drg
Installing antiX-686-beta1 (full) onto a Pentium II 500MHz, 64MB ram:

Success with using the cli-installer and the “noxorg" option, but ................

Not for the faint-hearted, had problems with getting an enabled /swap.

From runlevel 3, tty console:
-noticed the cfdisk partitoner uses /hda1 and /hda2 as default for / and /swap.
-/etc/fstab did not have an entry for the swap.
-fdisk -l reported a Linux swap/Solaris.
-conky, htop and inxi -F showed no swap enabled.
-tried swapon command to enable swap, no go, wrong tool?
-added line “ /dev/hda2 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0 “ to fstab, reboot, no difference, no swap enabled, not sure if this is needed or not with the noxorg option.
-disabled a lot of services/daemons using sysv-rc-conf to reduce ram usage (have only 64M).
-reboot runlevel 3, as root typed slim, this worked OK, got into fluxbox. Enough ram now without swap to use gparted.
-gparted did not recognize the cfdisk /swap partition, saw it as unknown. Deleted it, then made a new /swap partition as linux swap, made new partition table.
-then finally, was able to have gparted “swapon” the swap.

Good news: the enabled swap “sticks”, with repeated shutdowns/reboots.

Question====> is there a way to do this, ie enable swap from tty console?

More good news: a logout works OK, gives another slim, go to fluxbox, rox-....., whatever.

With this install I mean, not the earlier Athlon attempt. Now logout does not kick me into tty1, no way to get back to runlevel 5.

Switching to tty1...3, ie Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc, and back to gui works OK.

Booting into the gui works best by using runlevel 3 first, type slim as root, which takes you into runlevel 5. Straight into runlevel 5 gives a hangup, not enough ram (usually; it worked without hangup only once for me).

(Previous post was about installing from the gui, using Gparted to partition an Athlon 1.4GHz 512MB ram. Signicant differences compared to this one.)

Now plugged this HD from PII into the Athlon, and it boots into gui if choose the “root=UUID.......” option. Good.

But we are back to same problems as the first gparted install attempt on this machine:

-the monitor resolution is the highest by default, not what I chose on install
-the logout kicks back into tty1, can’t get into runlevel 5, slim won’t manage, etc
-swap is now not enabled. Used gparted to again “swapon”.

? A strong dislike of the Athlon?
rokytnji
Now on Acer Aspire One ZG5.

Code: Select all

demo@antiX1:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-686-beta1 10 December 2010
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom N270 (-HT-) cache 512 KB flags (sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips 3193.88 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1024x600@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 945GME GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card-1 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k v: 0.6.0 BusID: 03:00.0
           Card-2 Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI at port 3000 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 162.0GB (0.4% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD1600BEVT 160.0GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb DataTraveler_2.0 2.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 105K (1%) fs: rootfs ID:swap-1 size: 2.11GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 119 Uptime 5 min Memory 121.1/997.6MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.22 
Wicd still won't open. Tried all different options in gexec and atixcc. Ceni would not connect wireless either . Now hooked up via land line. Connects ok via landline on reboot. I will try ceni now that landline is connected to see if it helps wireless. Tap on mousepad works out of the box. Details later.

exact error for rutilt is"can't get frequency channel" I got the same message for wireless on iBM M57 Desktop also. Mutiple popups also.........
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I messed up wicd. Install wicd-gtk and then open it as wicd-gtk. Will fix.
rokytnji
anticapitalista wrote:I messed up wicd. Install wicd-gtk and then open it as wicd-gtk. Will fix.
Ok. Tried it. Still running Live USB. So

# apt-get update
apt-get install wicd-gtk

Install went fine. Went to actixcc to open wicd. Had some progress as I got a password window. Entered Password.

Don't know if that error message is because I am running live instead of install. I am downloading AntiX full 11 right now. At 19% so far. Will try a persisent usb next to see if I can sort things out.

root@antiX1:/home/demo# wicd-gtk
Has notifications support True
Connecting to daemon...
Can't connect to the daemon, trying to start it automatically...
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Make sure when booting live that the lean cheat is not used.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I need to fix this for the next version.
rokytnji
rokytnji
Got it working Anti. Just kept trying wicd-gtk in terminal as root and it finally opened and connected.
Posting wirelessly now and downloading iso wirelessly also.

rokytnji
Just reporting that antix2usbpy went without a hitch

demo@antiX1:/aufs/home/demo$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                 499M  4.0K  499M   1% /aufs/lib/init/rw
udev                   10M  288K  9.8M   3% /dev
tmpfs                 499M  8.0K  499M   1% /dev/shm
rootfs                 16M  107K   16M   1% /
/dev/sdb1             630M  594M   31M  96% /isosrc
/dev/loop0            587M  587M     0 100% /cdrom
/dev/loop1            580M  580M     0 100% /linux
/ramdisk              798M  4.0K  798M   1% /ramdisk
/dev/sdb2             1.3G   92M  1.2G   8% /persist-root
/aufs                 1.3G   92M  1.2G   8% /aufs
demo@antiX1:/aufs/home/demo$ 
Any further posts by me will be made from AntiX 11 frugal persistent live USB (2 gig Kingston Data Traveler)

I installed wicd-gtk and wireless works through wicd on this install. Edited ~/.icewm/startup

sleep 2 && wicd-client &

Calling it a night. Will peruse later.
Happy trails, Rok
masinick
Nice persistence there, Rok! Glad you got things working - on a persistent live device, no less! __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Well, I tried this (I know. I thought I called it a night. But I just can't keep my hands off) pendrive on my Asus EEEPC 900. Got real close to booting it up. But dropped me to limited Shell # , with a can't find antiX file system, sorry. So to double check. Tried rootdelay=30. But it was a bust. Same error.

So to show how well it runs on the Acer Aspire One ZG5

I guess I am going to be one of the few that likes the way setting wallpaper on Desktop works with Feh. One reason is I like the view feature. Another is how wallpaper sticks through all theme changes with out having to edit /usr/share/icewm/themes which I think is cool also. Nice also that wallpaper can be set on other desktops also.

Loving this so far Anti. Usually my persistent installs work on the EEEPC but not on the Acer. Funny how roles are reversed now. Will boot this baby up tomorrow on Wireless IBM M57 Desktop Tomorrow to put it through some paces on it.
Happy Trails and Merry Christmas everyone, Rok
masinick
Love your creativity there Rok! Also, that background is one of my two or three favorites in the antiX background collection. I usually like woods or waterfront type stuff, or sometimes a grassy field.
dolphin_oracle
I'm a little late to the party, but I'm downloading the iso now. Rok, I'll have a go on my EEE904 and see what happens. I'll report back later.
rokytnji
Good luck dolphin_oracle. Just booted up on IBM M57 wireless Desktop in Motorcycle shop. Had to change wicd preferences from wlan0 to wlan1. Also changed ~/.conkyrc to recognize this Desktop Hardware.

Installed Iron Browser in /aufs/home/demo/iron-linux/iron
It just runs faster than Iceape and picks up plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins ok. Just a personal Preference. Trying out Daves Conky Event also.
So far no problems other than EEEPC related. But not booted up for long enough time yet to run through some Desktops and paces yet.
rokytnji
Tested out playing a downloaded youtube video. In Gnome Mplayer. Full Screen gives 2 small windows. This is in MP4 format, In Xine plays full screen OK. Probably a Gnome Mplayer glitch instead of anything else. Otherwise. Video plays good with no skip or stutter on integrated video chip on motherboard. Kewl. Just posting for info.
dolphin_oracle
FYI my eee904ha booted up just fine. function keys for turning off the screen and wireless seem to work ok. the webcam works fine in cheese. I do get the ghosting in gnome-mplayer (and my sample video was a fairly simple cartoon). Note that the standard mplayer worked fine with my video as well.

wicd is listed in control centre but refused to start for me, and its not listed under"network" on the fluxbox menu. ceni worked fine.

the new"feh" interface in control center does not fit on my 1024x600 screen. Minor annoyance, but off-putting. Actually, many programs launched from control centre start with their title-bars off the top of my screen.

the"speaker" setting under alsamixer defaulted to zero. A quick adjustment and I had sound.

It may be I'm nuts, but it seemed to take longer to boot and seems slower to run that 8.5 did off the live-usb.

this is running off a live-usb key with persistence.