rust collector
One of the things I like about it... is that it is already in antix, or at least it was, for wmii.
But the thing for me, is that I don't have to fill the screen with menus to get where I want to go.
The"bad" thing about it, you have to know what you are looking for.
thriftee
I have learned that it pays to be open minded....

Wouldn't it be cool if it would pop up like that as you type, but in a pulldown menu with icons and description labels right next to each so that in a short period of time, the program names would be easy to learn? It could also be pre-generated alphabetically for speed. Maybe it could also show a few entries before and after the ones you had typed up to x configurable per pulldown in case you goof the typing a bit.

Maybe there is such a thing already?

As you might notice, in my past endeavors, one of my biggest weaknesses (but really also my biggest strength), was that because I'm so damned slow and klutzy, I always want to have the computer make up for my human flaws and give me 110% of what I asked for in hopes of more likely putting in front of me what I was thinking about, in order to get maximum overall efficiency out of whatever minimal hardware I have to work with. And if later, I give it some fast hardware, then the beauty becomes truly apparent, because the machine acts as an extension of my thoughts and hands...
skidoo
pop up like that as you type
various"finders" do exist (kupfer, launchy, synapse, gmrun, xfce-appfinder, fxdashboard)
but I doubt any of 'em fully meet your specs. Autocompletion yes... but display an icon for each of the matches? No.
Back in xfce 4.8 days, I installed xfapplet (enabled use of some gnome panel applets within xfce) plus"superbar" applet & sorta liked it.
Each of the others I tried, they seemed to add too much overhead (both in terms of RAM, and in terms of their dependent libs).
thriftee
The icon is the least important thing there. its not something *I* need, and would slow it down, but it would make it look fantastic in a distro.

I will have a look at your list. Too bad I'm not a C or C++ type programmer...

PS: kupher was too"klunky", but I can see that with some additional desktop entries that encompass all installed apps, launchy can be configured to be very close to what I was wanting. The cost is 20 mb of memory, thoughh. I am testing it on antiX 14r3 OpenBox, BTW...

Haven't tried the others yet... At least now I know what I'm looking for. I want launchy for only 5 mb, LOL!