dolphin_oracle
I changed the dns to 4.2.2.2 as you suggested. That worked. I have not hooked directly to the dsl modem yet, as I haven't had the opportunity to shutdown the rest of the house's activities.

I don't understand why that dns would work and not the one provided by the isp (192.168.7.54 or .64 I think, I'm working from memory). At least , that is the dns that the router is handing out to the networked computers.

Unfortunately I've run out of time this morning and have to go to work. I can test more tonight. Oh, I would have posted sooner, but I got a php error and was locked out of the forums for a while.
Dave
by the dns from the isp do you mean on the cisco or on the computer?
it looks like the computer is recieving from the cisco seeing how it is a 192.168.*., this is not typically isp fashion. If this is the case, is the address the same as your gateway?
From my mental picture of your network it seems that you are using dhcp from the cisco and the netgear is geared down to only a WAP. Generally the dns and gateway are the same in a lan type of setup (unless you install your own dns server __{{emoticon}}__ ). In a default cisco / linksys fashion the address recieved would be 192.168.1.1 for both. If they are different, I would try changing the dns to match the gateway.
Both in ceni and wicd there should be an option to specify a different dns address, and if you have specified a dns entry from before (say at work) then it will try to use the specified address over the router's given address .

The address 4.2.2.2 is a global dns server which is always valid and functioning, I always use it as my seccondary dns server in case I have funny problems on the primary like you are.
dolphin_oracle
The router at work sends out a number like 209.*.*.*.

You have the right idea on my network configuration at home. dslmodem to cisco/linksys router to both a switch and a netgear router acting as a WAP only.

The internal IP address of the cisco/linksys is as you say 192.168.1.1. This is the same as the gateway settings issued by the dhcp server in the cisco/linksys. The dns though is 192.168.7.* . I will try to determine at lunchtime where that address is coming from. The issue remains that so far only the antix setups hiccup on the settings the cisco/linksys is handing out. The only thing different from the default settings on the cisco/linksys is that I turned off the wireless network functions as I didn't need them. The only reason I'm using the thing is that I needed a router separate from my wap and I had a brand new one laying around from a vendor promotion.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
d_o, is resolvconf installed?
dolphin_oracle
I will check. Right now we are having serious storms and it may be awhile. power is out at home.

attached is a picture of the"internet" settings from the router.

rokytnji
Had a bit of a scare. I dist-upgraded my flash card AntiX 12 install. I paid attention to

Code: Select all

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libept1 libgstfarsight0.10-0 linux-sound-base smbfs
because linux-sound-base removal had me worried. I went ahead any way and said yes. Rebooted. Checked sound. Nothing. So I went into antixcc and used the Hardware>reconfigure sound system button. Typed in my password in the terminal Window that opens up. Hit enter. Terminal crashes. Tried a few times.

So. I move on to opening terminal and typing in

alsamixer
Found that Master volume control was muted __{{emoticon}}__ . Unmuted it with m key. Now sound works.
A lot of antix tools form Daves server were updated during dist-upgrade like antixsnapdhot.sh and probably antixcc.sh also. So I don;t know for sure if it is a bug or not as far as Harware>configure sound system crashing is concerned. I'm just reporting what I saw.

dark-D
linux-sound-base was dropped as a package. here is the changelog:
* Drop linux-sound-base: OSS was removed from the kernel pre-squeeze.
(closes: #662038). Remove all module list generation machinery,
it's now obsolete.
* Removing linux-sound-base also closes: #376241, #558408 the hard way.
* Make alsa-base Break: linux-sound-base, to get it uninstalled on
upgrades. l-s-b postrm should take care of the cleanups.

also i was under the impression that alsaconf is depreciated and shouldn't be used, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
afab4
3.4.4 kernel

masinick
Did not notice the 3.4.4 kernel available at first, but happened to spot it today when I was going through the forum and so I checked mepisimo and grabbed it from there. I'm running it at the moment with my antiX core system that I built a year ago from the M11.0 release and run from Debian Sid archives. Next time I run my antiX-base M12.0 Pre Final setup. I will add it in there too. Both core and base have been working well for me with all of the kernels.

Here are the stats and usage consumption, running with a test Seamonkey Nightly browser image, an Xfce terminal, and the Xfce desktop, after about 3/4 hour of light use:

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antiX Kernel: 3.4.4-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.0) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.8.3 (Gtk 2.24.9) Distro: antiX-M11-686 Jayaben Desai 01 May 2011
Machine:   System: Gateway product: MX8738 version: 3408450R
           Mobo: Gateway model: N/A version: 72.15 Bios: Phoenix version: 72.15 date: 04/16/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel CPU T2080 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6915.88 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.12.1.902 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection driver: e100 ver: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 04:08.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1600BEVS size: 160.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 13G used: 4.1G (34%) fs: ext3 ID: swap-1 size: 2.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 118 Uptime: 44 min Memory: 276.8/2015.6MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.11 
dolphin_oracle
Power is back on, so I've been testing again with the weird internet setup. I've traced my routing/dns problem back to the dsl modem itself. It sets up a NAT between its actual outside world addresses and my network. THat's where the 192.168.7.54 gateway/dns addresses were coming from. The device has a web configuration page with very limited info and options, but it did have the actual dns and domains (in my case 68.*.*.*) for the service. I edited those into resolv.conf and everything works (posting that way now).

The fact still remains that every other OS I've used works with this setup without editing. antix almost works, but fails with most subdomains. yahoo.com works, but sports.yahoo.com doesn't. I use AT&T U-VERSE DSL with a Motorola DSL modem, so its not like I'm on uncommon service or hardware.

However, this work around of editing resolv.conf does work. but I have to manually edit the file everytime I change networks, or at least when I've used a different network and then return to my own.
dolphin_oracle
Ok, been exploring the network settings some more. Still cannot use dns correctly through the normal dhcp of the dsl modem. However, wicd is very nice in letting you set dns settings per network profile, even if you are getting a ip address via dhcp. so as far as making these usable at home, I'm good. Since you can specify most any dns, this should also work if I encounter this situation while out and about with the computers (I haven't yet, only with the u-verse dsl device).

resolveconf is not installed by default, and did not make any changes to my situation.
removing iptables also did nothing.
connecting direct to the device didn't help.
ubuntu uses a service called dnsmasq in between network-manager and the gateway. I don't know if that is how it gets around this issue or not. I have seen a lot of people not very happy with the motorola 2210-02 dsl modem for a variety of reasons, including with issues with connecting x-boxes. so maybe it ain't just antix.

so my suggestion to others in this situation is to specify your dns explicity using the wicd profiles.

I'll stop harping on it now.
drg
Just to mention some “testing” I tried with zram and antiX12 PreFinal. Posted at 'Compressing RAM with zRam'

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3536&start=45

Ya, it’s a double post in a way, but thought this belongs here too.
Dave
rust collector and myself came across an issue while trying out new user-management scripts.

It seems that users are not being"fully" logged out.
We were:
logging in as regular user
open terminal and become root
add another user: example: Demo, either through user-management or by adduser
close terminal session
logout
login as new user (Demo)
logout
login as regular user
open terminal and become root
remove new user (Demo), either through user-management or by deluser

The following error is recieved

userdel: user Demo is currently used by process 14938
/usr/sbin/deluser: `/usr/sbin/userdel Demo' returned error code 8. Exiting.
[\code]

When looking into the process id, it is 
/usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session 
that is holding the user from being removed. 

A reboot (or killing the process)  solves the issue.
I am not sure if it will afffect the operation of other things, so posting it .
rokytnji
Not sure if this has anything to do with
rust collector and myself came across an issue while trying out new user-management scripts.
But I know on previous releases of AntiX. Having Wicd Installed and being used. One needed to add another user named demo for wicd to work after a wicd dist-upgrade. Like I said. I don't know if it is relevant to the above post or not. Just thought I would mention it.

Edit: after reading the chat window (I posted before I read it). I guess my post is not relevant to what they are talking about maybe.
Dave
i do not think it is rokytnji, as it is a problem for any username.
i was thinking of that as wll so you are not completely irrelavent. That is what lead to the testing of other users __{{emoticon}}__