anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-M11-beta1 isos available for testing, in 3 flavours.

antiX-full, antiX-base and antiX-core

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
====================================

Built on 10 December 2010, antiX-M11-beta1 is an upgraded release of antiX-M8.5 as well as incorporating several changes since the release of antiX-M8.5 on 12 April 2010. We are still keeping with grub-legacy and the 2.6.32-1 MEPIS kernel at the moment.

Features:

* All applications upgraded via Debian Testing repositories to 10 December 2010.
* Bugs from antiX-M8.5 fixed.
* antiX-full now defaults to an icewm-rox desktop though other options are available in the boot menu.
* Chinese, Japanese and Korean fonts included in antiX-full, as well as ibus.
* no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is created by default, there is an option to create one by removing the noxorg cheat at boot.
* wallpaper is now set by feh and not nitrogen. The wallpaper application sets for icewm-rox, icewm, fluxbox-rox and fluxbox desktops. make sure you choose the correct one __{{emoticon}}__
* some new applications, replacements and removals. eg umt-panel2 (from aptosid) added for GPRS/UMTS/3G
* a basic cli-installer is included in all flavours. Useful for those with very little RAM.
* new icewm menu structure
* vim included
* new cheatcodes, see below.

New cheatcodes:

Set time zone. TZ=Continent/City eg TZ=Europe/Athens
Set keyboard. kbd=keyboard code(s) eg kbd=us,gr (US Engliah and Greek)
Allow auto-detection for devices. noxorg used by default.
Disable hal and dbus. nohal

antiX defaults to a US keyboard and locales. To set others, press F2 at boot grub menu and set your language if available. It should carry over to install. If your language is not in the menu, use the lang=xx and kbd=xx,yy cheats.

Please test and post feedback here.
secipolla
anti, you left rox enabled in icewm's and fluxbox's startup files. So all options load rox pinboard.
secipolla
Also, if you keep rednotebook instead of osmo must change ~./icewm/preferences

ClockCommand="rednotebook"
anticapitalista
Site Admin
They don't secipolla, I just tested again.
If Rox is not in the boot line, then the rox-pinboard entry in fluxbox/icewm startup files get commented out.

Edit: Thanks for the rednotebook/ice info.
secipolla
Not here anti. Maybe a localization issue?
For me fluxbox and icewm without rox only worked when I commented out the line in the startup files.

Now remembering well, actually there was a commented entry just after the not commented ones in both icewm/startup and fluxbox/startup (in the same line).

icewm/startup

Code: Select all

rox --pinboard=antiX-ice #rox --pinboard=antiX-ice &
fluxbox/startup

Code: Select all

rox --pinboard=antiX-fb #rox --pinboard=antiX-fb &
- Another issue. You didn't change the wallpaper changer command for non-English antix.cc (at least for the pt_BR one).

More later.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks for the wallpaper changer command in antiXcc. I had overlooked that.

Are you using the second or third options in the grub menu when booting? I tried again for pt_BR and it booted into a fluxbox and icewm desktop with no Rox.
secipolla
I used the first option (icewm-rox). So it's this then (it must enable rox in the startup file).
Now I booted with icewm no-icons and it works fine.
But the keyboard was set to 'us' (left alt+shift didn't toggle it).

Both times since it was with the noxorg option the F3 choice didn't work, it set an automatic resolution (here is 1280x1024; I usually choose 1024x768 with F3).

I suggest you work on /.icewm/keys. Like set alt+F2 for gexec (fluxbox uses it and it'sort of a standard). Maybe have a look at all shortcuts and try to set values that are common (like in GNOME maybe). I personally didn't check them, except for the run command, but it's just an observation.
secipolla
About the keyboard thing. I think it was because i had booted into icewm no-icons and then changed to rox-icewm. I guess in the live-cd it doesn't read the startup file when changing sessions so it went back to us keyboard. I noticed that because it didn't load conky too.
plvera
I tried the 486 core install but I ran into problems. After starting the cli-installer, and choosing N to repartitioning the disk, the option was to list the partition to be used. No matter what I picked, it would not work. (for example, I tried sd5 which is an empty partition),

I checked the mdsum on the downloaded file and it was fine.

Here's the specs of the system where I'm trying to install core:

System: Host laptop2 Kernel 2.6.36-1.dmz.4-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5-686-update 27 July 2010
CPU: Single core Mobile Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) cache 512 KB flags (sse sse2) bmips 3189.31
Clock Speeds: (1) 1599.960 MHz (2) 1599.960 MHz
Graphics: Card nVidia NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200 64M] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1400x1050@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports b800 bc40 BusID: 00:1f.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card-1 Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller driver b43-pci-bridge BusID: 02:02.0
Card-2 Broadcom BCM4401 100Base-T driver b44 v: 2.0 BusID: 02:01.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 60.0GB (6.8% used) 1: /dev/sda ST96812A 60.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 11G used: 3.7G (38%) fs: ext3 ID:/home size: 26G used: 226M (1%) fs: ext3
ID:swap-1 size: 1.09GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Info: Processes 104 Uptime 1:03 Memory 125.6/501.4MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.22

Any suggestions?
thanks
masinick
I hope I am not"late to the party!" I will download this and give it a whirl as soon as I can! As is my habit, I am already sharing news about this at some of my favorite forums, and I hope we get a lot of good testing in!
Dave
will be looking at this as well, let you know if I notice anything
masinick
masinick wrote:I hope I am not"late to the party!" I will download this and give it a whirl as soon as I can! As is my habit, I am already sharing news about this at some of my favorite forums, and I hope we get a lot of good testing in!
Well, so far, I have downloaded the full image, and I am running it in Live form using the default (first) option and it works fine for me. As usual, great job! Super look on the boot manager screen and also on the desktop! I am going to enjoy this release, that's for sure! I'll be looking forward to future builds, and as time permits, I will experiment with various options. The fact that the first thing I tried worked perfectly is a good sign! Keep up the good work!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
pedro, try using hda1
plvera
Anti:
It didn't work. I get the message:
hda1 invalid. Retry
And I get this message no matter what choice I enter.
Thanks
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What if you try Y option at fdisk?