dolphin_oracle
for firefox in the metapackage-installer, I suggest changing to the mozilla debian project repo instead of the mx repo. at some point, the mx community repo team is going to quit packaging firefox. maybe at the eventual point release.

here's the repo I suggest for antiX to draw from.

Code: Select all

deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ jessie-backports firefox-release
SamK
Spurious File

antiX-16b1 conventional installation to hard disk
Installation media; CD-ROM

No type of external storage has ever been connected to this system other than remote shares to test Connectshares.

In the root directory is a file named persist-config.log
Persistence and frugal have played no role in this system. The file serves no purpose.

Additionally, it seems to bypass using the more conventional location of log files i.e. /var/log/
anticapitalista
Site Admin
SamK - I think your hard disk is dying (that smartmon report suggests it too) and is giving some false reports of files existing that in fact do not exist.
I once had something similar happen to me. I kept deleting some files, but they would reappear randomly on reboot.

There is not persist-config.log in root. Noone else has reported blacbox for icewm in an inxi report, alsamixer shows ok on my boxes (including an old pIII)
chrispop99
anticapitalista wrote:SamK - I think your hard disk is dying (that smartmon report suggests it too) and is giving some false reports of files existing that in fact do not exist.
I once had something similar happen to me. I kept deleting some files, but they would reappear randomly on reboot.

There is not persist-config.log in root. Noone else has reported blacbox for icewm in an inxi report, alsamixer shows ok on my boxes (including an old pIII)
Confirmed here across four installs of both versions.

Chris
anticapitalista
Site Admin
SamK - Not sure what you mean about connectshares and antiXcc,

etc/desktop-session/startup has voulumeicon with &
Should I add #connectshares & above or below this line?
dolphin_oracle
anticapitalista wrote:SamK - Not sure what you mean about connectshares and antiXcc,

etc/desktop-session/startup has voulumeicon with &
Should I add #connectshares & above or below this line?
Doesn't matter really. Wicd-client also had a predone commented entry once upon a time.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:SamK - I think your hard disk is dying (that smartmon report suggests it too) and is giving some false reports of files existing that in fact do not exist.
I have reinstalled to a different disk that was first wiped using MHDD. The most basic antiX installation was done (single partition + swap) to the entire disk.

The smartmon message was obtained again.
anticapitalista wrote:There is not persist-config.log in root. Noone else has reported blacbox for icewm in an inxi report
These are not present in the reinstalled system.
anticapitalista wrote:alsamixer shows ok on my boxes (including an old pIII)
In the reinstalled system the reported symptoms are still present i.e. none of the channels can be adjusted. This is the first time I have encountered this with any of the many antiX systems I have built over the years.

I hope to have sufficient time to install on a variety of other kit in the coming days.

Connectshares
In the original installation the ampersand was missing for voulumeicon. In the reinstallation it is present. So treat that part of the report as a red herring.

The commented entry for Connectshares can now be added anywhere in the file as advised by dolphin_oracle

It would be good to have the return of the commented WICD entry.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
wicd-client -t & or wicd-client &
dolphin_oracle
anticapitalista wrote:wicd-client -t & or wicd-client &
wicd-client -t.
dolphin_oracle
the ancient sony vaio pcg-fxa32

Code: Select all

dolphin@antix1:~
$ inxi -F
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.4.2-antix.2-486-smp i686 (32 bit) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
           Distro: antiX-16-b1_386-full Berta Cáceres 11 April 2016
Machine:   System: Sony product: PCG-FXA32(UC) v: 01
           Mobo: Sony model: Q3-Project v: 1A Bios: Sony v: R0107K5 date: 09/17/2001
CPU:       Single core AMD Duron (-UP-) cache: 64 KB speed: 900 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Rage Mobility AGP 2x Series
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: mach64
           Resolution: 1024x768@87.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card VIA VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller driver: snd_via82xx Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.2-antix.2-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver: 8139too
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 08:00:46:2f:ab:44
           Card-2: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:11:50:dc:46:66
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 19.1GB (18.8% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HITACHI_DK23CA size: 15.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Glide size: 4.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 3.9G used: 2.4G (66%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 24.2C mobo: 24.2C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 fan-2: 0
Info:      Processes: 137 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 108.9/496.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.31 
dolphin@antix1:~
If you can believe it, everything seems to work. I did get a generic rox pinboard (just a Blue HOME folder icon) but other than that all is good.

sound works, fans are running, and the add-on wireless card was picked up.

posting from it now. runs much better than 15 did.
SamK
User Login

During installation, automatic log in of user was not specified, yet automatic log in is conducted.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
SamK wrote:User Login

During installation, automatic log in of user was not specified, yet automatic log in is conducted.

Fixed upstream.

As are:

livestreamer rebuilt and now works fine
volumeicon colour to match dark or light theme. Default is now Black Gnome
icewm themes to show correct menu icon
geany set back to white background
& wicd-client -t & and &connectshares & added to etc/desktop-session/startup
firefox in the metapackage-installer now pulled from mozilla.debian.net jessie backports
1-to-1 Assistance and 1-to-1 Voice added to metapackage-installer
updated kernel to 4.4.7 with a couple of changes to include nvme module
bluetooth and bluez removed since they cause a delay in booting on some netbooks.

For further testing, I'm going to see if using the 4.4.7 is better than the 4.3.0 version.
We might revert back to the 4.3.0 version if it seems to work better on more hardware.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
A question to those who have already used the installer.

Did adding a bit of colour and an image in the left pane cause any issues with visibility of the text?
Is it worth exploring 'prettyfying' the installer further or should we revert back to the 'dull' grey?
rokytnji
I liked it just the way you tweaked it to look presently.
But I am a simple dude that does the bling later on after the install.

I barely noticed it, which is the way I like a installer to be. Too much bling tends to confuse me like in the ubuntu or mint installer.

My opinion is we strike a comfy balance between a cfdisk cli installer and a vaudeville showy installer.
I expect others to disagree. But the less resources the installer uses. The more resources go to the actual install process.
darry1966
rokytnji wrote:
My opinion is we strike a comfy balance between a cfdisk cli installer and a vaudeville showy installer.
I expect others to disagree. But the less resources the installer uses. The more resources go to the actual install process.
Too true Roky - love the installer.