dolphin_oracle
SamK wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:are they still frozen with the"uxa" thing. I'm still not completely convinced they are the same problem, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Currently I'm testing in live with root persistence using etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel-video.conf. The freezing certainly happens in this environment. I didn't focus on this aspect when testing using the driver from Debian instead, so cannot recall whether it happens in that configuration.

I'm thinking something else is going on. For instance, I currently have no mouse cursor (no intel-video.conf modifications) and I enabled the tray monitors in ~/.icewm/preferences, but the monitors work upon login but still no mouse.

So it well could be something else effecting in the slim and forward setup.

We can eliminate slim by booting to init 3 and using startx.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
dolphin_oracle - is that using the debian intel drivers?
SamK
dolphin_oracle wrote:I'm thinking something else is going on. For instance, I currently have no mouse cursor (no intel-video.conf modifications) and I enabled the tray monitors in ~/.icewm/preferences, but the monitors work upon login but still no mouse.

So it well could be something else effecting in the slim and forward setup.

Before we conduct further tests it is probably wise to try and get similar environments. When you reply to the question from anticapitalista I will create the same env on USB+persistence then we can stay in sync.

The only monitors I use in the IceWM tray are CPU and network and I will retain those.
dolphin_oracle
dolphin_oracle
anticapitalista wrote:dolphin_oracle - is that using the debian intel drivers?
To isolate the tray monitors issue, i started with the default b2.1 iso. Monitors worked fine on the eeepc despite the mouse cursor not present. In fact, for me, the monitors always work when enabled.
SamK
The test system has 13.2 conventionally installed to disk
From Cold Boot
Monitors: Work
Mouse Cursor: Work
If wanted 13.2 will be tested live

Test1
From Cold Boot
16-b2.1 shipped ISO
desktop=space-icewm vga=791 persist_root lang=en_GB quiet splash=off disable=lx
IceWM monitors CPU, Net, in taskbar tray
Result:
Monitors: Frozen
Mouse Cursor: Invisible

Restart IceWM via antiX Menu
Result:

Test2
Create etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel-video.conf

From Cold Boot
16-b2.1 shipped ISO

Result:

Result:

Test3
Remove etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel-video.conf
apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-intel
apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

From Cold Boot
16-b2.1 shipped ISO

Result:

Result:
anticapitalista
Site Admin
very useful feedback - even though I cannot reproduce the frozen monitors. (PIII using nouveau)
SamK
dolphin_oracle wrote:So it well could be something else effecting in the slim and forward setup.

Test4
Debian xserver-xorg-video-intel
startx

From Cold Boot
16-b2.1 shipped ISO
desktop=space-icewm vga=791 persist_root lang=en_GB quiet splash=off disable=lx 3

Result:

Restart IceWM via antiX
Result:
dolphin_oracle
confirming that the menu update at login is what causes jwm to restart. jwm requires a restart for any config changes (the others don't), so that makes sense.

I've got nothing on the tray monitor thing for icewm. I can't replicate it on any hardware (even my ancient sony laptop/brick).
dolphin_oracle
Ok samk, I can isolate desktop-session, but its a little messy.

1. Boot on machine with tray monitors enabled. confirm frozen at startup (rather than just black at start, which is what mine look like, even though they are running).

2. copy etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc

3. edit ~/.xinitrc, append as the last line"exec icewm-session &"

4. edit slim.conf.
Look for the ***** areas that show the login commands. comment out the current login command, and uncomment the"old" login command. In addition, remove the %session variable from the startup line.

5. logout. you should be back at the slim login. login, and the default session should load. NOTE: there are going to be a lot of things that don't work, like wallpaper, icon pinboards, etc... This is not what we are testing. Just look and see if the tray monitors are working. If so, we know there is something in the timing of the startup session using the desktop session scripts. If not, then the icewm guys screwed something up (it does get updated from time to time).
dolphin_oracle
NOTE: this also confirms that desktop-session has nothing to do with the missing mouse cursor, as its still missing using the default iso and the above changes to slim.conf.
Shay
I check
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://weather.com/"
linktext was:"https://weather.com/"
====================================
several times a day, seems they do not like iceweasel now.
SamK
dolphin_oracle wrote:Boot on machine with tray monitors enabled. confirm frozen at startup (rather than just black at start, which is what mine look like, even though they are running).
A more detailed description of"frozen" follows. Only CPU and Network monitors are tested.

In all cases:
  • The monitors are displayed with the desktop as expected
  • Initially both are working i.e. their indicator lines are scrolliiong across their respective monitor boxes
  • After approx 2 seconds both freeze i.e. they stop scrolling and remain inactive with indicator lines displayed in an unchanging state in their monitor boxes
  • A restart of IceWM resets the boxes to blank, they again begin scrolling, and work as expected thereafter
To summarise, the monitors in the IceWM system tray load with the desktop as expected, begin working as expected, then freeze. Something is stopping the continued operation after they visibly are working correctly. A restart of the WM returns them to a fully operational state which is then maintained.

@dolphin_oracle, anticapitalista
It is going to be some hours, possibly a day before I can begin further tests.
dolphin_oracle
SamK wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:Boot on machine with tray monitors enabled. confirm frozen at startup (rather than just black at start, which is what mine look like, even though they are running).
A more detailed description of"frozen" follows. Only CPU and Network monitors are tested.

In all cases:
  • The monitors are displayed with the desktop as expected
  • Initially both are working i.e. their indicator lines are scrolliiong across their respective monitor boxes
  • After approx 2 seconds both freeze i.e. they stop scrolling and remain inactive with indicator lines displayed in an unchanging state in their monitor boxes
  • A restart of IceWM resets the boxes to blank, they again begin scrolling, and work as expected thereafter
To summarise, the monitors in the IceWM system tray load with the desktop as expected, begin working as expected, then freeze. Something is stopping the continued operation after they visibly are working correctly. A restart of the WM returns them to a fully operational state which is then maintained.

@dolphin_oracle, anticapitalista
It is going to be some hours, possibly a day before I can begin further tests.

No problem samk. One other thing to try that doesn't require messing with the boot configuration.

1. do the monitors"stick" when using min-icewm?
SamK
dolphin_oracle wrote:do the monitors"stick" when using min-icewm?
I now have the view that using min-icewm or min-anything as a reference point is invalid. My previous understanding was min-* did not employ the desktop-session chain. This is not the case as demonstrated by the following system booted to min-icewm.

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
desktop=min-icewm vga=791 persist_root lang=en_GB quiet splash=off disable=lx

ps -e | grep desktop-session
 3527 ?        00:00:00 desktop-session
This clearly illustrates a desktop-session process is used.

It led me to think in a different direction about the matters being tested. I have now been able to boot the system so both the mouse cursor and the monitor work as expected. I want to recheck my procedure and results before posting. I have not forgotten the awaited test. It is just being delayed a little.
dolphin_oracle
SamK wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:do the monitors"stick" when using min-icewm?
I now have the view that using min-icewm or min-anything as a reference point is invalid. My previous understanding was min-* did not employ the desktop-session chain. This is not the case as demonstrated by the following system booted to min-icewm.

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
desktop=min-icewm vga=791 persist_root lang=en_GB quiet splash=off disable=lx

ps -e | grep desktop-session
 3527 ?        00:00:00 desktop-session
This clearly illustrates a desktop-session process is used.

It led me to think in a different direction about the matters being tested. I have now been able to boot the system so both the mouse cursor and the monitor work as expected. I want to recheck my procedure and results before posting. I have not forgotten the awaited test. It is just being delayed a little.
yes, but in min-icewm, all desktop session does is start the wm. It does not run the update menu routine or set the wallpaper, both of which happen approx 2 seconds after start of the wm, or very close to when your monitors don't run. by checking the min-icewm option, we eliminate two other possibilities.

*if* the monitors work in min-icewm, then we can isolate the particular routine causing the problem by selectively commenting out certain areas of desktop-session's code.