anticapitalista
Site Admin
Full, base and core available for 'final' testing.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/"
linktext was:"https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... s/Testing/"
====================================

All are fully updated Debian Testing 26 May 2012.
New 3.3.5 kernel.
antixsnapshot should now boot with iso files over 2 GB.

Note: antiX-core is libre ie only the main part of the Debian repo is enabled and no firmware included.
Hopefully ceni will pick up ethernet ok.

Issues still with gui for antiX2usb. Use the cli version (new_usb.sh) to install to usb stick.

Post issues/comments here.

Added:

These versions come with systemd installed, which might/should quicken boot up time once installed.
To test it out on an installed system, simply add the following to the /boot/grub/menu.lst

Code: Select all

init=/bin/systemd 
Dave
So far only one thing I have came across while testing full.

for (antixcc -> session -> change cursor theme) maybe there is no need as (antixcc ->desktop ->change gtk2 and icon themes) has an option to change cursor theme. Maybe change the name"change gtk2 and icon themes" to"theme settings"

I do have a newer version of the wallpaper script as well if you would like it, or wait till after final.
afab4
Still can't get F1 icewm with no rox pinboard to stick after logout/login or reboot.
I can modify .xinitrc of course, but isn't it supposed to"remember" your last selection automatically?
This is on a USB with persistence.
EDIT: Fixed by choosing the"noRox" cheat code at boot after setting up persistence.

Also bootup is slowed down miserably on LIVE when DHCPDISCOVER is trying to find an address for network card. This probably only applies when you are booting with no network or using wireless.
You can change the default time out in /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf to something around 10 seconds.
Still gives DHCP enough time to find a lease if present.
This is a DEBIAN issue and seems to have appeared witht he newest version of netbase and ifupdown.
EDIT:
You can also go to /etc/network/interfaces and move your wireless to be the first entry. DHCPDISCOVER will find your wireless card first and once connected will bypass your eth0 or wired card.
afab4
Dave wrote:So far only one thing I have came across while testing full.

for (antixcc -> session -> change cursor theme) maybe there is no need as (antixcc ->desktop ->change gtk2 and icon themes) has an option to change cursor theme. Maybe change the name"change gtk2 and icon themes" to"theme settings"

I do have a newer version of the wallpaper script as well if you would like it, or wait till after final.
In antiX-486 FULL hard drive install, antixcc>Session>Edit Login Options, changing the default desktop works great except the option to restart X-Windows after a 5 second delay doesn't work for me.
Advert-block-antix is installed but it is not in the menu. Runs OK if you call the script from a root terminal.
The"Phonebook" script doesn't work for me.
Will add more stuff if I find anything.
SilverBear
First of all:
antiX 12 looks REAL good! I have not yet done a full test on it. But I've been experimenting with the Live session and this afternoon did an install to the HDD. What I see so far makes me very happy.

For the record, I'm using an ASUS Eee PC 904HA with the stock 160 gb hdd, but with the RAM upgraded to 2GB.

For now, I have only these 3 problems/issues to report, all having to do with aspects of the installer:
1] Installer: the initial license screens [both R & L panes] mention Mepis. On the left, it's actually titled MEPIS COLLECTIVE WORK LICENSE, and the right pane of the window also talks about Mepis a few times. That should probably get updated in view of the new nature of antiX 12.

2] Installer: There is only an option to install GRUB on the MBR, but not on the root partition. IMO, this is a serious drawback for multi-boot machines like mine. I've encountered Slackware-based distros like that [with LILO, no less!] but that's Slackware. . .
This was especially a problem for me since the antiX GRUB installer did not correctly add my Fedora 16 LXDE installation to the boot menu. When I am using GRUB legacy, I prefer to manage my bootloader from one distro and chainload the others. But without the ability to install a distro's bootloader on it's root partition, well, it can't be chainloaded. I'm an habitual antiX user, so I'm going to go to the trouble of getting everything working right again. But someone just now installing antiX for the first time might get irritated that it torpedoed his main distro!

GRUB 2 usually does a superior job of detecting all installed distros. So if you can't configure the GRUB legacy installer to provide a root-partition install option, it might be better to use GRUB 2.

3] Installer: Like the Mepis installer, antiX seems to offer a checkbox to install SAMBA. But it is grey'd out, and not really a functional option. It should either be an viable choice, or else not appear at all during the antiX installation process.

Thanks for the great new antiX, anticapitalista! I'm busy with a few other things, but I'll continue to test and report.
__{{emoticon}}__
--SB
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Quick comment to number 2 as it it very late.

Due to issues in installing to root partition, the option is now to install to MBR or not install at all. If you choose to uncheck ie not install anywhere, does it do what you want?

Good to hear from you SB __{{emoticon}}__
wh7qq
Frustration! Want to try 12 but can't get a download to complete from Sourceforge...think it has to do with the long latencies that my satellite internet (Starband: 1-3+ seconds) pops with too much frequency...if it happens when sourceforge stops momentarily and starts up again, they think the connection has broken and kill the download. Using wget -c but no joy. Grrrr! Can't get a good landlne here so have to depend on the filthy birds.
masinick
I upgraded my antiX-base M12.0 test instance and it brought in the latest packages that make the overall system equivalent to the final testing version. Looks good over here.
rayburn
rayburn
I have run an EeePc 701 on an installation of antiX-base M12.0 test (installed to an SD card), and can find no issues with it, unlike the t2 release that would not run for more than a few minutes before the cursor would freeze. So the only problem I had with an earlier test release has been resolved, thank you! And well done to all involved in this release.
rokytnji
rokytnji
wh7qq wrote:Frustration! Want to try 12 but can't get a download to complete from Sourceforge...think it has to do with the long latencies that my satellite internet (Starband: 1-3+ seconds) pops with too much frequency...if it happens when sourceforge stops momentarily and starts up again, they think the connection has broken and kill the download. Using wget -c but no joy. Grrrr! Can't get a good landlne here so have to depend on the filthy birds.
Not sure if you are running a linux distro already. If so. I use

Code: Select all

wget (copied link for distro download goes here)
Because my ISP can be flaky like yours also at times. It reconnects dropped connections after a time out.
masinick
masinick wrote:I upgraded my antiX-base M12.0 test instance and it brought in the latest packages that make the overall system equivalent to the final testing version. Looks good over here.
Not only did I upgrade my existing test instance, I just picked up a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop from my sister this past week, and yesterday I installed antiX-base M12.0-t3, then applied the updates, especially those from our antiX-specific archives, then updated and configured it all. On the newly installed system, the only issue I encountered, and I have to follow up to see what's going on, is that the sound was muted; may be just an interface setting somewhere; have not yet had enough time to really research and resolve it yet; could also be the system lacks a working speaker; that's entirely possible too.

What I can tell you about the Dimension 3000 is that it's a nice system, but it goes pretty far back in the Dell desktop series. I had a Dell Dimension 4100 that goes all the way back to 2000-2001, and it gave me nearly a decade of useful service. I really think it was some of those lines (Dimension and Latitude, their classic desktop and laptop lines) that helped Dell achieve their popularity. There more recent systems may be good, too, but I personally have found those two old lines to be very reliable; the only rub with Latitude series laptops is that they tend to run hot; a laptop tray with a USB-powered fan is a good idea to supplement their ventilation systems.

As far as antiX goes, and the type of software that I use, I am happy with it, and continue to recommend it. I find it brings new life to old systems, and even test versions, which may have a few minor issues here and there, still are rock solid, when it comes to the essential installation and configuration tools. Kudos to Warren Woodford and the MEPIS team for providing the original infrastructure, and credit to anti and our own antiX development community and testers for following in Warren's footsteps with fine attention to detail, even when we chart our own path that diverges a little bit from its original roots. We certainly have a solid heritage in both our Debian and MEPIS roots, and I count it a privilege to be an active tester and promoter of our software.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Anyone tried out systemd yet?
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:Anyone tried out systemd yet?
I've been fooling around with it on my Sid system, but not so far with antiX. It does speed things up on boot quite a bit, but in my mind, Debian has to invest more in the infrastructure; there are two many things I had to do by hand and it messed up a few things for me; for instance, sudo doesn't work right the way that I configured it. So my recommendation would be to wait on it a bit until Debian makes it standard, unless they improve the techniques and provide automated tools to make the transistion safer and easier.

It'll be well worth it, but only if you know what you're doing; I only partially knew - based on what little documentation I could find on it.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks Brian. systemd is included as a (boot) option in antiX. I tend to agree with you that it needs work in Debian and I'm sure the Debian folks will get it sorted when they can.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:Thanks Brian. systemd is included as a (boot) option in antiX. I tend to agree with you that it needs work in Debian and I'm sure the Debian folks will get it sorted when they can.
anti, I just tried it with the 3.3.5 kernel. I appended the init=/bin/systemd twice to the boot command on the linux line (using GRUB 2, with the MBR on my Debian Sid system). Coming into antiX-base M12.0 with this option caused two kernel panics in a row. Booted the standard way right after that and it worked perfectly. So that tells me that I either used it wrong or it's not working, maybe some of both.

I'd recommend more experimentation, but I'd definitely caution AGAINST making it any kind of default. It's nowhere near ready for that, as promising as it looks.