antiX-17.1 (Heather Heyer) released
This is primarily an upgrade of antiX-17 with a new Meltdown/Spectre patched kernel and a few new applications for users to enjoy.
As usual we offer the following completely systemd-free flavours for both 32 and 64 bit architecture.
antiX-full (c800MB) – 4 windows managers – IceWM (default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm plus full libreoffice suite.
antiX-base (c650MB so fits on a cd) – 4 windows managers – IceWM (default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm.
antiX-core (c320 MB) – no X, but should support most wireless.
antiX-net (c150MB)- no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build.
The 32 bit version uses a non-pae kernel.
So what has changed since antiX-17 release?
* new 4.9.87 patched for Meltdown/Spectre kernel
* all packages upgraded to Debian 9.4
* elogind now included on full and base flavours
* eudev updated from 3.2 to 3.5
* firefox-esr upgraded to 52.7.1
* libreoffice version 5.2.7-1 (full only)
* xf86-video-sisimedia-antix – latest version for sis graphics
* improved localization including new languages offered eg Amharic
* many more
* repo-manager – ported from MX Linux – gui to easily set up default repositories.
* antix-viewer – ported from mx-viewer – very simple viewer to display an URL
* live-usb-maker-gui-antix – ported from MX Linux as a front end to the antiX live-usb-maker application.
So, why should I use antiX?
* light on system resources
* Install to harddrive,
* Set up and run live from an encrypted stick with persistence and remaster
* Frugal install on a partition.
* Option to run bleeding edge Debian Testing (buster) or sid.
The choice is yours!
The most extensive live usb on the planet!
So what is included?
* Based on Debian Stretch, but without systemd and libsystemd0.
* eudev instead of systemd-udev
* Customised kernel with fbcondecor splash
* libreoffice (full version only)
* systemd-free cups for printing
* xmms -for audio
* gnome-mpv – for playing video
* smtube – play youtube videos without a using a browser
* streamlight-antix – stream videos with very low RAM usage.
* evince – pdf reader
* latest adobe-flashplugin
File managers and desktop:
Convert your video and audio files with:
Connect to the net with:
* ceni – default
* wicd – turned off by default. Use F4 at the live boot menu and choose wicd to turn it on.
* gnome-ppp – if you are still on dial-up
* Midnight Commander
Tools for remastering and creating snapshots of installed system:
* remaster tools
* codecs installer
* ddm-mx – install nvidia drivers
* hexchat – gui chat
* luckybackup – excellent backup tool. There’s nothing lucky about it!
* simple-scan – for scanning documents
* transmission-gtk – torrent downloader
* wingrid-antix – turn the stacking window managers into tilers.
* Xfburn for burning cd/dvd
* connectshares-antix for network shares
* droopy-antix – an easy way to transfer files over the net.
* mirage – image viewer
* package-installer – install applications easily and safely
* antiX Control Centre – an easy way to do just about anything!
* streamtuner2 – listen to streaming radio
* cherrytree – note taking application
* lxkeymap – gui to set system localisation
* fskbsetting – gui to set live localisation
Why not try out our included ‘cli’ apps:
* Editors: nano and vim
* Newsreader: newsbeuter
* Chat: irssi
* Audio player: mocp
* Radio: pmrp
* Video player: mpv
* Youtube video: mps-youtube
* Audio ripper: abcde
* Torrent: rtorrent
* Cd burner: cdw
* Writer: Wordgrinder
* cli-aptiX – command line synaptics
* live-kernel-updater – update kernel when running live
* backlight-brightness – usefull tool for laptops
* antiX-cli-cc – command line control centre
Cool in-house antiX apps available in the repos:
* 1-to-1-voice-antix – Voice chat between two pcs via encrypted mumble
* 1-to-1-assistance-antix – Remote access help application
* ssh-conduit – Remote resources via an ssh encrypted connection
”Great ”’LiveUSB”’ features:”
o fast boot times without systemd
o auto-customizable bootloaders (legacy and uefi)
o easy persistence and easy frugal installs
o remasters and respins
o legacy and 32-bit uefi and 64-bit uefi
o encrypted live usb
Many thanks to the antiX team, testers, supporters, and translators.
Also many thanks to the MX Linux programmers for various applications ported to antiX.
anticapitalista, 18 March 2018, Thessaloniki.