plvera
Anti:
I get:
Opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write

I hit Enter anyway and a bunch of messages show up and then a menu screen showing (among other things)

Disk Drive /dev/hda 106.94 MB free space

That's clearly not the size of the hard drive. So, something else is the problem.

thanks.
Dave
Looks great anti,
have 2 suggestions
1. in full with rox desktop it may be a good idea to add antiX Installer as a desktop icon
2. for full / base I would edit conky.rc to make it easy to read on all backgrounds, some backgrounds it seems conky is not running. Did this to my conky by changing these to areas, makes the text slightly larger and outlined ( kind of like font shading )
# Xft font when Xft is enabled
xftfont sans:size=10

# Draw outlines?
draw_outline yes

# Default colors and also border colors
default_color 9a9a9a
default_shade_color white
default_outline_color 000000
NoSavvy
Just installed the antiX-M11-full-beta1-686.iso on a Dell Latitude C400 with 256mb of memory. Tried a selection of install methods to get a screen up. Had problems getting the Intel driver to install and the vesa one would only work in 640 x480 mode. Tried sgfxi 2 or 3 times and eventually found out that when installing the Intel driver it was setting the colour depth to 24 bit, changed this to 16 bit and everything is working great as was your previous 8.5 version.

Well done.

NS.
dark-D
preliminary testing done on an antix full liveusb:
1. antix starts in icewm with no icons, not in icewm with rox desktop.
2. conky is a little hard to read on those colors and sometimes when i change the wallpaper conky isn't shown or the background (wallpaper) doesn't change for the conky window.
3. pcmanfm desktop starts in the menu but if i try to disable it, it doesn't work.
4. the wallpaper app it's nice, but i find it a little difficult when it comes to knowing what wallpaper to choose, i saw the view option but i prefer nitrogen. thanks for keeping the settings for nitrogen in the start-up files. it makes the job easier to reinstall it.
5. i tested the new umt-panel script, for regular user it doesn't connect, i get an error about ppp not having permissions to do something. i was surprised to see all my country's 3g operators settings in there. i opened the script in root and i connected to vodafone and orange modems for my country, i have one more to test. this is a great addition to antix and the linux world. network manager or utms didn't worked for me and the vodafone linux app seams to be broken.
6. the messenger app what can i say, it's very limited. on yahoo it doesn't have avatars, the status is weird to set-up, the smiles are limited and after 5 min of using i got a critical error and the program was terminated. i have to do a little more testing, but so far it's a mess, sorry. in arch linux repos there is a pidgin-light package. it's without gstreamer, tcl, tk, xscreensaver support.No video/voice. this saves a lot of space from pidgin install. can't we use this in antix?
7. for the past weeks i was playing with deadbeef gtk audio player. it seams quite stable from the last time i used it. i love gogglesmm, but, it doesn't work with my svg icons. also it's hard to get the latest versions, i'm using a deb built for ubuntu. i was thinking that deadbeef can replace gogglesmm, gxime, xine and xmms. (deadbeef repo taken from debian forums
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://hadret.rootnode.net/"
linktext was:"http://hadret.rootnode.net/"
====================================
)
8. dhcp is enabled by default and my dsl connection drops all the time because of this. on persistent liveusb i can modify the /etc/network/interfaces to remove all lines with dhcp in them. if i don't do that the dsl connection in liveusb is not an option for me. is there a solution to solve this? at least for me.

* this is for me __{{emoticon}}__ : can't we reverse to iceweasel, xchat, claws and the rest. i don't like the iceape suite at all. i use only the browser, the settings are all wrong from the mainsteam browsers and i can't see a big difference in performance. is midori a good option as a web browser?

i still have to test a lot of things, i hope i don't run in any other things.
masinick
So far I've been running antiX M11 full in live mode. Ran it yesterday on my Gateway and everything worked beautifully. I found one problem today on my Lenovo - a minor one - having trouble getting the sound to work. I tend to have more sound problems on this Lenovo than I do on my other portable, the Gateway 2000 series PA6A 17" portable. The Lenovo 3000 series Y410 laptop isn't providing any sound; checked the audio mixer and configured it as best I could with no audible results. That's the only thing I've seen. Other than that, this runs superbly live on both systems, and I particularly enjoy loading it live adding toram - it's really fast in that configuration, so that's mostly what I've been testing.

demo@antiX1:~$ inxi -F
System: Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-686-beta1 10 December 2010
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5450 (-MCP-) cache 2048 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips 6650.28
Clock Speeds: (1) 1000.00 MHz (2) 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1280x800@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card-1 Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3 v: 3.102 BusID: 06:00.0
Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver iwl3945 v: 1.2.26ks BusID: 04:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (-) 1: /dev/sda FUJITSU_MHY2160B 160.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 111K (1%) fs: rootfs ID:swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Info: Processes 112 Uptime 52 min Memory 203.1/2016.1MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.22
demo@antiX1:~$
dark-D
masinick i have a thinkpad r61i with an identical sound card

Code: Select all

inxi -A
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
the sound works in liveusb for me. at start-up i can hear alsa starting when the power comes to my headphones and at the end of the boot it seams to stop itself, but the sound works. the only problem i had, is that i get a popping sound in the headphones when i start or close a media player or when i adjust the mixer settings. haven't installed it to see it the popping continues. HTH.

speaking of sound the last kernel in where i have loud sound is 2.6.34-2.dmz.3-liquorix-686 after this, in any other kernel the sound is very low. i read on some forums that others are having this problem, i don't know what was changed in the kernel or in alsa drivers. i'm curious to see how the 2.6.36 mepis kernel works for me.
Cuttlefish
Hello,
In liveCD. Full version i686
Desktop: Compaq SR5610F, will not boot under the default antiX-Desktop. Also will not boot under antiX-Icewm-no icons, and fluxbox-no icons. It will hang up on antiX1 login for all three.
Will boot fine under antiX Extra Options though, and I'm able to log in and out of various options, ie. rox-fluxbox, rox-icewm and they also work fine.

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A105-S2101 will boot under all options. When I log in to a different desktop under liveCD the screen will go black and have to do a hard reboot. It has happened 2x. I will need to try again to see exactly when/why it happens. Wicd doesn't work, but tried and true Ceni is just fine. Thanks for enabling touchpad taping.

I have to agree with ICE-M about Nitrogen vs Feh. I like Nitrogen better. Same reasons.
I also would prefer iceweasel.

Overall the performance is really good with liveCD !!

Dave
Last edited by Cuttlefish on 13 Dec 2010, 23:35, edited 2 times in total.
masinick
ICE-M wrote:masinick i have a thinkpad r61i with an identical sound card

inxi -A
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
the sound works in liveusb for me. at start-up i can hear alsa starting when the power comes to my headphones and at the end of the boot it seams to stop itself, but the sound works. the only problem i had, is that i get a popping sound in the headphones when i start or close a media player or when i adjust the mixer settings. haven't installed it to see it the popping continues. HTH.

speaking of sound the last kernel in where i have loud sound is 2.6.34-2.dmz.3-liquorix-686 after this, in any other kernel the sound is very low. i read on some forums that others are having this problem, i don't know what was changed in the kernel or in alsa drivers. i'm curious to see how the 2.6.36 mepis kernel works for me.
That sound card can work - I logged on to another system after that and it worked. I've had it work with antiX before. There may have been something with the options I chose. The fact is that at least under one scenario it did not work for me. I will visit it again during the course of this week to see if I can figure out what's causing the problem. Sound worked fine on my other system with this build, so whatever is flaky might be at the system level and not because of anything peculiar to antiX.
drg
RE antiX-M11-full-beta1 (the 686 version)

Resolution choice (F3 at install) sticks to HD if the “noxorg” is not used. Does not if it is used.

Using HD installed with or without the noxorg cheatcode brought same results concerning:
-boot into runlevel 3, then as root typed slim, went to runlevel 5, all OK.
-boot into runlevel 5, then into runlevel 3 , back and forth, worked fine, much relieved.

Here got a problem:
In runlevel 5, did logout, which dumped into runlevel 3 which still worked fine for cli apps, but going to Ctrl-Alt-F7 gives only a blinking cursor, no response to keyboard.
Back to Ctrl-Alt-F1, as root typed slim, got “slim : stale lockfile found, removing it”, then returned to the root@antiX1 prompt. Tried “slim” again, no go, no change.
Tried “startx” as root, with/without the “noxorg” installs, gives no solution.

Tried dpkg-reconfigure slim, got: “slim: insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (2 5) of script `slim' overwrites defaults (2 3 4 5)”. Makes no difference.

Got same overall results with gdm3 (gnome display manager, had it on hand to install).

? Slim not the problem itself, just not getting what it needs?
Allowing auto-detection for devices, right, certainly for it.
Noticed that the udev service/daemon is not enabled by default.

Using a Pentium II 500MHz 64MB ram.

Using HD with antiX-686-beta1 already installed from Athlon 1.4GHz 512MB ram swapped in: bootup and use OK.

Oddly, conky and inxi -F now report no active swap. (Was there on the Athlon; but maybe I’d made a change somewhere and forgot?) Not enough ram to use gparted, but fdisk -l said there was a Linux swap/solaris. /etc/fstab does have line “/dev/sda2 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0“ from the install. Plugged HD back into Athlon, and found that swap was again enabled there. Puzzlement.

Boot and run from livecd into runlevel 3 OK, not so happy into runlevel 5 but gets there playing with cheatcodes.

cli-installer worked OK.
secipolla
You can try Ctrl+Alt+F8

Also to restart the display manager you can use 'service slim restart'
secipolla
anti, maybe xarchive is very small, ok but it isn't very functional. xarchiver is much more functional and has out-of-the-box integration with pcmanfm.
If I was to choose the apps I would go with file-roller. In spite of its size (not much more than the others when considering the dependencies) it's certainly the best, fully featured (I didn't try squeeze file archiver, but that one is even bigger).

Maybe later on, if you have the guts, you could split antiX full in separate icewm and fluxbox editions. Or make the base fluxbox and the full icewm if you think it can simplify (then you could, for instance, choose a better archiving app and maybe stick with pcmanfm instead of rox or something the like to keep it reasonably slim).
secipolla
anti, just for you to know. In /usr/bin/auto-icewm-menu.sh, if you don't use the option --entire-menu it will create menuprog entries instead of a finished menu.
This means that the menus may have a slight delay when opened (probably more noticeable in very old machines) but they become auto-updatable.

Anyway, it's a tip for people that use faster computers.
plvera
I did a new download of the core-install iso and a fresh CD burn and I still can't get it to work. It gets stuck on the script to partition the drive. It does not matter what option I pick (Y,N; hda, hda1,sda) it will not detect the hard drive correctly.

Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone successfully installed core yet?

thanks

Pedro
rokytnji
Well, I'm late for the party. Christmas stuff is tying me up. Gotta trip planned for Arizona next Monday.

Booting up Live USB using Unetbootin 494 version. Boots up OK on my IBM M57 wireless Desktop OK. Wicd won't open via antiXcc. Tried as root in terminal to open wicd. No joy there wither. Next tried rutilt. Numerous popup error windows opened with error 22. Had to kill rutilt with xkill. Tried Ceni next . Would not connect via dhcp. Inxi showed that rt61 driver was powering wireless card and ifconfig shows wlan0. Gave up on that for now and moved on to my Asus EEEPC 900.

On the Asus. Would not boot. Could not find AntiX file system. Tried boot cheat code rootdelay=20 on default and fast boot and netbook grub entries one at a time. Still would not find antix file system. Gave up for now and moved on to Asus Micro Desktop in the House connected to land line. Posting this post right now from the Asus Desktop. Wicd still won't open via antixcc. But connects ok automatically via landline anyhows.

Later I will try and boot this pen drive up on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 Netbook. So far. It boots up OK on my 2 dual core Desktops. No wireless hookup on my IBM M57. I will boot it up later and post inxi specs via Ubuntu 10.04 which is what is installed on it. Not sure if my burn with unetbootin is ok or what yet since it works on Desktops but not on Netbook yet. Just a preliminary post to show what problems I have encountered so far. I never had to connect statically via wireless. My Network is open (no wep,wpa,etc...)

Asus Micro Desktop inxi below

demo@antiX1:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-686-beta1 10 December 2010
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (-MCP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips 8805.2 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 2200.130 MHz (2) 2200.130 MHz
Graphics:  Card nVidia G71 [GeForce 7900 GS] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1280x1024@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:14.2
Network:   Card Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI at port dc00 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 322.1GB (0.2% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD3200AAKS 320.1GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb DataTraveler_2.0 2.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 101K (1%) fs: rootfs ID:swap-1 size: 6.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 93 Uptime 21 min Memory 139.1/2023.9MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.22 
The plan is. I am going to use the antix2usbpy to make a persistent USB to see where that takes me. I will try to make it on the Acer Aspire One Netbook first (if I can get it to boot). Then try and run it on the EEEPC and then the Desktops. __{{emoticon}}__

Hope this plan comes together. __{{emoticon}}__

Edit Update: My inxi on IBM M57 but showing UBUNTU because I can't post wireless yet on this desktop via AntiX 11 yet.

~$ inxi -F
System:    Host harry-desktop Kernel 2.6.32-27-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Ubuntu 10.04 lucid
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual E2160 (-MCP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips 7181.52 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 1800.00 MHz (2) 1800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.6 Res: 1024x768@85.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Q35 GEM 20091221 2009Q4  GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Network:   Card-1 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver rt61pci v: 2.3.0 BusID: 11:0c.0
           Card-2 Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver e1000e v: 1.0.2-k2 at port 1820 BusID: 00:19.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (9.0% used) 1: /dev/sda ST380815AS 80.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 9.5G used: 4.6G (51%) fs: ext4 ID:/home size: 61G used: 2.2G (4%) fs: ext4 
           ID:swap-1 size: 3.27GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 179 Uptime 1 min Memory 275.0/1983.5MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.22 
The rt61pci was loaded in AntiX 11 but no connection via wlan0.
rokytnji
Just a little more dtail on what is going on with wicd and me . This is on Asus Micro Desktop.

Forgot to mention. I checked md5sum before I used unetbootin to make usb also.