dolphin_oracle
Hey roky,

I've done a full install to an external usb drive (check out your plop boot loader forum). I have not tried the SD slot on my eee904 though (no SD cards big enough).

Is your SD slot always sdd1? You might try specifying root via a UUID.

Just a thought.

d.o.
rokytnji
Yo Dolphin. Not always. On My AntiX 8.2 to SD install it was sdc1. Also on my antix2usb it was also sdc1. Only thing I can think of MAYBE> is that in antix2usb they require the drive to be unmounted during install. On my full install after running the installer and gparted on it. The drive was mounted. Makes my head spin when I think what the cause would be on why I got a perfectly good grub screen. It would start the boot. Think for 4 or so minutes. Then drop me to a busy box shell with (I think cuz it is early morning for me) initfrms
rokytnji
Strangest thing today.Booted up my Asus Persist AntiX. Booting I get a can't mount AntiX-Data, File system doesn't exist. I get to a pristine/virgin live Desktop .

I open pacmanfm and try to mount. No dice. I open pacmanfm as root and try to mount. No dice.
So I open Gparted. I am suprised to see my Data partition is showing it is full of Data.
On a hunch. (I have these from time to time). I tell gparted to check for errors and repair file system.

When done. I am back to 211mb being used on 3+ GIG on AntiX-Data partition. I reboot and this time I don't get the boot error. Low and behold. Everything is back to the way I had it. Trippy at best.
Davo
Davo
On a Centrino (Pentium M), using persistant usb boot (via antiX2usb)
To get CPU_frequency scaling working properly with powersaved,
I had to # modprobe acpi-cpufreq (and then add to /etc/modules to apply next boot).
Otherwise booting on Battery and then changing to AC, left the CPU throttled at half-speed i.e. 800Mhz instead of 1600Mhz.
I could force CPU to full-speed manually, of course, via # powersave --performance-speed -f
After modprobing acpi_cpufreq though, subsequent plugging/ unplugging AC registered instantaneously via Conky
Maybe idea to load acpi_cpufreq automatically (for those on Batttery) to aid with cpu_frequency_scaling
Screenshot:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://picpaste.com/2010-03-17-014211_1024x768_scrot.png"
linktext was:"http://picpaste.com/2010-03-17-014211_1 ... _scrot.png"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Conkyrc attached (single CPU only and with eth0 connection, using Gentium Bold Italic)
secipolla
The Conky is nice but it wasn't attached. After you choose the file hit 'Add the file' button.
RHTopics
I tested the Live CD on two computers:

- Gateway mt6451 notebook: AMD Turion 64, 2 GB ram, onboard ATI graphics card.
- Emachines t3256 desktop: AMD Athlon XP, 1 GB ram, onboard Nvidia graphics card.

Observations:

gmplayer worked okay when playing audio CDs and flac music files. The only oddity was the sound after playing the first track was reduced to minimum or was turned off. Clicking the sound icon on the player either re-engaged the sound or allowed the volume to be increased so that it could heard.

I got my Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go USB 3g Modem (MC760) to work by directly using wvdial. It could not get it to work using Gnome PPP. Here is what I did to get it to work:

- After inserting the USB Modem, I entered the following command in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

eject /dev/sr1
This ejects the"ZeroCD" contained on the USB device which allows the actual USB serial modem to be recognized by the system.

I edited the /etc/wvdial.conf file to contain the following:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Stupid Mode = 1
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777
Password = Internet
Username = Internet
I then entered the following command from a terminal window to connect:

su -c"pon.wvdial"
To disconnect I entered the command:

su -c"poff.wvdial"
I am getting some odd looking characters appearing in the terminal window. It appears the character set must be not correctly set. Here is an example:
demo@mepis1:~$ su -c"poff.wvdial"
Password:
Caught signal 15: Attempting to exit gracefully...
demo@mepis1:~$ --> Terminating on signal 15
--> pppd: X�@ ��@
--> Connect time 1.3 minutes.
--> Disconnecting at Thu Mar 18 04:38:59 2010
On these computers, the time is set to local time, not UTC. I live in central time zone (GMT -5). The clock is set to eastern time zone with the assumption the system clock is on UTC time, thus putting time 4 hours earlier than it should be. Is there a boot option for telling it not to use UTC time?

The"login audio" was okay for me. Not cheerful, but not bad.

I found I preferred the boot splash screen from the antiX-M8.2 better than the one in M8.5. I rebuilt the ISO image file using the /cdrom/boot/grub/message file from antiX-M8.2. Makes for a calmer boot up experience.

But I do like the theme and wallpaper in M8.5 better than M8.2.

I used"partimage" to make partition image copies of my hard drive. It appeared to work with out problems. But you really don't know until you try to restore your partitions with them.

On my desktop computer I have both a DVD writer and a CD-ROM drive. When I shutdown the computer with the CD in the CD-ROM drive, it did not try to eject the CD before shutting down.

There appears to be a privilege problem when trying to unmount a USB stick. I get the following message in a pop-up window when trying to unmount using demo user id:
Unable to unmount device

org.freedesktop.hal.storage.unmount-others no <-- (privilege, result)
This is my first experience using Iceape. It will take little while to get comfortable with its features and it's difference with other web browsers.

Overall, looks like this is going to be another good release.
secipolla
antiX assumes the system clock UTC. Maybe you could try to set the timezone again but being online, maybe it'll check with some server.
There's a checkbox in the installer for that but it doesn't work.

You can use xmms to play a cd as well. From the FAQ:
"To play an audio CD, pop it in your CD player, then (there is no autoplay) click Menu --> Applications --> Multimedia --> xmms. This brings up XMMS, a multimedia player for Unix systems. Click on the forward button (second from left) to start the CD. It may be necessary to point the player to the correct device, i.e. /media/cdrom (note: ../ means up one directory)."

Does the DVD writer eject the CD? In my experience this ability was lost completely in antiX 8.5.

Iceape internals are the same as Firefox. There are add-ons that work for both. I can't get online with antiX now I'm on dial-up but I only missed the easy search box. There must be some way to expand Iceape's search resources, though (maybe even with accelerators in the address bar?).
RHTopics
secipolla,

Thank you for replying to my post.

I mainly use antiX as a Live CD rather than install it. Since antiX does not change the system clock, it does not cause a problem other than putting the wrong date/time stamp on files that are created or modified. On some Live CDs, I believe Slax maybe one of them, it has a boot option that can be set to use local time. Sometimes there are boot options available that are not in the help screens in the boot menu.

Yes the DVD writer does eject the CD. That is true on both of my computers.

In Iceape to search for something just type it in the url box and then press the enter key. It will see what you entered is not an url and do a search on it instead. I am not in antiX right now, but I believe that is the quick way to do a search.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
RHTopics,

Welcome to antiX, 8.5 prefinal defaults to US eastern time, on the livecd to set the time:
click on Control Center (wrench & screwdriver on taskbar)> Hardware> Set Date and Time> (password=root)> America> OK> Chicago> OK
you should now be on central time.

Anti, I too notice some weird characters when doing the above, at the Chicago prompt:

<Oki^Q����Đo^Q> <Cancelo!>
Screenshot attached:

demo@mepis1:~$ inxi -F
System: Host mepis1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5-pre-final Marek Edelman 12 March 2010
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5450 (SMP) cache 2048 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips 6652.72
Clock Speeds: (1) 1000.00 MHz (2) 1667.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.5 Res: 1280x800@59.9hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1-DEVEL Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card-1 Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection driver iwlagn v: 1.3.27ks BusID: 03:00.0
Card-2 Marvell 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver sky2 v: 1.25 at port 2000 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 200.0GB (-) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK2035GS 200.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 101K (1%) fs: rootfs
Info: Processes 110 Uptime 38 min Memory 154.0/2015.5MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.8
also weird characters when opening antiX faq:

cheers,
oldhoghead
secipolla
The FAQ title is a problem of the document, not Dillo. It's very easy to correct and I may send it to SilverBear. The one in the prefinal is outdated, anyway.

-edit- BTW, here's the latest content I sent to him if someone wants to revise.
secipolla
anti, the antiX-FAQ link in the menu is pointing to the English on-line one. I didn't check in Fluxbox.
Please update then the menus (IceWM and Fluxbox) for both the Brazilian and the Portuguese versions for it to point to the off-line Portuguese file or to
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://sblinux.org/antix-port/"
linktext was:"http://sblinux.org/antix-port/"
====================================

TY
RHTopics
oldhoghead,

Thank you for the welcome.

I tried your suggestion on using the"Set Date and Time" tool. Unfortunately it does not have the ability to ask whether your hardware clock is set to UTC or not. It just makes the assumption the hardware clock is set to UTC.

Because I still have Windows installed on the hard drive, I need to have the hardware clock set to local time.

Well I thought, I will just"go with the flow". Using"Set Date and Time", I set the country to"Europe" and the city to"Isle of Man". That worked. Since it does not appear to set the hardware clock, it does not cause a problem for my hard drive installations.
masinick
I am here with updated packages bringing me current, but not a fresh install. The good news here, though, is that this is 1: Based on a basic BASE installation with all kinds of desktops and window managers, and 2. the Debian Squeeze stuff behind antiX seems to be behaving well.

I ran into two issues earlier in the cycle with antiX, one of them twice, but all seem to be resolved now. The first was that the X server seemed to be having issues that chewed memory. I believe that was traced to issues with the video driver code for some of the vendors (in any case, the driver on my Gateway 17"er is working fine now.) The second issue in the past was that the wicd package was hosed. I found a work around and wonder if this was antiX induced or induced elsewhere. The package we had assumed that there was a demo account and there wasn't one. I stumbled upon this by running some apt commands from the console, then added the demo account, and"Voila", working wicd packages again.

Everything else I've tried, whether in the antiX specific stuff or the Debian Squeeze stuff that I've thrown onto this system works and works very well. As of the pre-release, I have no remaining issues, unless I should happen to stumble on one later. Great job!
secipolla
Regarding RHTopics' remark on GRUB's theme. Maybe antiX could come also with a more impersonal one as an alternative.
secipolla
anti, I changed a little ~/Documents/startup_services. Updated to 8.5.

I noticed that usplash is installed and set to start automatically. Maybe that's the reason that on some updates people get the surprise of seeing a Debian usplash at work?

-edit- never mind, that happens when GRUB's boot line is changed (no more 'nosplash').