skidoo
I'm confirming my earlier report ~~"choose default WM/desktop" is not displayed to bootmenu screen

antiX-14-a3-RV_386-core-libre.iso
booted from usb pendrive
bootmenu F7 is"select console resolution"

antiX-14-a3-RV_386-full.iso
booted from usb pendrive
bootmenu F7 is"dpi"

I'm also confirming that F6 save is not preserving"console resolution". At next boot (and choosing"custom" menu line) it's back to 800x600
This is for antiX-14-a3-RV_386-full.iso (I didn't for this with"core" iso)
skidoo
antiX-14-a3-RV_386-core-libre.iso
looooooong delay (10-15seconds)
where"root persistence has just been enabled" and user is prompted to set new user and root passwords.
type user password, press enter. Wait 10-15 seconds...
...respond to subsequent"reenter password" prompt and want another 10-15 seconds.
Same delay (times 2) when entering password for root.

==========

This delay is also present for antiX-14-a3-RV_386-full.iso
but (and) user is ONLY prompted to change root password (no prompt is presented to change"demo" password)
Last edited by skidoo on 15 Oct 2014, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
skidoo
antiX-14-a3-RV_386-full.iso
live, semi-automatic root persistence

launching synaptic from root terminal prompt,"dbus error" is displayed. This time 'round in my testing, synaptic DID launch... but borders to all tickbox inputs were absent, and clicking at the locations(s) of the expected input fields displayed a checkmark only while mouse button was held down (upon mouseup, no checkmark, no change to the pref)

icewm menu. First item is labeled"terminal". Started... and immediately exited. I tried several times. I logged out, logged back in, retried. No dice.
same behavior (immediate exit) for several ControlCentre apps I tried to launch, including"manage firewall"

attempt to launch root terminal from menu, it launched roxterm... but had to wade past 4 error dialog boxes, each redundantly reporting"unable to save options file /home/demo/.config.sf.../default"

ControlCentre }} System }} Configure System }} LOCALE tab
all the inputs are locked(?) or are otherwise unresponsive.
e.g. click not accepted for"select keyboard map" and selectbox displaying"leave default" for change mouse order is not selectable.
Wondering whether some of the inputs are dependent on certain other prefs, I clicked all over the place, trying to see whether I could change anything.
Nope, every one of the inputs on the locale tab were unresponsive.

Same as I reported back about a year ago... regardless the current setting, each time the settings dialog for mouse acceleration/threshhold is opened, the dialog displays accel=5 and threshhold=1. Changing the settings"works", yer changes are applied, but it's confusing to return to find unchanged values being reported in the dialog.
skidoo
If a persistence bootmenu line is is chosen, but persistence container does not yet exist...
...I had the recollection that the script prompted a choice of manual/semi/automatic mode (and it advised that the election could be changed later)

Today, while testing, I'm not seeing a"mode" prompt... and, with core, I wound up lost (couldn't remember which cli command, or which conf file to edit, in order to set the mode to semi-automatic)
anticapitalista
Site Admin
skidoo - F6 shows the available desktops and does so here and F6 shows the console resolution
Are you booting from live cd/usb/frugal? If usb via unetbootin?

Thanks for all the feedback. Very valuable. Don't throw away the iso files you downloaded since they can be patched with the fixes we find (and the patch will be much smaller than a new iso)
dolphin_oracle
my boot menus look like skidoos. no desktop choices. this is liveUSB made with Unetbootin and universal-usb-installer from a windows environment.
male
supplement to

D=systemD version
32 bit versions use 3.15 kernel.

Code: Select all

root@antix14i386RD:/home/male# blkid -c /dev/null -o list
device             fs_type   label      mount point            UUID
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/sda1          ext4      arch       (not mounted)          a9ef9356-c881-4f21-82c2-d6b35ad809b3
/dev/sda2          ext4                 (not mounted)          289721dd-e2ef-4bba-bcc8-74284c740b00
/dev/sda5          ext4                 (not mounted)          06d9e1bf-b5c1-4ae8-b13b-e5eff1b2cc07
/dev/sda6          vfat      DATEN      (not mounted)          1B84-0566
/dev/sda7          ext4                 (not mounted)          c0009a5c-b969-47fa-8df1-b2a42cd6ad1d
/dev/sda8          ext4                 (not mounted)          e7bdb018-fc39-4d07-9cab-c612d6b90407
/dev/sda9          ext4                 (not mounted)          409deada-dd82-476d-848b-a6d64727b5b9
/dev/sda10         ext4                 (not mounted)          106b3fa3-d0c5-42b9-9abd-431471079825
/dev/sda11         ext4                 /                      b5403497-7772-47de-99dc-a3db69b98067
/dev/sdb1          ext4                 (not mounted)          484077cb-d3e8-4773-b5f5-f4298730fbf4
/dev/sdb5          ext4                 (not mounted)          15ffb655-1b0b-4e79-9dc6-c759fb894732
/dev/sdb6          swap                 (not mounted)          04f4f80e-26b7-4da2-b930-38b5b671a019
Boot loader in the MBR of sda = syslinux
starts the boot loader of antiX (grub) in sda11

no problems

PS: the gparted-crash of @roky I can confirm in this version
this occurs only after loading all HDD's in (accessed through the menu"antixcc")

the does not have alpha-3 RD x86_64
Last edited by male on 15 Oct 2014, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
male
BitJam wrote:Problem: Boot menu lacking for selecting desktop session
The"F6 Desktop" bootloader menu works here on antiX-14-a3-RD_x64-full. Can anyone reproduce the problem and/or say which iso has the problem?
none of systemd versions
male
BitJam wrote:BTW: I could get the syslinux chain.c32 module to work with the MX-14.2 bootloader but not with the antiX-14-a3 bootloader. I have no idea why. They should be almost identical. On a LiveUSB, copy the chain.c32 file into the /boot/syslinux directory on the LiveUSB and then add an entry as shown in the examples here:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Comboot/chain.c32"
linktext was:"http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/ ... /chain.c32"
====================================
It can be used to chainload other operating systems from the Live system. It is powerful when it works.

# Config file for Syslinux -
# /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
#
# Comboot modules:
#   * menu.c32 - provides a text menu
#   * vesamenu.c32 - provides a graphical menu
#   * chain.c32 - chainload MBRs, partition boot sectors, Windows bootloaders
#   * hdt.c32 - hardware detection tool
#   * reboot.c32 - reboots the system
#
# To Use: Copy the respective files from /usr/lib/syslinux to /boot/syslinux.
# If /usr and /boot are on the same file system, symlink the files instead
# of copying them.
#
# If you do not use a menu, a 'boot:' prompt will be shown and the system
# will boot automatically after 5 seconds.
#
# Please review the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux
# The wiki provides further configuration examples

DEFAULT arch
PROMPT 1        # Set to 1 if you always want to display the boot: prompt 
TIMEOUT 250
# You can create syslinux keymaps with the keytab-lilo tool
#KBDMAP de.ktl

# Menu Configuration
# Either menu.c32 or vesamenu32.c32 must be copied to /boot/syslinux 
#UI menu.c32
UI vesamenu.c32

# Refer to http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Doc/menu
MENU TITLE Arch Linux
MENU BACKGROUND splash.png
MENU COLOR border       30;44   #40ffffff #a0000000 std
MENU COLOR title        1;36;44 #9033ccff #a0000000 std
MENU COLOR sel          7;37;40 #e0ffffff #20ffffff all
MENU COLOR unsel        37;44   #50ffffff #a0000000 std
MENU COLOR help         37;40   #c0ffffff #a0000000 std
MENU COLOR timeout_msg  37;40   #80ffffff #00000000 std
MENU COLOR timeout      1;37;40 #c0ffffff #00000000 std
MENU COLOR msg07        37;40   #90ffffff #a0000000 std
MENU COLOR tabmsg       31;40   #30ffffff #00000000 std

# boot sections follow
#
# TIP: If you want a 1024x768 framebuffer, add"vga=773" to your kernel line.
#
#-*

LABEL arch
    MENU LABEL Arch Linux
    LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
    APPEND root=/dev/sda1 rw
    INITRD ../initramfs-linux.img

LABEL archfallback
    MENU LABEL Arch Linux Fallback
    LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
    APPEND root=/dev/sda1 rw
    INITRD ../initramfs-linux-fallback.img

LABEL antiX14
    MENU LABEL antiX14-beta
    COM32 chain.c32
    APPEND hd0 7

LABEL mx14
    MENU LABEL mx14-alt
    COM32 chain.c32
    APPEND hd0 9

LABEL mageia3
    MENU LABEL mageia3-grub2
    COM32 chain.c32
    APPEND hd1

LABEL mx14
    MENU LABEL mx14-neu
    COM32 chain.c32
    APPEND hd0 10

LABEL antiX14RD
    MENU LABEL antiX14-beta3-RD
    COM32 chain.c32
    APPEND hd0 11

#LABEL windows
#        MENU LABEL Windows
#        COM32 chain.c32
#        APPEND hd0 1

LABEL hdt
        MENU LABEL HDT (Hardware Detection Tool)
        COM32 hdt.c32

LABEL reboot
        MENU LABEL Reboot
        COM32 reboot.c32

LABEL poweroff
        MENU LABEL Poweroff
        COM32 poweroff.c32
BitJam
dolphin_oracle wrote:my boot menus look like skidoos. no desktop choices. this is liveUSB made with Unetbootin and universal-usb-installer from a windows environment.
Ah yes. It is coming back to me now. The"F6 Desktop" menu changes to"F6 Save" on LiveUSBs. To get the Desktop menu back delete /live/boot-dev/boot/syslinux/gfxsave.on.

We ran out of function key menus so the plan was to replace"F6 Desktop" with"F6 Save" on LiveUSBs. The reason for this was because we also added a feature to remember your choice of desktop across reboots. Use the"Desktop" -->"Alternative Desktops" menu to select which window manager you want to use. You can do this at any time. On a LiveUSB, this choice should persist across reboots even without any persistence enabled.

There are a handful of issues:
  • Is this a good idea?
  • If not, which other function key menu should we sacrifice?
  • If it is a good, idea, how do we explain it to users?
  • It is almost certainly not working with systemd but I should be able to fix it
  • It might be working with SysV but we have to test it. I have seen it work.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Please check when booting live, (inxi -F) which graphics driver is being used. If fbdev is used and the screen resolution is more than 800x600, then synaptic will give the error of not being able to click on accept pop up buttons.

If when running live and you do get fbdev, then try rebooting, F5 vesa and type xres=1024x768 (or whatever you use).
This should fix the synaptic bug and maybe other ones too(?)
BitJam
How to test the new LiveUSB persistent desktop feature
  1. Download live-init.tar.gz and unpack it in the /live/boot-dev/antiX directory. A subdirectory named"xtra" should appear.
  2. Select the desktop you want from the"Desktop" -->"Alternative Desktops" menu.
  3. Run:"sudo /etc/init.d/live-init stop"
  4. Reboot.
I know step 3 is needed with systemd. I don't know if it is needed with svsV (but it won't hurt).

Notes:
  • The desktop choice is stored in /antiX/desktop/$USER/default-desktop on the LiveUSB.
  • If persistence is enabled then this feature is disabled since persistence will save save your desktop choice across reboots.
BitJam
anticapitalista wrote:... synaptic will give the error of not being able to click on accept pop up buttons.
Even"Edit" -->"Apply Marked Changes" does not work.

This may be associated with the following error message in Xorg.0.log:

FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid Argument
I am very surprised this would affect the"apply" feature in Synaptic.
skidoo
Yes, using unetbootin here.
The only"issue" introduced by that wildcard (unetbootin + FAT32 boot partition) that I'm aware of is
"the one-time operartion of creating an empty persistence file takes a stupidly long time to complete"
but that's now been addressed (marching dots and/or yad progressbar displayed to indicate progress during the operation)
There are a handful of issues:

. Is this a good idea?
. If not, which other function key menu should we sacrifice?
. If it is a good, idea, how do we explain it to users?
Across my distrohopping travels, the antiX live bootmenu"desktop chooser" stands out as a distinguishing (perhaps singularly unique) feature of the distro. Persistence"remembering" the chosen desktop (er, window manager) is a wonderful feature, but only after a new user has made his way 'round to exploring the use of perisistence. Autologin (not for me) is probably also a welcome option... but throughout persistence and/or autologin and/or eventual remaster, I think it's the bootmenu option which serves as continual reminder to users that antiX is uniquely flexible.

To"make room", I would vote to discard F key for the timezone chooser.
Instead, that could be entered as a bootline arg (and documented in the F1 docs, or not) or docs/faq can steer user to changing tz from a desktop utility.
As is, and I've mentioned this buku times (and reply has been"cause your other O/S is dumbass windoze") -- bootmenu TZ setting is ineffective for me (and surely represents an ongoing thorn in the side of other dual-boot users)
BitJam
skidoo wrote:Across my distrohopping travels, the antiX live bootmenu"desktop chooser" stands out as a distinguishing (perhaps singularly unique) feature of the distro. Persistence"remembering" the chosen desktop (er, window manager) is a wonderful feature, but only after a new user has made his way 'round to exploring the use of perisistence.
In case it wasn't clear, this feature (when it is working properly) does not require persistence in order to work.

I agree that the"F6 Desktop" bootloader menu is great, but I think the (new for antiX-14)"Alternative Desktops" menu right on the desktop itself is much better. You can switch between window managers (WMs) with ease. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you give it a spin. It is almost magically good. No more logging out of X just to try a different WM or desktop icon service. Better still, all of your open windows are preserved. Trying out different window managers has never been easier.

Given that it is so easy to change WMs with the"Alternative Desktops" menu, it seemed like a natural extension to always start with the last WM you selected. This already happens whenever you log out of X and even across reboots on installed and persistent systems. We just extended it to also remember across reboots on the liveUSB even without persistence. There is no longer any need for"update-default-desktop". You select the default desktop by selecting the desktop (in the"Alternate Desktop" menu). WYSIWYG.

Isn't it better to select the desktop you want just once rather than have to select it every time you boot? Given how very easy it is to change the desktop now, defaulting to the last desktop selected seems like the only natural thing to do. Any other behavior seems a little broken to me, or at least a step backward. I'd like to play the same trick with the timezone and any other boot parameters that can be changed by the user after they boot (but I don't know how easy that would be).

I hate change for the sake of change but I think this change is a significant improvement. Of course, users don't always agree with me.