. Picked out downloaded iso. Pointed it at SD Flash drive. Ext2 choice. Made the SD a 8.5 Persistent Flash Drive. Rebooted. Forgot about using F3 key yet. Haven't done it yet.

Anyhows. Booted up fine. Connected Wicd like my above posts. Jabbered with IceM. Rebooted to make sure changes were savd,Yes they were.

I figure antiX2usb is just as good as a full install to usb because you have a home partition on Flash drive that saves changes. So there aint much difference between a full install to External Flash vs antiX2usb installto external Flash.

Being the only member that has successfully done Full installs to external Flash Drives. I will roll with the punches and rethink on how I will run AntiX on External Drives. The Times they are a changing.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I have just been running antiX as a frugal install (in Puppy language) on a partition on my harddrive with rootfs persistence set. It works very well. It is very much like how Puppy runs and all savings are carried over to next boot. No real need to install.
There is a problem that needs fixing with running frugal concerning some scripts in /etc/init.d being wrongly reset on an upgrade. It isn't a big issue for running only as frugal, but it could be a problem if you run frugal on a stick and then want to install the new changes to hard drive.

I also installed (again) to a usb stick running the antix2usb.py script/app from within the frugal install, and that stick boots antiX fine. There must be something wrong ICE-M somewhere. Don't just transfer the iso file to the stick, use the app as the uuids will change. (if that was your mistake).
dark-D
I resolved the problem with the liveusb not booting. My sata controller was set on compatibility not on ahci. i changed it when i installed windows to check if i had fried my network card. Sorry for the mess.
secipolla
MPlayer did play the DVD fine here too.

roky, in fact installing antiX frugal with antix2usb can save some space in small drives.
rokytnji
Thanks secipolla. Last post from me today for testing. I downloaded and installed Debian Lenny Skype from Skypes site. I used dpkg -i to install deb pkg.

Adjusted Alsamixer for sound.
Camera is picked and works in cheese.
Mic is picked up and works in mhWavedit.
Skype picks up mic on Test 123 call.
Skype Picks up Camera on test Video.

Noticed Something. I really think. And this is just my Biker side speaking out. But if it is possible. In the final release. Could Sakasas Webisite be included in Iceapes toolbar somewhere between OU812 and Anticapailista boomarks somewhere as he is the only dude I know who makes wallpapers for AntiX and it would benefit New Users who are unaware of his site. Just saying. (Yeah I know. I am a pain in the you know what) __{{emoticon}}__

For all you netbook users. AntiX Roks.