skidoo
"Stop! Without all the fancy talk, what exactly IS linux?" she asks.
my reply:"linux is a magical place where every answer leads to two more questions..."

So... why is inxi (incorrectly) reporting single core? This kernel is not smp-aware? Oh noez, somebodee stoled one o' my cores?!?

antiX-14-a3-RV_386-full.iso

Code: Select all

inxi -f
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium D (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB
           clocked at 2793 MHz
           CPU Flags: acpi apic bts cid clflush cmov constant_tsc cx16 cx8 de
           ds_cpl dtes64 dts fpu fxsr ht lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr
           mtrr nx pae pat pbe pebs pge pni pse pse36 sep ss sse sse2 tm tsc
           vme xtpr
upon launching synaptic from roxterm

WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
I suspect a gtk3/gtk2 incompatibility among the installed libs

edit:
I tried reverting to synaptic v0.7.5.13 from wheezy as a workaround.
That worked to eliminiate the"untickable checkboxes", but I wound up encountering a fatal (unresponsive app) bug when I attempted to set a custom color via the synaptic colors/fonts preferences dialog. Sigh.
skidoo
BitJam, the switching and default-setting mechanism you've described does seem preferable.
dolphin_oracle
the change in desktop sticks ok for me with a persistence file but not with just a liveUSB.

a3 with systemD, 64bit.
dolphin_oracle
dolphin_oracle
"desktop-defaults" lists spacefm.desktop as the default filemanger rather than rox,while running under rox-icewm. However, the file manager links still open rox. this is also true in rox-fluxbox.

running a3-rd 64bit, full
BitJam
skidoo wrote:BitJam, the switching and default-setting mechanism you've described does seem preferable.
Thanks! There may still be a problem communicating to users how this works. If people don't know what's going on it may just seem broken.
dolphin_oracle wrote:the change in desktop sticks ok for me with a persistence file but not with just a liveUSB..
I may have been unclear. For now, for the LiveUSB you have to manually run"sudo /etc/init.d/live-init stop" to get your current desktop saved as the default. We plan to fix this so it happens automatically.
Dave
BitJam wrote:
skidoo wrote:BitJam, the switching and default-setting mechanism you've described does seem preferable.
Thanks! There may still be a problem communicating to users how this works. If people don't know what's going on it may just seem broken.
dolphin_oracle wrote:the change in desktop sticks ok for me with a persistence file but not with just a liveUSB..
I may have been unclear. For now, for the LiveUSB you have to manually run"sudo /etc/init.d/live-init stop" to get your current desktop saved as the default. We plan to fix this so it happens automatically.
If that init scripts becomes a problem for system d... we could just add it to the session shutdown script as a regular script. Or is there something special that requires it to be an init script?

Edit:
Btw that is something I would like to add. I would like to make a shutdown file just like the startup file for writing things in to run on shutdown.
dolphin_oracle
control center is going to need a whole new tab with all the new desktop-session stuff .

by the by, i toggled the option in / etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf for xdg-autostart. worked, sort of. wicd failed to start (dbus error) although the client loaded. potentially confusing. also, clipboard manager started as well, with questions about saving text, but the window did not ID itself as clipboard manager. little weird. I recommend the default for clipboard manager to be to not autostart.
Dave

15 Oct 2014, 23:32 #83

dolphin_oracle wrote:control center is going to need a whole new tab with all the new desktop-session stuff .

by the by, i toggled the option in / etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf for xdg-autostart. worked, sort of. wicd failed to start (dbus error) although the client loaded. potentially confusing. also, clipboard manager started as well, with questions about saving text, but the window did not ID itself as clipboard manager. little weird. I recommend the default for clipboard manager to be to not autostart.
Dbus is disabled on live, that would be my guess for the wicd error.
For clipboard I would think a default config to not save the session would be best (rather than disabling startup). However my guess is that xdg will remain off by default but I would much prefer to dissable it when the antix=mlxd is on the boot line.
dolphin_oracle
However my guess is that xdg will remain off by default
see, I'm kinda excited about the prospect of the xdg-autostart. I imagine things like the preferences in dropbox and some other apps, when you say to"launch at startup" that they actually will rather than needing to edit the desktop-session startup file or one of the 3 window manager startup files.
Dave
dolphin_oracle wrote:
However my guess is that xdg will remain off by default
see, I'm kinda excited about the prospect of the xdg-autostart. I imagine things like the preferences in dropbox and some other apps, when you say to"launch at startup" that they actually will rather than needing to edit the desktop-session startup file or one of the 3 window manager startup files.

Don't get me wrong I am excited to have it as well. That is why I added it to desktop-session! That is why I figured adding a sed line to the script that handles antiX=mlxd in order to dissable it when dbus is disabled. If dbus is enabled than enable the xdg autostart. Just a couple of sed lines below the dbus lines should do it in my mind.
skidoo
Dbus is disabled on live
Eeek! What?
Intentionally? Accidentally?
BitJam
Dave wrote:
BitJam wrote:If that init scripts becomes a problem for system d... we could just add it to the session shutdown script as a regular script. Or is there something special that requires it to be an init script?
I think it is best as it is now. It should not be a problem running it at shutdown. It was just a communication problem. I didn't tell antiC that it needs to run at shutdown. If we wire it up to run at shutdown for SysV then it should also work with systemd.

Since we use the value at boot time, there is no need to write it any sooner or more frequently than at shutdown. Also, the area we write to is owned by root so we want root to do the writing. It's a judgment call but I think it is better if desktop-session is not wired into the LiveUSB stuff.

Another way to see it is that it is like matching parentheses. We use the saved value during the boot process so it makes sense to store the value during shutdown.

I might have to amend this soon because a lot of the Live startup stuff is going to be moved into the initrd to run before systemd starts.
jdmeaux1952
a3 32 bit RD keeps giving me dbus errors for wicd the first time I attempt to start it but if I restart wicd (this is in antixcc) everything works okay.

I need to keep better notes, and remember where I put them at.
james c
First test install.....a3-RV version.Haven't had a chance to use much yet but nothing major has popped up yet.

james@antix1:~
$ inxi -F
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 3.15.2-antix.1-486 i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8 
           Distro: antiX-14-a3-RV_386-full Killah P 11 October 2014 
Machine:   Mobo: MICRO-STAR INTL model: MS-7037 v: Ver 0A
           Bios: Phoenix v: 6.00 PG date: 06/08/2004
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
           clocked at 3000 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768@85.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 10.2.6
Audio:     Card Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller 
           driver: snd_intel8x0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.15.2-antix.1-486
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
           driver: 8139too
           IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full 
           mac: 00:11:09:27:3b:5a
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 200.0GB (1.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2000JB size: 200.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 2.5G (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda12 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 81 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 198.9/2011.2MB 
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28 
james@antix1:~
rokytnji
This might be already known but I'll mention it anyways. On installed version of 32 bit RV.
Noticed that Flash Videos were not playing and Iceweasel>Tools>Add Ons>Plugins showed no flashplayer plugin installed.

I made sure flashplugin-nonfree was installed 1st. It was. I did not install it.

So I sylinked>relative using rox file manager from /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Screeny to show what I mean.

PS. The dark gtk theme and roxfiler don't agree with my Chocolate Eclair Donut and Coffee so I changed it.

I Have some free time so I will break out the Amrel RT 786EX Toughbook and boot the 32 bit cds on it next.
Maybe I'll try a RD install on one of the hot swap hard drives for it to see if the grub install error repeats itself
like it did on this desktop.