Shay
processor that supports SSE2.
BitJam
Thanks for the feedback Hierax_ca! I can respond to a few of your points.
Hierax_ca wrote:Also on cli, it would be nice to have a cli option in the Grub menu to boot without GUI
For the live system, the installed system or both? I almost always boot the live system with the options"db+ 3" but"fdb+ 3" might be slightly better for you. In either case, you are automatically logged into 3 of the virtual consoles.
Time: still have to manually set after install using CC despite setting it when installing.
By"install using CC" do you mean the command line installer?
Sound not working (cc test sound card pops up then vanishes), so I can't test the Audio + Video stuff,
There is a bug in this early release of the antiX-cli-cc: it doesn't pause when it is supposed when run in a terminal window. We are working on fixing this. In the meantime, it should work correctly from inside a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc). This won't fix the sound problem but it will let you see the error message if there is one.
BitJam, FWIW, following up on the MX Jessie feedback last year, the x301 still is having the same optical drive issue to but raw Debian XFCE installed fine.
Can you remind me and/or PM me a link? I wouldn't mind taking another crack at fixing this.

I think you made a number of other good points but they are not in my bailiwick (area of expertise).
chrispop99
I've been trying b1 on my oldest test box - a P3 machine.

I installed all of the web browsers in the PI. Only QupZilla and SeaMonkey will launch due to the lack of SSE2 support on this box, and they both crash shortly after starting.

SMTube will launch. Selecting a video opens a black window briefly; this then closes. Using another player as default doesn't help.

I think this poor old thing needs putting out of its misery!

Code: Select all

chris@antix1:~
$ inxi -F
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit)
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.12+mod+20170325.1
           Distro: antiX-17.b1_386-full keerfa 29 June 2017
Machine:   Device: laptop System: IBM product: 26474NG
           Mobo: IBM model: 26474NG BIOS: IBM v: 1AET53WW (1.10 ) date: 03/07/2002
Battery    BAT0: charge: 33.9 Wh 100.0% condition: 33.9/38.9 Wh (87%)
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium III Mobile (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
           speed/max: 733/1133 MHz
Graphics:  Card: S3 Graphics SuperSavage IX/C SDR
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: vesa Resolution: 1024x768@0.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio:     Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller
           driver: e100
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:d0:59:bf:01:d4
           Card-2: Ralink RT5370 Wireless Adapter driver: rt2800usb
           IF: wlan0 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 40.0GB (12.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HTS541040G9AT00 size: 40.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 35G used: 2.8G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: 53.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A fan-1: 0
Info:      Processes: 127 Uptime: 38 min Memory: 88.7/1002.4MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.21 
Chris
figosdev
if you have an old laser printer with a parallel port instead of usb or ethernet, thats pretty much what that machine is good for. that or an mp3 jukebox.

i have a p4 im not using for anything, but the thing i use for printing is a laptop with the screen removed. (an lcd monitor is way nicer than the screens that came standard on laptops back then. even p4 laptops have kind of lousy screens.)
chrispop99
figosdev wrote:if you have an old laser printer with a parallel port instead of usb or ethernet, thats pretty much what that machine is good for. that or an mp3 jukebox.

i have a p4 im not using for anything, but the thing i use for printing is a laptop with the screen removed. (an lcd monitor is way nicer than the screens that came standard on laptops back then. even p4 laptops have kind of lousy screens.)
Old junk like this is also OK to use as an always-on torrent box. I have an old Dell D430 with a broken HDD. They use an unusual drive that is unavailable now pretty much, so I have a standard 2.5 SATA drive hooked up with USB. It's advantage is its low power requirement. It's on 24/7/365 seeding a number of distros.

Chris
Cajun_Man0001
I would like to beta test this, but I am having a interesting issue.

I have a AMD FX-6300 processor with 32 gigs of ram, a GTX 970 graphics card. I also have a Logitech G29 wheel attached which I use for American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2.

When I boot the antiX 17 b1 iso, I start to move the mouse and seems like after about a minute, sometimes quicker, the pointer shoots to the bottom of the screen. If I move the mouse up, it'll try to come up, but gets dragged down.

If I unplug the wheel, the mouse pointer acts normal. But once it's plugged back in, I lose control of the mouse pointer.

I had this problem with MX-16.1 as well. Just tried MX-16 and no problem with the mouse pointer.

But both MX-16.1 and antiX 17 b1 does not like the wheel plugged in.

Where I have the computer placed makes it difficult to get to the plug, so unplugging and re-plugging is really not something I want to do, have no room to move system.

I'm not sure what changed between MX-16 and MX-16.1 to suddenly have my G29 wheel interfere with the mouse pointer as well as antiX 17 b1, but can't use a system where I can't control a mouse pointer.
BitJam
Cajun_Man0001 wrote:When I boot the antiX 17 b1 iso, I start to move the mouse and seems like after about a minute, sometimes quicker, the pointer shoots to the bottom of the screen. If I move the mouse up, it'll try to come up, but gets dragged down.
A Google(linux Logitech G29 wheel) brought up this thread:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://forum.manjaro.org/t/using-logitech-g29-wheel-on-manjaro/9343/2"
linktext was:"Using Logitech G29 Wheel on Manjaro"
====================================
which says:
Remove xf86-input-joystick. I have a G27 and I can move the mouse cursor by pressing the clutch pedal :slight_smile: Edit: I DO NOT use the wheel on Linux. I just wanted to disable this freaking mouse cursor moving.

There might be better approaches but one way to remove it would be to run:

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-input-joystick
Another approach might by to try to blacklist a kernel module that is used for the joystick. You could run"lsmod | grep joy" to see if there are any obvious candidates.
Cajun_Man0001
BitJam wrote: There might be better approaches but one way to remove it would be to run:

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-input-joystick
Another approach might by to try to blacklist a kernel module that is used for the joystick. You could run"lsmod | grep joy" to see if there are any obvious candidates.
I'll give that a try and see.

Thanks.
BitJam
@skidoo, I've tracked down two bugs in the new console font code thanks to your reports. Let's see if everything is fixed in beta-2 or if I still have more work to do.

@dolphin_oracle, I've re-enabled deletion in live-usb-save and I've fixed the unrelated bug that caused me to disable it in the first place. We'll also have wlan1 and eth1 entries in the conkyrc. PLMK if you want to try re-enabled deletion before the next beta.
Hierax_ca
Hierax_ca wrote:Also on cli, it would be nice to have a cli option in the Grub menu to boot without GUI
For the live system, the installed system or both? I almost always boot the live system with the options"db+ 3" but"fdb+ 3" might be slightly better for you. In either case, you are automatically logged into 3 of the virtual consoles.
Sorry, I'm not understanding this db? fdb? virtual consoles? I'm not explaining it well but I was looking for a way to start antiX without starting"X", I can almost get a sort of temporary cli using Control+Alt+F1 but the X-windows GUI is still running underneath it, so I thought it would be nice to have an entry in the GRUB menu to choose to run just pure cli without starting any X windows or GUI Desktop Environment. I'm not sure if that explains it better. FWIW, I was asking because the ancient Toshiba Tecra 780dvd it would be cool if I could get it to just run purely cli (no ICEWM, etc.) it would still be useful dual-booting with the Win98se retro-gaming stuff, even antiX is a bit slow on it with 233MHz CPU and 192MB RAM, and having an option to temporary boot cli only would be neat -- sorta like the old days of with Windows 98 booting to DOS7. No big deal but really really old computers with cli could still safely do internet stuff that otherwise they couldn't.
Time: still have to manually set after install using CC despite setting it when installing.
I just meant when installing whether it is from the regular GUI or CLI interface I choose time zone as Vancouver but then on reboot it doesn't stick so I go to the Control Center on the menu and manually set it and then thereafter it sticks on reboot.
Sound not working (cc test sound card pops up then vanishes), so I can't test the Audio + Video stuff,
There is a bug in this early release of the antiX-cli-cc: it doesn't pause when it is supposed when run in a terminal window. We are working on fixing this. In the meantime, it should work correctly from inside a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc). This won't fix the sound problem but it will let you see the error message if there is one.
Sorry, here by CC I meant Control Center: i.e., Menu --> Control Center --> Hardware --> Test Sound. This issue is only with the Thinkpad 600x sound card, sound is working fine with antiX on the newer computers.
BitJam, FWIW, following up on the MX Jessie feedback last year, the x301 still is having the same optical drive issue to but raw Debian XFCE installed fine.
Can you remind me and/or PM me a link? I wouldn't mind taking another crack at fixing this.temporary
I've PMed you on the old posts from the MX15 feedback in the MX Forums so you can see the old comments along with the new. In summary, my main comparative distro findings on the Thinkpad x301 Optical Drive issues are: Simply Mepis 12 (11.9.92) runs Live DVD fine, Sparky Linux also a Debian 9 distro runs Live DVD and installs on hardware, and Linux Lite does everything running Live DVD, installing on hardware, playing Audio CDs and Video DVDs without issue. I don't know if anyone else is having issues with an optical drive but if they are maybe a similar comparison could show where to look for a fix. If not no big deal, I'll be able to use the x301 Thinkpads with additional ssd instead or just use another Distro like Lite. antiX/MX works so well with all my other computers it would be great if I could totally standardize on it and not worry about other distros at all. All help is greatly appreciated -- Thank You!

Sorry, I'm not understanding this db? fdb? virtual consoles? I'm not explaining it well but I was looking for a way to start antiX without starting"X", I can almost get a sort of temporary cli using Control+Alt+F1 but the X-windows GUI is still running underneath it, so I thought it would be nice to have an entry in the GRUB menu to choose to run just pure cli without starting any X windows or GUI Desktop Environment. I'm not sure if that explains it better.
I just meant when installing whether it is from the regular GUI or CLI interface I choose time zone as Vancouver but then on reboot it doesn't stick so I go to the Control Center on the menu and manually set it and then thereafter it sticks on reboot.
Sorry, here by CC I meant Control Center: i.e., Menu --> Control Center --> Hardware --> Test Sound. This issue is only with the Thinkpad 600x sound card, sound is working fine with antiX on the newer computers.
Can you remind me and/or PM me a link? I wouldn't mind taking another crack at fixing this.temporary
BitJam, I've PMed you on the old posts from the MX15 feedback in the MX Forums so you can see the old comments along with the new. In summary, my main comparative distro findings on the Thinkpad x301 Optical Drive issues are: Simply Mepis 12 (11.9.92) runs Live DVD fine, Sparky Linux also a Debian 9 distro runs Live DVD and installs on hardware, and Linux Lite does everything running Live DVD, installing on hardware, playing Audio CDs and Video DVDs without issue. I don't know if anyone else is having issues with an optical drive but if they are maybe a similar comparison could show where to look for a fix. If not no big deal, I'll be able to use the x301 Thinkpads with additional ssd instead or just use another Distro like Lite. antiX/MX works so well with all my other computers it would be great if I could totally standardize on it and not worry about other distros at all. All help is greatly appreciated -- Thank You!
BitJam
Hierax_ca wrote:
Hierax_ca wrote:Sorry, I'm not understanding this db? fdb? virtual consoles? I'm not explaining it well but I was looking for a way to start antiX without starting"X",
You prevent X from starting by booting into runlevel 3.. You do that using the boot parameter"3". X won't start and you will be left in the first virtual console. The virtual consoles are what you switch to when you use Ctrl-Alt-Fn. That's just what they are called. They are also called virtual terminals. I think"virtual console" is more prevalent but"virtual terminal" was baked into the names of some commands such as chvt. I use"virtual console" when I'm using full words but I abbreviated to"vt", perhaps because of the"vt" in the command names.

I was suggesting that in addition to adding the boot parameter"3" you also add the boot parameter"fdb+" so in the boot loader you type in"fdb+ 3".
Hierax_ca
BitJam wrote:
Hierax_ca wrote:
Hierax_ca wrote:Sorry, I'm not understanding this db? fdb? virtual consoles? I'm not explaining it well but I was looking for a way to start antiX without starting"X",
You prevent X from starting by booting into runlevel 3.. You do that using the boot parameter"3". X won't start and you will be left in the first virtual console. The virtual consoles are what you switch to when you use Ctrl-Alt-Fn. That's just what they are called. They are also called virtual terminals. I think"virtual console" is more prevalent but"virtual terminal" was baked into the names of some commands such as chvt. I use"virtual console" when I'm using full words but I abbreviated to"vt", perhaps because of the"vt" in the command names.

I was suggesting that in addition to adding the boot parameter"3" you also add the boot parameter"fdb+" so in the boot loader you type in"fdb+ 3".
OK, that's helpful, it gets it working in cli from the Live DVD, Thanks!

Here's what I've done to get a cli only interface after the installation:
- edited the /etc/default/grub file:
-- commenting out the"quiet" line
-- setting GRUB-CMDLINE_LINUX="3"
-- GRUB_TERMINAL=console
- update-grub

This way, the GUI doesn't boot and I'm down to a mere 55mb RAM (unlike just doing the old ctrl+alt+F1 which still had the GUI running underneath eating up resources)! I'm not sure if that's the right way to do it but it's the best I've been able to figure out where to put the"3" you so kindly mentioned that gets it working.

Now my next question, is how to I get there to be 2 options in the Grub menu, one for the Full antiX GUI IceWM and one for cli only? I'm looking to be able to choose from the Grub boot screen which one to boot from (like if you install Linux as a dual boot with another OS, or even another Linux distro). Is there some sort of Grub Customizer utility like MX has that can do this that can be added to antiX, or how would the grub file itself need to be edited to get these 2 options? Or what would you recommend?
BitJam
Hierax_ca wrote:Now my next question, is how to I get there to be 2 options in the Grub menu, one for the Full antiX GUI IceWM and one for cli only?
This is not my area of expertise. I gave up on grub2 when they put a bunch of xml files under /etc.** They have probably cleaned up their act a little bit since then. For our live system I edited the grub.cfg file directly (well actually I use templates as much as possible but the point is the grub.cfg files get manipulated directly). We also manipulate grub.cfg directly when you save your settings after booting live via grub. I've stayed away from the game of editing one file to instruct grub2 on how to edit another file for me, although this is probably the right approach when you want to change grub on an installed system.

** the only other program/system that I remember starting out with xml files under /etc was hal. For me, it was a clear sign that it was going to be a
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy"
linktext was:"painful mess"
====================================
. Both hal and grub2 improved somewhat but IMO they still deserve tattoos across their figurative foreheads: I do not play well with others! IIRC, the people who brought you hal went on to work on udev and systemd. One of them was banned from working on the Linux kernel because he consistently refused to play well with others.

Allow me to don my foil helmet for a moment. If I were running the NSA then I would be doing everything I could to support big, ugly, messy projects like these that repel skilled developers and run very early in the Linux boot process. Bonus points for becoming standard or essential.
figosdev
I would be doing everything I could to support big, ugly, messy projects like these that repel skilled developers and run very early in the Linux boot process. Bonus points for becoming standard or essential.
Winux! Because people don't say enough to their dishwashers.
eugen-b
Hierax_ca wrote: Now my next question, is how to I get there to be 2 options in the Grub menu, one for the Full antiX GUI IceWM and one for cli only? I'm looking to be able to choose from the Grub boot screen which one to boot from (like if you install Linux as a dual boot with another OS, or even another Linux distro). Is there some sort of Grub Customizer utility like MX has that can do this that can be added to antiX, or how would the grub file itself need to be edited to get these 2 options? Or what would you recommend?
Copy a regular grub code for an antiX Grub entry to the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom, give the entry a recognizable name and add a 3 to the code line starting with"linux".
Undo your addition to /etc/default/grub where you added a 3 to the kernel parameters.
Then run update-grub.

Avoid grub-customizer, because it will reward you with double Grub entries after you chroot and repair Grub, to mention just one inconvenience.