rokytnji
But it beat me up.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://postimage.org/app.php"
linktext was:"screen shots"
====================================

Code: Select all

scooter_tramp@slitaz:~$ inxi -wxx
Resuming in non X mode: xdpyinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
Weather:   Conditions: 76 F (24 C) - Partly Cloudy Wind:12mph
System:    Host: slitaz Kernel: 3.2.53-slitaz i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.5.2) dm: N/A 
           Distro: 5.0 
Machine:   System: IBM (portable) product: 2628TWU
           Mobo: IBM model: 2628TWU
           Bios: IBM v: KXET33WW (1.06 ) date: 09/05/2001
           Chassis: type: 10
CPU:       Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB
           flags: (pae sse) bmips: 1992 clocked at 996 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Rage Mobility AGP 2x Series
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:4c4d
           Display Server: X.org 1.12.4 drivers: vesa (unloaded: fbdev)
           Resolution: N/A
Audio:     Card Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] 
           driver: snd_cs46xx bus-ID: 00:05.0 chip-ID: 1013:6003 
           Sound: ALSA v: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: 3Com 3c556B CardBus [Tornado]
           driver: 3c59x port: 1400
           bus-ID: 00:03.0 chip-ID: 10b7:6056
           IF: eth0 state: down 
           mac: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR2413/AR2414 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5005G(S) 802.11bg]
           driver: ath5k
           bus-ID: 06:00.0 chip-ID: 168c:001a
           IF: wlan0 state: up 
           mac:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
           IF: eth0 ip: N/A ip-v6: N/A 
Sound quit, Alsamixer was resetting every boot. Some package installs work OK. Some not.
I could write a story on the 2 day adventure. But lets just say Slitaz is too tuff for this biker and
I would need a week or 2 to try and dial it in as good as AntiX works out for me on old gear.

So 13.2 went back on that 100 gig drive. I did a ton of partitioning and, don't get me wrong, Slitaz does have some nice features.
Too bad my skill set or endurance was not up to the challenge. I am always jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Besides.
url was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/attachment.php?attachmentid=7153&d=1306677512"
linktext was:"LXDE always ran easier for me in AntiX"

Maybe I'll revist the next cooking version later. This one was ther latest 5. rc2.

Happy Trails, rok.
rust collector
That is how it usually ends for me as well.
Slitaz is very cool, but I don't"get" it.
jdmeaux1952
Slitaz has tons of features, but the learning curve is ridiculous. Like you said, xfce is easier.
fatmac
Slitaz has tons of features, but the learning curve is ridiculous.
No harder than Slackware to a Debian user, or BSD for that matter, you just have to do things differently.
Was Debian really as easy as you think, when you first used it. __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Like I said in general terms kinda sorta fatmac.

The fault lies a bit with me not having the free time to learn the ins and outs at this time.
Too much is on my table to digest at this time.

I honestly don't have enough free time to learn a new language while also fixing breakdowns from qupzilla and audacious
installs missing libs (tazpkg get-install <pacckage - name> --force> and lose sound and have all kinds of settings change
on a reboot on a full internal drive install.

The fault I place at my feet not giving Slitaz a chance. 2 days is crap for a time frame but shucks, I am busy
with moderator, gear, shop work, mowing grass, riding bicycle again after years of tiding motorcycles.

Only so much time in a day. No where did you see the word hard in my post. Edit: My bad. I aint awake yet and read everything wrong. As usual for me. Bad choice of words on my part saying ridiculous . I can be a ignorant tool posting
sometimes. My vocabulary can be limited after a hot day here.

More like I got my behind handed to me on a platter.
Kinda humbling. It was fun also. I enjoyed it while it lasted.
I know you run it like a old hand.
So don't take me wrong , easy to do on a forum for a GED biker typing words.

Look at Slitaz LXDE ram conky usage in my screen shot. Then look at my AntiX LXDE ram conky usgae in the other screenshot.
Midori is running in the Slitaz one. So comparison is biased a bit. But Midori and Slitaz running processes ram usage
figured into my decision to change. Ram usage was not good in Slitaz. Also no uzbl browser taz.pkg. No mlocate,slocate,or locate taz.pkg.

I know I could build my own with taz-pkgtools or whatever was mentioned as a build-essentials version in Slitaz.
I just do not have the time right now for that. Maybe later.
fatmac
My posting wasn't meant as critisism, just that as with any other system, one does need to give it some time. Also, you may have been unlucky with the RC2 download, it doesn't always work, hence it is still RC. Plus, if it doesn't have the tools you want/need it isn't going to be of much use to you. We are lucky, we have plenty of distros to choose from, one of them will suit, & most likely that is going to be AntiX. __{{emoticon}}__
P.S. Glad to hear you're going back to pedal power...... __{{emoticon}}__
fatmac
If anyone on here wants to try something completely different take a look at GhostBSD4.0-RC1.
WARNING: you may like it! __{{emoticon}}__

url was:"http://www.ghostbsd.org/download-4.0"
linktext was:"http://www.ghostbsd.org/download-4.0"

(Of course I may be a bit biased, me being a moderator on the forum, & testing it! __{{emoticon}}__ )
worktowork
Posts 0
worktowork
fatmac , your idea is better for tester only and who looking for another better OS for PC. Only for personal use and invidual
rokytnji
fatmac wrote:If anyone on here wants to try something completely different take a look at GhostBSD4.0-RC1.
WARNING: you may like it! __{{emoticon}}__

url was:"http://www.ghostbsd.org/download-4.0"
linktext was:"http://www.ghostbsd.org/download-4.0"

(Of course I may be a bit biased, me being a moderator on the forum, & testing it! __{{emoticon}}__ )

Thanks for the mention. Dealing with this friggin Chromebook giving me"we have encountered a unknow error" during recovery mode.
Using Linux, Windows, and Chrome Browser apps. In that order.

url was:"https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595?hl=en"
linktext was:"https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 0595?hl=en"

And having it tell me to go to the above link is spinning my wheels and burning rubber and going no where so far.
Feels like I am again back in 2008 when I first powered on my 1st computer.

I will give ghostbsd a spin when time permits.
jdmeaux1952
It's a flash back to the '80s, man!
ImageImageImageImage
rokytnji
jdmeaux1952 wrote:It's a flash back to the '80s, man!
ImageImageImageImage
Yep
At the"Chrome OS is missing or damaged" screen, insert the recovery media into the USB port or SD card slot on your Chromebook.
If you want, you can reinstall the operating system without seeing the error screen by going into recovery mode. See the"Troubleshooting tips" section below.
The operating system will install automatically. When it finishes, you’ll see a message to remove your recovery media.
After you remove the recovery media, your Chromebook will automatically restart.

Because all of your data has been cleared, you’ll need to sign in to your Chromebook as you did when it was new.
Troubleshooting tips

If you created your recovery media a while ago, it might contain an older version of Chrome OS. Try creating new media with the Chromebook Recovery Utility.

Then follow the steps above to use your recovery media.

You may have an issue with the USB flash drive or the SD card. Try using a different USB flash drive or SD card with the Chromebook Recovery Utility.
After a Sandisk,Kingston,Hewlitt Packard, SD and USB flash media and the same stupid error message over and over again using every chromeos recovery tool available on the planet from Linux,Windows, and Google chrome browser (details on chrome browser one not even working below)

Chrome browser tool

url was:"https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromebook-recovery-utili/jndclpdbaamdhonoechobihbbiimdgai"
linktext was:"https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hbbiimdgai"

Friggin useless so far. Tried mutiple attempts yesterday on different flash drives and at the end of about a approximately a hour of downloading image and installing to flash. End message was failed. Try again. So I tried again, and again, and again.

Nope. Nope. Nope. The Windows one worked OK with a success every time. Maybe they are lying?
The linux one failed with a bad md5sum check on the first try. 2nd try was a success the next day.

All above fail on the netbook after a integrity check the Chrome Book does on the image file on the recovery flash drive I made.
The useless" An unexpected error has occurred" message.

Then they want you to go to a google message board and chat with folks more clueless than you.
I am going to blame this on a bad/failed ssd (16 gig sandisk pc board) and pull the ssd out and see if I can plug it into
another Laptop (I hope I have a plug that fits) or my external tester for ide and sata drives that has a ton of cables and connectors and hooks into a desktop via usb. But not till next week or maybe this weekend. Cuz I am tired of this crap for now.

If the ssd tests good. Then I am really lost. I wish I knew more about flashing the bios on these chromebooks to fix issues like these so I could just bypass the drm hardware checker. I stuck a antix usb in the slot for a experiment. You know what the screen told me?

There is not chromeos on this flash media. Please insert a chromeos flash drive.
Arrrrrrgh.

(I have already been in developer mode but getting to a virtual terminal has not cooperated)
USB Boot

By default, USB booting is disabled. Once you are in Dev-mode and have a root shell (Must be a state secret cuz you left how to get there out of this), you can run:
sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1
USB Boot

By default, USB booting is disabled. Once you are in Dev-mode and have a root shell, you can run:
sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1

and reboot once to boot from USB drives with Ctrl-U.st
and reboot once to boot from USB drives with Ctrl-U.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before following these instructions, remember to put your device into Developer Mode (see above).

Get the command prompt through VT-2
One way to get the login prompt is through something called VT-2, or"virtual terminal 2". This is probably familiar to the Linux hackers out there. You can get to VT-2 by pressing:

[ Ctrl ] [ Alt ] [ => ] Edit by Rok: That key combo does not take while on developer screen on my chromebook. The key combo to get me into developer mode does work though.

...where the [ => ] key is the right-arrow key just above the number 3 on your keyboard.

Once you have the login prompt, you should see a set of instructions telling you about command-line access. By default, you can login as the chronos user with no password. This includes the ability to do password-less sudo. The instructions on the screen will tell you how you can set a password. They also tell you how to disable screen dimming.

The instructions do tell you how to get back to the browser, but because it's so important, I'll also put it here. Just press:

[ Ctrl ] [ Alt ] [ <= ]

...where the [ <= ] key is the left-arrow key just above the number 1 on your keyboard.

SIDE NOTE: For the technical-minded, you may realize that the top-rows of the keyboard on a Chrome OS device are actually treated by Linux as the keys F1 through F10. Thus, the [ => ] key is actually F2 and the [ <= ] key is actually F1.

SIDE NOTE: If you're fooling around, you might also notice that kernel messages show up on VT-8.
So for now, on this friday. You can put a fork in me, because, I am done.
However, as long as you don't crack open the case, you shouldn't be able to do anything that can't be undone by recovery (software).
Cuz that describes me and my situation for right now. I crack open everything. It is in my nature/DNA.
Looks like I am batting a 1000 for failing this week.
fatmac
Glad I didn't buy one, I was thinking about it. Is yours an ARM based one or Intel, (just curious).
When things just won't go right for me, I cuss, then go do something else; come back to it after a couple of days (cooling down time).
jdmeaux1952
Sometimes you and your 'puter need to go nite-nite to recover. __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
fatmac wrote:Glad I didn't buy one, I was thinking about it. Is yours an ARM based one or Intel, (just curious).
When things just won't go right for me, I cuss, then go do something else; come back to it after a couple of days (cooling down time).

It is intel. I cannabilized the ram and put on stick in my Compaq CQ57 to make it 4 gig laptop and the other into the Dell XT2 to make it a 3gig netbook. Waiting on a 1.8 SSD for the Dell next week. A OCZ 180 gig. Power brick should come in around then also.

Blew out the new innertube (maybe 15 miles on it)  on my front tire on the bicycle maybe. I am in a bad spot in the universe or what?  :lol:

One of
url was:"http://images.gizmag.com/hero/smart-tubes.jpg"
linktext was:"those expensive self sealing ones"
. The goat head thorns out here are murder as well as all the broken beer bottle glass on the streets. I tear down the bicycle and buy a new tire and innertube for it. Air compressor won't fill it up so I think I toasted it also.                       
jdmeaux1952
rokytnji wrote:....Blew out the new innertube (maybe 15 miles on it) on my front tire on the bicycle maybe. I am in a bad spot in the universe or what? __{{emoticon}}__

One of
url was:"http://images.gizmag.com/hero/smart-tubes.jpg"
linktext was:"those expensive self sealing ones"
. The goat head thorns out here are murder as well as all the broken beer bottle glass on the streets......
Dude, when Mother Nature wants to piss of you, she does. I'll chant for your GOOD KARMA! __{{emoticon}}__