BitJam
zpimp wrote:no it doesent show up in the first place
I had said:
BitJam wrote:If it never shows up in the first place then edit the file /etc/desktop-session/desktop-session.conf and change the start up delay to 2
You did not say if you were running Live or installed so I didn't try to guess and give you instructions on how to do this based on my guess.
BitJam wrote:Which program did you use to mount ntfs partitions?
i just clicked on /media/sda1
Which program were you in when you clicked on /media/sda1? Usually"Help" -->"About" in the menu bar will tell you the name of the program.
male
BitJam wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:1) Network interfaces increment when you change machines
Using persistent RV LiveUSB. Does this same problem occur with RD?
I think yes, but I don't have as many 64 bit systems to try on. The HP is wlan0 at the moment and the optiplex did become wlan1.
Check the Live media to

Code: Select all

(/)etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
when from wlan0 > wlan1, etc.
dolphin_oracle
Try setting a breakpoint like"bp=8" and then see if"safe-shutdown" or"safe-reboot" works. At the least, this will be a quicker way to replicate the problem.
safe-shutdown and safe-reboot both end with :

umount successfull
Press <Enter> to ___________ (poweroff or reboot).

after pressing enter, only a hard reset with the power switch shuts the machine down.

System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 3.15.2-antix.1-486 i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8 
           Distro: antiX-14-a3-RV_386-full Killah P 11 October 2014 
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC v: 0587110002242B10000022100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 146A v: 58.28
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: F.26 date: 02/14/2011
CPU:       Single core Intel Core i5 M 460 (-UP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clocked at 1199 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.03hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.2.6
Audio:     Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio 
           driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.15.2-antix.1-486
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 [Kilmer Peak]
           driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:23:15:7b:a8:14
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 64:31:50:6d:81:b4
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 352.1GB (12.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BPVT size: 320.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Glide size: 32.0GB
Partition: ID-1: /home size: 969M used: 66M (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/loop2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: 42.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 114 Uptime: 12 min Memory: 404.1/2453.2MB 
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28
dolphin_oracle
Quote:
Quote:
3) 32-bit antiX-14-a3 on Optiplex needs"nomodeset"
But works with intel driver on antiX-13, MX-14, and 64-bit antiX-14-a3.
just using the nomodeset cheat did allow the boot to finish on the Optiplex,
IMO this is the major bug. IOW, once this is solved everything else is a non-issue.
Quote:
but the resolution was stuck at 800x600. using Vesa gave me the nomodeset, but I got proper resolution choices for the monitor.
I believe this is related to a recent change in the X-server. If it is available, the fbdev driver will be used instead of the vesa driver by default. The resolution of the fbdev is set by the vga=xxx boot parameter which currently defaults to 800x600. So if you use"safe" video mode and set the console resolution to 1280x1024, you should also get that resolution in X. I don't know if this should be considered a bug or not.
Quote:
The proper intel driver is used in antix-13, mx-14, and the 64bit RD alphas 3. I have not tried the 64bit RV.
You can look in Xorg.0.log but I am pretty sure the intel driver is not used because it does not work. I'd suggest doing a search(linux intel regression). Maybe even file a bug report upstream.
here is the inxi -F output for the optiplex using the nomodeset cheatcode and setting the console resoultion directly. fbdev and intel are shown loaded, but obviously intel must not be working.

demo@antix1:~
$ inxi -F
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 3.15.2-antix.1-486 i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8 
           Distro: antiX-14-a3-RV_386-full Killah P 11 October 2014 
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 780
           Mobo: Dell model: 0C27VV v: A01 Bios: Dell v: A04 date: 04/30/2010
CPU:       Single core Intel Core2 Duo E7500 (-UP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clocked at 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.1 driver: vesa
           Resolution: 1280x1024@0.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.6
Audio:     Card Intel 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller 
           driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.15.2-antix.1-486
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n driver: b43-pci-bridge
           IF: wlan2 state: down mac: 5c:ac:4c:87:a2:7f
           Card-2: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
           IF: eth2 state: down mac: b8:ac:6f:4c:a5:66
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 282.0GB (0.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500AAJS size: 250.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Glide size: 32.0GB
Partition: ID-1: /home size: 969M used: 97M (11%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/loop2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 107 Uptime: 0 min Memory: 179.1/2997.5MB 
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28 
BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote:1. As I shift machines, the network interfaces shift by 1. So when I started on the the eeepc last nite, the interfaces were wlan0 and eth0. on the HP, they became wlan1 and eth1. This morning on the Dell Optiplex, they are wlan2 and eth2. Which means everytime I shift machines, I have to reset the network interfaces in the wicd preferences.
Did male's suggestion about (deleting?) /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules help?

I wonder where the information is being stored. If we know which file it is then we can delete it or reset it at boot time on the live system.

Speaking of live system boot. We can easily add"swapon -a" to /etc/init.d/live-init right after we make the fstab file. This will ensure swap gets enabled.

I've also been thinking about moving the boot-time persist-password code into the initrd. This will get rid of the long delays. The only catch is that (I think) we want to set up the keyboard map before having the user set the passwords. I could add a"make passwords visible" option which might help a bit but if we don't use the same keyboard map that is used after people boot then ISTM there will be valid complaints.
dolphin_oracle
currently camping with the dolphin pup, so I'll try that out when I get back. (Didn't want to leave you hanging).
male
yes, per rm deleting. You will then be created on restart NEW.
I mentioned that because of dolphin"persistent live usb" spoke.
jdmeaux1952
My project for today was to make antiX 3.14 bootable on a usb using UNetbootin. Downloaded a3-RV -amd64 and used UNetbootin to put it on my 8Gib usb. So far so good. A quick reboot and it came out okay. It would boot up a little slower than the cd (it seems so) but it was up.

Used my LiveCD to reboot the laptop and to do a Remaster onto the usb. Remaster went smoothly. Set it for Auto presistemce. So far, so good.

Reboot without LiveCD, just usb. Screen came up, and I selected Root Persistence. Then things S L O W E D D O W N. First scan took over 73 seconds. I needed to change the Root and Demo PASWORDS. DRAGGED it out. Almost 40 second waits after pressing enter key. Once I got both passwords changed, it did a complete reboot. This time it went to the main screen where I again selected Root Persistence. The screen appeared to change resolution three times (the printing kept getting smaller and smaller) before it finally opened up antiX desktop. (Oh boy, this is fun.)

Set my wireless with no problems. Opened Iceweasel and logged in forum. Ice weasel seems to take a little longer to load. Typing this hasn't been odd. Everything here seems normal. (Relatively speaking.) Just opening and closing Iceweasel seems slower, like it is taking its time to do it.

Opened another panel to open ROX Terminal. It too seems to load slower. The same thing with games. The program appears to load slower than with 3-13. To be sure it wasn't just me, I had reloaded antiX 3-13-amd64 which I had on a usb to see, and it was a definite. 3.14 is opening the programs slower. Then I rebooted the usb with 3.14 to get to here.

These are my observations for this afternoon.
james c
Was intending to install the RV version on an old 733 mhz P3,replacing Alpha 2, but I'm getting the dreaded

do_IRQ: 0.32 No irq handler for vector  (irq -1)
james c
Tried various boot codes......same results.

RD version (default boot)gets farther but freezes up immediately after seeing...

Warning! fusbh200_hcd should always be loaded before uhci_hcd and ohci_hcd, not after
Boot cheats lead to a kernel panic.
SamK
BitJam wrote:Did male's suggestion about (deleting?) /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules help?
Have a look at this old post made a couple of years back.
post26344.html?hilit=70%20persistent%20net.rules#p26344

In the suggestions section (towards the foot of the post) I outlined the potential for non functioning network connections when antiX-Live is used nomadically. Perhaps it was not picked up then.
BitJam
james c wrote:

Warning! fusbh200_hcd should always be loaded before uhci_hcd and ohci_hcd, not after
Thanks james! There was a similar problem with the ehci module for a while. In this case the fusbh200_hcd driver is compiled in but so are uhci_hcd and ohci_hcd. I think we will have to compile uhci_hcd and ochi_hcd as loadable modules in order to avoid getting that error message.

The error with ehci_hcd seemed rather benign and was not associated with freezes so I don't know for sure that this error is what is causing the freeze but I hope we will find out in the next iteration. Since the fix for the error message involves a change to the kernel config there aren't any workarounds.

When during the boot process do you get these error messages? The reason I ask is because there should be no difference between the RV version and the RD version during the first few seconds of booting. You should only see differences after it says"the /init program took X.XX seconds". If the crash happens before that then you might want to make sure the final message before the freeze is repeatable.
BitJam
The"quiet" boot parameter is missing from isolinux.cfg and syslinux.cfg on antiX-14-a3-RD_x64-full.iso but not on antiX-14-a3-RV_x64-full.iso. IOW the systemd live boot is missing the"quiet" boot parameter. I have not checked any of the other iso files. Maybe this was intentional but without"quiet" I get a lot of kernel messages printed to the screen when the boot process starts.
Dave
Dave
dolphin_oracle wrote:"desktop-defaults" lists spacefm.desktop as the default filemanger rather than rox,while running under rox-icewm. However, the file manager links still open rox. this is also true in rox-fluxbox.

running a3-rd 64bit, full
This is by design, not by fault.
It is assumed by desktop-session that choosing rox as a desktop you would like rox as a file manager as well.
However there is an override...
changing the settings in / etc/desktop-session/desktop-defaults.conf (or copying that file to ~/.desktop-session/ and editing it ) should allow you to override that assumption.

Set

OVERRIDE_SESSION_FM="false"
to

OVERRIDE_SESSION_FM="true"
dolphin_oracle
This is by design, not by fault.
It is assumed by desktop-session that choosing rox as a desktop you would like rox as a file manager as well.
That is certainly a reasonable assumption, as is the assumption that an app called"desktop-defaults" will list the defaults. Its a little confusing to see all the other apps listed that are the current defaults, but not the file manager. Is there a way to hook desktop-defaults's file manager selection to the currently selected desktop choice?