anticapitalista
Site Admin
Re - pre-set keys files.

To avoid any possible conflict, maybe we should not ship with any pre-figured key bindings for the wms we put on the iso ie IceWM, fluxbox, jwm, herbstluftwm?
skidoo
Probably the easiest workaround is to outcomment the Ctrl+singlekey lines; users can activate the ones they are interested in.
Ok, maybe shipping the file as"keys_suggested" might be easier... but the some keybinds are probably needed/expected by each of the WMs.
figosdev
my own summary of changes from 16.2 to 17.x:

(for anyone interested in such details)

* 3861 changes to var/lib/dpkg/info

kernel upgrade:
* 1108 usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.10-antix.1-486-smp/include/linux
* -> 1144 usr/src/linux-headers-4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp/include/linux

* youtube-dl is no longer based on python 2

* avconv replaced with ffmpeg

* roxterm replaced with lxterminal

* adds locolor and SimplyGrey to the hicolor and Adwaita icons

* each icewm theme now comes in
-small
-medium
-large

* other 16.2 themes:

- greybird-compact
- greybird
- bluebird
- albatross

replaced with 17.x themes:

- arc
- arc-dark
- arc-darker
- adwaita
- including some (unintended?) theme support for cinnamon, unity and gnome-shell (which are not installed)

* binaries only in 16.2:

gnome-mplayer
gtk-launch
mplayer
unetbootin

* only in 17.x:

cdda2mp3
cdda2ogg
firejail
galculator
mpg123-pulse
player
player.py
viewer
viewer.py

* 3322 changes in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu including:

* 230 in usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ImageMagick-6.9.7/modules-Q16/coders
* 177 in usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane
* 109 in usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/xtables
* 98 in usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/samba

* an upgrade from:

- perl 5.20 -> 5.24.1
- libgphoto2 2.5.4 -> 2.5.12
- openssl upgraded from 1.0.0 -> 1.0.2
- qt4 -> qt5
- python 3.4 -> 3.5
skidoo
other changes:

LuckyBackup -> grsync

conky -> LUAconky (conky new version: 13Mb session overhead?!?)

gufw -> gufw+WEBKITlib

new service"ltp" ("tlp"? laptop power)

Code: Select all

Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 181.6/3946.3MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.21 
yup, 180MB overhead at start of session. Go figure (I tried, I can't)
Larger kernel? Larger Xorg?
I managed to get it down to 155Mb at session start, but (buffers?) it quickly climbs over 200MB even with no windowed apps running.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Luckybackup IS installed using qt5.

yes, conky with lua is a hog - *sigh* that's progress. I might have it disabled by default.

skidoo - is that RAM on real hardware and 32 bit?
skidoo
17b1 full 64bit, livesession w/o persistence
testing here is always on real hardware.
apples-to-apples: 89Mb start of session on 16.2 full, 64bit, kernel 4.4x, livesession w/o persistence

Does"new" conky provide any significant new features? If not, antiX could supply older version, and pin the package.
Maybe I'm too set in my ways, but the conky"progress" seems like yet another example of a mature project suffering from bullshit break/fix without feature enhancement.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/c/conky/conky_1.10.6-1_changelog"
linktext was:"http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/c ... _changelog"
====================================

Same @gufw. Woohoo ~~ gotta make work to keep the young'uns busy. Let's"port" it to python3+webkit, yah...

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/g/gui-ufw/gui-ufw_17.04.1-1.1_changelog"
linktext was:"http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/c ... _changelog"
====================================

Maybe upstream changelog mentions remarkable"improvements" not mentioned in debian's changelog?
I haven't checked -- maybe older version of gufw is no longer compatible with current version ufw?
Grumpy because I had patched the older version to workaround the issue of non-root user always seeing"status:off" when the ui launches
and presented it here (and mentioned it in MX forum as well) and... {crickets}.
This new gufw version represents"progress"? Naw, I'm not riding that train.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I really do not want to include any pinning since it may cause issues down the road, so pinning conky or any other app is not going to happen. I'd rather have it disabled or not even installed.

Yes, I tried to build older version of gufw with stretch version of ufw and failed. gtk3 shite again.
figosdev
I really do not want to include any pinning since it may cause issues down the road, so pinning conky or any other app is not going to happen. I'd rather have it disabled or not even installed.
i suspect that for many people, conky is simply part of the"antix" experience. seems like the alternative to pinning is a"conky-legacy" package which"conflicts" with conky, so you have to choose one or the other. it simply wouldnt update"as often" as the regular conky package.

youre already incorporating adams non-standard repos from what im told. its"pinning without pinning" as far as any form of metaphorical"purity" goes, so there really is at least *one* alternative to pinning, or you would have s5d. use the alternative you already use?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
figosdev wrote: youre already incorporating adams non-standard repos from what im told. its"pinning without pinning" as far as any form of metaphorical"purity" goes, so there really is at least *one* alternative to pinning, or you would have s5d. use the alternative you already use?
Which non-standard repos have you been 'told' about? Do you mean the antiX repo? How is that pinning without pinning"?
skidoo
found a couple of odd (apparent orphan) pre-installed packages:
xfce-keyboard-shortcuts
lxmenu-data
skidoo
regarding gufw (mentioned as an option, not as a bossy suggestion):

grab the 12.x version of gufw from jessie repo & serve it from antix repo... and pin it.

I tested:
apt purge gufw
(retrieve and install) gufw 12.10.0-1

works fine and, as a bonus, can purge:
gir1.2-webkit2-4.0
gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37
libjavascriptcoregtk-0.0-18
========== 62Mb
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If we go down that road, why not just use the version in antiX jessie with your fixes?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
skidoo wrote:found a couple of odd (apparent orphan) pre-installed packages:
xfce-keyboard-shortcuts
lxmenu-data
lxmenu-data is needed for constructing the dynamic Applications menus in IceWM, flubox and jwm.

I'll check xfce-keyboard-shortcuts again
Dave
Could we repackage the older conky version and call it conky-legacy in the antiX repo?
Then we could:
apt-get purge conky && apt-get -f install conky-legacy
If people would like to have conky without the bloated updates? Or will that still cause problems you think?

EDIT:
On another not what is the MD5/SIG of the b1 full 64 bit?
Last edited by Dave on 01 Jul 2017, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
figosdev
Do you mean the antiX repo?
my understanding (or mistake) is that antix uses packages from the nosystemd repo. i have no problem with that, if theres another way you achieve the same goal perhaps this news is outdated (or simply incorrect.)
How is that pinning without pinning"?
comparing loosely.

antix is debian-based, debian has moved"forward" (or in some direction) and youre"pinning" in the sense that youre only applying versions of some things to the repo that are compatible with other inits. or youre doing something else entirely which would probably let you forego lua if you did the same thing for conky-- nothing against lua, except that its a lot of extra. also cheers for clarifying, dave.