Shay
Having a bit of trouble saving screenshots. Keeps saying File extension was changed. Please try again.
dolphin_oracle
I kinda like the bigger text. Makes it all friendly. (liveUSB uefi boot, 32 bit iso)

that's a 1600x900 screen.
Shay
I prefer the larger text. Easier on the old eyes.
BitJam
Thanks d_o and Shay! As has been discussed, you can adjust the font size with the"conwidth=" cheat. The default is conwidth=120 which tells us to adjust the font size so there are at least 120 characters across the screen. You can adjust the font size after you boot with console-width-select and console-font-select which are both available in the new command line control centre. These should report the width of the screen in characters so you know what value to use for the conwidth cheat. The live boot system saves your selection in the file /etc/default/console-setup so it should carry over automatically when you install. When you are running on an installed system and adjust the font with console-width-select (not console-font-select) then it too should save your changes in that file so they carry over to the next boot.

The idea was to make the console workable and usable OOTB on a wide range of hardware with a wide range of screen resolutions and to make it usable both before and after the possibly big jump in resolution when the modesetting driver kicks in. I was worried about the extremely high DPI laptops that have been coming out. For the default value I tried to err on the side of being a little too large rather than a little too small. It has worked really well here and now I hate going back to antiX-16 that doesn't have this feature.
Shay wrote:Having a bit of trouble saving screenshots. Keeps saying File extension was changed. Please try again.
I'm not certain but I think this happens when you have a"." in the filename you give it. If you avoid"." then it should work.
dolphin_oracle
Discovered in my video last nite:

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/2PUmrF-gKgI

When going from machine to machine, the wlanX number are bumped. That in and off itself isn't a big problem, but it does mean the conky monitor doesn't work for each subsequent machine after the first.

I still think that the package installers (synaptic and PI) as well as ceni and wicd should be in the menu.
Shay
[quote="BitJam"
Shay wrote:Having a bit of trouble saving screenshots. Keeps saying File extension was changed. Please try again.
I'm not certain but I think this happens when you have a"." in the filename you give it. If you avoid"." then it should work.[/quote]

screenshot.jpg is a example of the"." that I see. Which has worked fine in all prior versions of AntiX.
Shay
I removed the"," in the save name, then type it back in, then it works like it should.

14 or 15 did that for a while too, come to think about it, until I saved a jpg in the folder then it worked correctly, but that trick did not work this time.
BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote:Discovered in my video last nite:
Nice!
When going from machine to machine, the wlanX number are bumped. That in and off itself isn't a big problem, but it does mean the conky monitor doesn't work for each subsequent machine after the first.
I had fixed this a few years ago in our .conkyrc but it looks like the fix got tossed out when we upgraded to the lua version of conky. I think we can add the fix back in by duplicating this code:

Code: Select all

${if_up wlan0}${color}wlan0 up: $alignr${color2} ${upspeed wlan0}
${color2}$alignr${upspeedgraph   wlan0 30,170 5599cc 5599cc}
${color}wlan0 down: $alignr${color2} ${downspeed wlan0}
${color2}$alignr${downspeedgraph wlan0 30,170 5599cc 5599cc}${endif}
changing"wlan0" to"wlan1" then duplicating again and changing"wlan0" to"wlan2" ... You can do the same thing for the eth0 code. I'm surprised there isn't a less clunky solution. Maybe there is. IIRC, we got one extra newline for each section so we had to limit their number. Maybe this got fixed in the new conky. Maybe we could use a"for" loop in the lua version which might get rid of the extraneous newlines. I think we are going back to the old conky so maybe some of this will become a non-issue.

Is this live or installed? Is this happening when you connect to the same wireless network on different machines?
I still think that the package installers (synaptic and PI) as well as ceni and wicd should be in the menu.
Agreed.
dolphin_oracle
Is this live or installed? Is this happening when you connect to the same wireless network on different machines?
live, different machines. network interface names are still preserved between individual machines.
eugen-b
@BitJam: fbgs and fbi work in TTY.
What else is cool is that elinks shows UTF8 characters properly in TTY!
Last edited by eugen-b on 06 Jul 2017, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote:live, different machines, network interface names are still preserved between individual machines.
Thanks. I figured out the"different machines --> live" after I posted (duh).

I still don't quite see why the network names are getting bumped between machines. We save the file etc/udev/rules.d/*-persistent-net.rules as a machine state file so it should start afresh on each new machine. Maybe some of the information we save to remember network names and passwords is enough to let udev figure out the interface has changed.

Ideally, the numbering would start at 0 on each machine but I don't know how to make this happen. The relevant general state files seem to be:

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/network/interfaces.d/*
One policy change I've made is I've stopped erasing state files. Maybe this is causing the issue.
dolphin_oracle
well, /etc/network/interfaces certainly isn't being saved in a machine specific way. its on the general list.

here's mine.

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-psk xxxxx
    wpa-ssid xxxxx

allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet dhcp
    wpa-psk xxxxx
    wpa-ssid xxxxx

note that in this case, wlan0 is on my netbook, and wlan1 is on my thinkpad.

Of further interest may be the 70-persisent-net.rules files for each machine.

first the original boot on the netbook. which only has wifi.

# This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
# program, run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
#
# You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single
# line, and change only the value of the NAME= key.

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x4365 (wl)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="ac:d1:b8:e9:17:15", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"
and now the second machine, the thinkpad, which has both wifi and ethernet setups.

# This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
# program, run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
#
# You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single
# line, and change only the value of the NAME= key.

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x4365 (wl)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="ac:d1:b8:e9:17:15", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x0085 (iwlwifi)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="e0:9d:31:2e:b7:d0", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan1"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1502 (e1000e)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="3c:97:0e:ef:2e:76", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
note that wlan0 with"wl" driver appear in both files. that part only exists in the netbook. so it looks like that the file was ammended, probably on the persisent file system, and then the new file synced to the save state system. your comment that you no longer delete save state files is likely the cause of the behavior. if the 70-persist-net.rules files were removed, this then numbering would start over at 0 no matter the device. otherwise, the numbers will increment in a potentially odd way, depending on the number and different makes of machines used, and the order of boot. 1-2-3 would be different than 1-2-1-3 for instance. At least I think so...still working on getting a 3rd laptop up and running.
BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote:
note that wlan0 with"wl" driver appear in both [persistent-net.rules] files that part only exists in the netbook. so it looks like that the file was ammended, probably on the persisent file system, and then the new file synced to the save state system. your comment that you no longer delete save state files is likely the cause of the behavior.
I think you are absolutely right. I plan to re-enable deletion forthwith. I can give you simple instructions for re-enabling it yourself if you want to see if that helps. Sometimes this stuff makes me head hurt.

Funny story (at least to me). I disabled it to compensate for a bug that Adrian subsequently found and fixed in my installed-to-live program. The bug was that even though pristine copies of the files in /etc/modeprobe.d/ were saved in the new linuxfs file, after a remaster or snapshot completed, all of the /etc/modeprobe.d/* files got deleted on the host system.

So when my live system shut down after doing a remaster, the live-usb-save program noticed all of these files were now gone and so it marked them all for deletion on the next boot. On the next boot, and on all subsequent boots, the remastered linuxfs file was used which still has all of those files in it but the live-usb-save script had marked them for deletion so they all get deleted at boot time. Then on shutdown, those files don't exist so they are marked for deletion again.
Hierax_ca
Thinkpad 600x (850MHz Pentium 3, 576MB RAM):

Installed it twice both using the regular way and using the antiX-cli-cc antix-net, and both worked! It would be good to add this antiX-cli-cc to the regular menu like the command line package installer is.

Also on cli, it would be nice to have a cli option in the Grub menu to boot without GUI, which reminds me I don't see the grub customizer in antiX.

After installation the annoying pinboard message still shows up the first time.

Ethernet now connects automatically in beta.

Time: still have to manually set after install using CC despite setting it when installing.

I'm also having FireFox crash. So I tried to install Palemoon from Package Manager and it installed (I think becuase it now shows up in Synaptic/Manage Packages) but doesn't show up in the menus (edit: it now shows up after 2nd reboot, but doesn't start so I'm using Dillo here). BTW, Synaptic should be added to the regular menu no just the CC.

Sound not working (cc test sound card pops up then vanishes), so I can't test the Audio + Video stuff, here's the inxi:

Audio:
Card Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator]
driver: ThinkPad EC
bus-ID: 00:06.0
chip-ID: 1013:6003
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp

I'd like to see VLC added to the Package Manager, still seems like a glaring omission.

Also for Package manager the xfe file manager would be a good addition. And is there a way to add it to the options to change desktops (like changing from Rox --> Space)? Seems like a promising and current lite file manager appropriate for antiX.

I also think BlueFish would be a good addition to the Package Manager.

The simple card games has lots of good stuff in it. Could use backgammon, go, and a few others (probably too much to hope for freeciv, freeorion, freecol, ufoai, triplea) but a good start. ninvaders in cli is nice too!

Wine doesn't seem to install correctly, says need to use terminal after but that doesn't make it work either.

BitJam, FWIW, following up on the MX Jessie feedback last year, the x301 still is having the same optical drive issue to but raw Debian XFCE installed fine. Wanted to mention that before I forgot. Some kind of weird firmware edgecase thing I might be the only one it affects using this computer + distro combo but still there it is.
Hierax_ca
FWIW, the Firefox issue doesn't affect my next oldest laptop, A31p, with 2GHz Pentium4 and 2GB RAM (vs. 850MHz Pentium 3, with 576MB RAM), not sure where the cut-off point for it working or not is for this problem.