Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Blew out the new innertube (maybe 15 miles on it) on my front tire on the bicycle maybe. I am in a bad spot in the universe or what?
Listen, as an American, it is your duty to be exceptional in every way, and 15 miles on a bike tyre is an exceptionally short distamce. Obama will be pleased with your exceptional-ism.

Or it could just be that shit happens. __{{emoticon}}__
thriftee
I tripped on this post while hunting for someone elses problem, and I guess its a little old, but that's the same version of SliTaz I got loaded. I was able to load it on both my ancient Dell Inspiron 8100 and a newer HP DV9700.

I think there needs to be a straightforward howto to install to the hard drive.

I had at least some trouble installing with both, but once installed they both run quite well and super-super light. Running JWM on the HP I'm at 28 mb in use with the menu, taskbar, panel, clock, and a terminal running mem. With conky I should be around 30 mb. With my 512 mb machine, that will leave a lot more available. Unfortunately the JWM menus aren't autogenerating on slitaz, so that means either maint work or coming up with a generating scheme working in that environment.

Yes, it doesnt have the 30,000 package repos that debian has, and getting things to work that aren't already there is quite a challenge. I guess it becomes a question of if you can get what you need running.

tazpkg is fine. no better or worse than apt-get, just a bit different syntax. The cooking/wok thing I haven't really understood yet. I got xtron running, but need to work/investigate more to figure out how to package it. I'm not sure I can figure it out unless I find a detailed example that leaves enough breadcrumbs for an old mainframer to find his way in a"slitaz wonderland". I'm saying its good and bad, but you have to understand that all linux terminology is foreign to me, not just slitaz's, but the question is can I find good enough examples, tutorials or question/answer threads to follow it enough to learn to do things.

I bet you are like me and don't like asking others to do things for you. I'm not looking for someone to migrate a 1995 xtron game FOR me, I want to use it to learn.

Oh well, getting very tired here. antiX is better, I think, especially because of its debian heritage and repos, but that 30 mb difference is real tempting to go after...
fatmac
AntiX is my main/daily use distro of choice, but I like both Slitaz & TinyCore for different reasons.

SliTaz because it is so small & fast, TinyCore because it improves upon D.S.L., by allowing either loading extras to ram or loop mounting them to save on ram usage.

Another plus point is that all 3 distros can be remastered fairly easily.
thriftee
hmmm, so what happened to GhostBSD 4.0 then? I was looking at it, but the 10 gb min is a stretch for my meager machines, and would mean I'd have to swap drives just to load it...

I think I tried Tiny Core and DSL at some point, but maybe my linux skills just weren't good enough at that point.

I am not optimistic about slitaz at this point. It would be nice to be able to actually add the few dumb things I want that are missing, and do it kosherly, but I'm just not that knowledgeable on things like linux or C or C++, or packaging or how things get installed or uninstalled under any of the repos.

I did get the"cooking" stuff installed last night, but still have no clue for receipt's or wok's, or how to do what.
fatmac
hmmm, so what happened to GhostBSD 4.0 then?
I'm afraid I got fed up with having to report the same things over & over, every other time it was recompiled.

(A pity as the idea is good, but as a fourth release, such shouldn't happen to my mind.)
thriftee
I understand....
thriftee
Must have been just a glitch. I went into the hospital and while there, Bellard over on the slitaz forum was nice enough to import the original xtron program and posted the code recipe and wok i think to do it, and then my login didn't work anymore, but now its back to working.

Hopefully I will be able to compare that to the project's original instructions and files, and from it learn to get one of my others working.

Gotta keep trying...
skidoo
JWM menus aren't autogenerating on slitaz, so that means either maint work or coming up with a generating scheme working in that environment.
The antix"menu (re)builder" script should be portable. You should be use it in slitaz.
Under slitaz, the script will not _automatically_ regenerate your menu each time you install/remove programs, but you can run the script manually, as needed.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-menu/blob/master/usr/local/bin/desktop-menu"
linktext was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/desktop- ... sktop-menu"
====================================

that 30 mb difference is real tempting to go after...
Have you pursued the bulleted items discussed in the recent thread?
(autostart fewer consoles, different/lighter shell, uvxrt as terminal app...)
I'm guessing you might be able to shave 17-21Mb overhead, but not 30Mb.
thriftee
skidoo wrote:The antix"menu (re)builder" script should be portable. You should be use it in slitaz.
Under slitaz, the script will not _automatically_ regenerate your menu each time you install/remove programs, but you can run the script manually, as needed.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-menu/blob/master/usr/local/bin/desktop-menu"
linktext was:"https://github.com/antiX-Linux/desktop- ... sktop-menu"
====================================

Yes, I agree. Didn't know about the github thing, but was thinking along similar lines. Optimally I'd like them regenerated after any package is installed or removed and when JWM is started. But an on demand menu option to do it that was also run in the startup would be an at least reasonable solution.

I've also come to the conclusion it should have a"stock personal" menu also on popup or off the main menu that could be gui maintained like obmenu does, so I could put other things that are very often used but that are not directly on the main menu there. Different people have different programs that they use ALL the time and don't want to have to drill down to get to.
that 30 mb difference is real tempting to go after...
Have you pursued the bulleted items discussed in the recent thread?
(autostart fewer consoles, different/lighter shell, uvxrt as terminal app...)
I'm guessing you might be able to shave 17-21Mb overhead, but not 30Mb.
I do really look for things to cut back or eliminate. I mean this with ALL distros I install.

I definitely eliminate the 6 console thing. antiX should take those out by default, too. In the days of only console screens they made sense, now just one plus the X windows should be fine.

Tell me about the lighter shells, please? What options are available, pros/cons, and where would that get changed? I never knew you could just change it, LOL, and wonder about repercussions.

As for terminals, I put in a poll post. I would really like to standardize on one that both has the features I need and also runs very light.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Re 6 consoles.

Some of us use them when running antiX out of X.

urxvt (included in antiX) is supposed to be one of the lightest terminals.

antiX-14 will have an option to boot and run minimum-wm ie minimum-fluxbox, icewm, jwm. My tests show in a drop of RAM from default (icewm) at c60MB to c38MB with min-jwm
thriftee
Yes, out of X, I used to need them too. I guess you have a lot more call for that kind of thing than someone like me.

Maybe urxvt should be"THE" default antiX terminal, with it setup to run as a daemon and efficiently do a color coded root or user session. I keep seeing tidbits of how to set it up, like to fire off browser sessions, for example, and another that made it do copy/paste better, and another for colors, but I haven't seen or been able to put it all together, myself.

I ported lilyterm to SliTaz last night. Spent too much time just trying to get it installed and running and didn't get to play with it much, but it definitely was light, and looked very nice. Not sure on multiple sessions, though. And not sure if its in antiX either.

38 mb is a good number. Give me up to 10 sessions with a light terminal that can copy/paste or fire off a browser tab, a browser with about 20 tabs that integrates with that copy paste and can do message boards, search, job applications, and maybe 1 or 2 sessions (because you get surprised by the 2nd one) with youtube, and an editor again capable of copy/paste from the other apps, and I'd be happy as a pig in poop, LOL.

JWM isn't bad if its got a decent theme. Its got so many things that you are going to add anyway already built in, and is still very light anyway, even with them built in. I have to try the antiX 14 flavor of it again. I haven't liked it in the puppy distros, just because of its looks. If it could look as good as the IceWM it would be Golden, IMO.

Openbox is"cool", but it takes a good bit more memory than JWM. My old warhorses can run it, but only if everything I run it light. I really like having a start button. And I've come to the conclusion that the main menu should be on one mouse button and what they call the"client-menu" should really be the personal menu, where someone adds all the apps they use a lot that weren't already on the main menu, and it should have an option for what they currently call the client menu on it, and the default setup of each of them should have a one-click path to either of the others. Maybe I will change the antiX OpenBox setup I created to work that way. It would be super efficient from a user perspective.
skidoo
Would you really use"ash" or"sh" (bourne shell) or whatever reputedly lighter shell instead of"bash"?
I surely wouldn't. Far too many of my installed scripts are bash-specific. I didn't write 'em that way & I'm not inclined to spend a month of sundays hunting/removing their bash-isms.
Different people have different programs that they use ALL the time and don't want to have to drill down to get to.
Alt+F2 to open a gexec"runbox" is my goto.
Flyout menus"ten levels deep" seem nearly unbearable to (fat-fingered mouser) me, and the user is at the mercy of XDG categorizerators.
Which geniuses (some"committee" probably) decided leafpad should be categorized"accessories" but geany fits"office"?

More to type about terminal apps, but I'll post it to your poll thread.
rust collector
*cough* dmenu*cough*
sorry
thriftee
The different scripts answer is what I would expect. In my experience on other systems, there have always been"repercussions", of using a different program, like it or not.

What would make sense to me would be that to reduce shell memory consumption, maybe the best solution is to TRY to use fewer layers of shell calls to accomplish any given task. That was why I was bothered by the menus calling shell programs that would then figure out what program they should call and what syntax to use.

I do like the linux idea of linked files, to get it to run a different program instead. I'm guessing that would cost one or two less shell layers? That's also why it bugged me that some terminal programs use the -e and others don't, because to me, it means they aren't really completely interchangeable at that point.
thriftee
rust collector wrote:*cough* dmenu*cough*
sorry
LOL! Yes, I have seen that bound to keys coded into the menu schemes, and tried it.

So tell me what you like about it and why?

Who am I to argue with"what works"?