topic title: Testers required.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
For those of you running the latest antiX-12 series as announced here:

antix-12-series-available-for-final-testing-t3712.html

Could you try and give feedback to the following.

1. Test out systemd.
Once installed, at boot menu, simply type init=/bin/systemd

2. Test out a libre kernel. (in the repos).
afab4
This is with antiX12 Full and sid repo's enabled and updated:

Stock antiX bootup time = 23 seconds.
With systemd bootup time = 21 seconds

Librekernel 3.0.4 bootup time = 25 seconds and no wireless. Ceni is unable to find my Intel WiFi Link 5100 wireless card running this kernel.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:For those of you running the latest antiX-12 series as announced here:

antix-12-series-available-for-final-testing-t3712.html

Could you try and give feedback to the following.

1. Test out systemd.
Once installed, at boot menu, simply type init=/bin/systemd

2. Test out a libre kernel. (in the repos).
anti, I was able to test systemd with an antiX-base configuration with the 3.3.5 kernel and got it working. At first, I did not have the systemd packages installed and I was getting kernel failures, but then I installed them, and using the init=/bin/systemd line, it worked.

With the current state of systemd, I really did not see any significant advantage at this point to using it, but at least it's working. As I mentioned in the thread, I recommend leaving this in an experimental state at this stage, but it DOES work with the latest kernel.
rust collector
I use the final testing full version.

As for the systemd, it boots noticeably faster, but it throws up a bunch of"errors" but it does work.

I am trying to look into the errors, and will get some times later

I will also try the libre kernel.

Edit: This is the errors I get:

Code: Select all

6.068000] systemd-uaccess[619]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/sequencer: Operation not supported
[    6.071244] systemd-uaccess[629]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/video0: Operation not supported
[    6.084280] systemd-uaccess[626]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p: Operation not supported
[    6.089473] systemd-uaccess[635]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/snd/hwC0D0: Operation not supported
[    6.098642] systemd-uaccess[628]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/dsp: Operation not supported
[    6.099741] systemd-uaccess[627]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c: Operation not supported
[    6.127963] systemd-uaccess[634]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/mixer: Operation not supported
[    6.137317] systemd-uaccess[632]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/audio: Operation not supported
[    6.139643] systemd-uaccess[633]: Failed to apply ACL on /dev/snd/controlC0: Operation not supported
brian
Hi anticapitalista,
as a Linux newbie (I don't know what requirements are necessary to not be a newbie anymore..), I might be interested in helping with testing. What is required? Must it (12) be installed on a computer dedicated ONLY to testing?

Hoping for feedback/guidance.

brian
masinick
brian wrote:Hi anticapitalista,
as a Linux newbie (I don't know what requirements are necessary to not be a newbie anymore..), I might be interested in helping with testing. What is required? Must it (12) be installed on a computer dedicated ONLY to testing?

brian
Hi Brian (from another"Brian"!)

There are not any stringent requirements for testing. Getting as many different people, with different systems, different experience levels, and different hardware is what helps us to locate different kinds of problems, and the different perspectives we all bring helps us to create a more well rounded system and experience for as many different kinds and types of users as possible.

The one thing that is needed her is to test the current software that is in development, that is, antiX M12.0"Pre-final". You can choose whichever"flavor" or variant you want, and you can run it live, install it on a hard disk, run it from a USB, or all of the above, if you so choose. There are the"full","base", and"core" variations to choose from. Depending on your experience level, you may want to run Live first, get a feel for what's available, and try the"full" version first, then if you find that easy enough to deal with, move on to others if you'd like.

We like to get a report of your system configuration. Running the command: inxi -Fxz from the command line in a terminal window and pasting the results of that from your newly installed system can be helpful, especially if you encounter any issues.

You can install on new or old hardware, with one system there, or on a system where you dual boot or multi boot; that makes no difference, and it's good to have the diversity in what we test.

Check around the forum to see what kinds of reports that others have sent in the past, and do something similar. If you have problems or questions, any of us would be glad to help you out; we all started somewhere in this process!

Thanks for offering to help out; we appreciate it!
Brian Masinick
antiX promoter, tester, and advocate
brian
masinick wrote:
brian wrote:Hi anticapitalista,

brian
Hi Brian (from another"Brian"!)

There are not any stringent requirements for testing. Getting as many different people, with different systems, different experience levels, and different hardware is what helps us to locate different kinds of problems, and the different perspectives we all bring helps us to create a more well rounded system and experience for as many different kinds and types of users as possible.

The one thing that is needed her is to test the current software that is in development, that is, antiX M12.0"Pre-final". You can choose whichever"flavor" or variant you want, and you can run it live, install it on a hard disk, run it from a USB, or all of the above, if you so choose. There are the"full","base", and"core" variations to choose from. Depending on your experience level, you may want to run Live first, get a feel for what's available, and try the"full" version first, then if you find that easy enough to deal with, move on to others if you'd like.

We like to get a report of your system configuration. Running the command: inxi -Fxz from the command line in a terminal window and pasting the results of that from your newly installed system can be helpful, especially if you encounter any issues.

You can install on new or old hardware, with one system there, or on a system where you dual boot or multi boot; that makes no difference, and it's good to have the diversity in what we test.

Check around the forum to see what kinds of reports that others have sent in the past, and do something similar. If you have problems or questions, any of us would be glad to help you out; we all started somewhere in this process!

Thanks for offering to help out; we appreciate it!
Brian Masinick
antiX promoter, tester, and advocate
Hi Brian, (nice to have another Brian around! __{{emoticon}}__ )

what you wrote in your post was pretty much what I thought, but I like to ask to make sure. For instance, I thought that testers usually had a PC that they used"only" for testing, seeing that there might be bugs or problems of some sort. I won't be dual booting (at least not with Windows anymore), but I do occasionally like trying out AntiX on different machines. I must say that it's one of the fastest I've tried (I've tried about 20-30 different distros in the last few months, just to see how they perform.).

Still, many things are still new to me. But the gratification of learning to do things correctly to get things working well, is great.
The command you mentioned, inxi, was new to me.
At the moment, I'm writing from my oldest PC, and so I tried the inxi command, without the final"z" since I got an error for putting it. Here's the result:

System:    Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.36-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M11-686 Jayaben Desai 01 May 2011
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium III Mobile (-UP-) cache 512 KB flags (sse) bmips 1461.82 clocked at 731.500 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV100 LY [Mobility Radeon 7000] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1024x768@59.6hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI R100 (RV100 4C59) x86/MMX/SSE NO-TCL DRI2 GLX Version 1.3 Mesa 7.11.2 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH ports 1c00 18c0 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network:   Card Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller driver e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port 3040 bus-ID: 02:08.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 40.1GB (30.2% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_MP0402H 40.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 35G used: 12G (35%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 35G used: 12G (35%) fs: ext3 
           ID:swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.03GB (1%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 94 Uptime 1:30 Memory 170.5/246.8MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.95 
I have AntiX on a slightly newer machine, in the office. Works fine. (I haven't tried AntiX 12 yet, but I'll probably either use it live, or install it to the HD. As I'm also getting into making music on my PCs, I'd be especially inspired to do a full install on a third PC, if the kernel had low latency.)

Anyway, I'm having lots of fun since I discovered Linux and AntiX, and I might be able to contribute in other ways too, in the future. We'll see...

brian
masinick
The"z" option is a relatively recent addition to inxi.

Documentation: -z Adds security filters for IP addresses, Mac, and user home directory name. Default on for irc clients.
-F Show Full output for inxi. Includes all Upper Case line letters, plus -s and -n.
Does not show extra verbose options like -x -d -f -u -l -o -p -t -r unless you use that argument.
-U Auto-update script. Note: if you installed as root, you
must be root to update, otherwise user is fine.
-x Show extra data (only works with verbose or line output, not short form):
-h --help This help menu.

Try running inxi with the -U option with root access enabled, and that will upgrade inxi to the latest version, and then you will have access to the z option.

inxi -z
CPU~Dual core Intel CPU T2080 (-MCP-) clocked at Min:800.000Mhz Max:1733.000Mhz Kernel~3.3.0-7.dmz.2-liquorix-686 i686 Up~1:34 Mem~362.3/2015.2MB HDD~160.0GB(-) Procs~122 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.5
masinick
On my Debian Sid system at the moment (where I also have antiX-core and antiX-base M12.0 Pre-Final installed), I get the following results with inxi:

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: debian Kernel: 3.3.0-7.dmz.2-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.8.2 (Gtk 2.24.5) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid
Machine:   System: Gateway (portable) product: MX8738 version: 3408450R
           Mobo: Gateway model: N/A version: 72.15 Bios: Phoenix version: 72.15 date: 04/16/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel CPU T2080 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6916.32 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.org: 1.12.1.902 driver: intel tty size: 132x36 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection driver: e100 ver: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 04:08.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1600BEVS size: 160.0GB temp: 37C 
Partition: ID: / size: 19G used: 13G (71%) fs: ext3 ID: swap-1 size: 2.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 122 Uptime: 1:36 Memory: 362.9/2015.2MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.0 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5
brian
masinick wrote:The"z" option is a relatively recent addition to inxi.

Documentation: -z Adds security filters for IP addresses, Mac, and user home directory name. Default on for irc clients.
-F Show Full output for inxi. Includes all Upper Case line letters, plus -s and -n.
Does not show extra verbose options like -x -d -f -u -l -o -p -t -r unless you use that argument.
-U Auto-update script. Note: if you installed as root, you
must be root to update, otherwise user is fine.
-x Show extra data (only works with verbose or line output, not short form):
-h --help This help menu.

Try running inxi with the -U option with root access enabled, and that will upgrade inxi to the latest version, and then you will have access to the z option.

inxi -z
CPU~Dual core Intel CPU T2080 (-MCP-) clocked at Min:800.000Mhz Max:1733.000Mhz Kernel~3.3.0-7.dmz.2-liquorix-686 i686 Up~1:34 Mem~362.3/2015.2MB HDD~160.0GB(-) Procs~122 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.5
Just an update: I installed AntiX 12 (full) on this (other) desktop! Installed without a hitch. --Well, except one: I use an Italian keyboard, so I selected"it." But it installed an English set-up. So I went into /etc/default/keyboard and changed"us" to"it" and rebooted. Now everything's good to go. I did the updates and all's well! __{{emoticon}}__

I can also do the inxi -Fxz. Here's what I got:

System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.0) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-full EdelweiƟpiraten 26 May 2012
Machine:   System: CdcPointSpa product: P4M800PRO-M version: 1.0
           Mobo: ECS model: P4M800PRO-M version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: 080012 date: 08/14/2006
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6120.92 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 3060.463 MHz 2: 3060.463 MHz
Graphics:  Card: VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.12.1.902 drivers: openchrome (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card: VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver: snd_via82xx port: ee00 bus-ID: 00:11.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver: 8139too ver: 0.9.28 port: e800 bus-ID: 00:0b.0
           IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (3.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_SP0842N size: 80.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 72G used: 2.7G (4%) fs: ext3 ID: swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 30.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 91 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 186.7/977.1MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5 
__{{emoticon}}__

(the other) brian
masinick
Cool, and that is good information. The fact that you could switch to an Italian-based keyboard is good; the fact that, as far as you know, you attempted to select one from the start, but it did not initially get configured that way is a source of concern and a potential defect.

Do as much testing as you can in that area; I am sure anti would like to improve any inconsistencies that you find, assuming we can reproduce them and locate the cause of the issues.

Thanks for getting started; much appreciated!
brian
masinick wrote:Cool, and that is good information. The fact that you could switch to an Italian-based keyboard is good; the fact that, as far as you know, you attempted to select one from the start, but it did not initially get configured that way is a source of concern and a potential defect.

Do as much testing as you can in that area; I am sure anti would like to improve any inconsistencies that you find, assuming we can reproduce them and locate the cause of the issues.

Thanks for getting started; much appreciated!
No problem. (I was able to solve it because it happened on M11, too, and I wrote down the solution. __{{emoticon}}__ )

BTW: I'd like to install apps like Jack and Audacity and some virtual synths, but I see nothing in the repositories. Am I missing something?

brian
anticapitalista
Site Admin
brian - did you do a refresh/reload or whatever it is called in synaptic? or apt-get update the apt-get install jackd

Oh and feel free to help out in any way you can. Do you speak Italian?
brian
anticapitalista wrote:brian - did you do a refresh/reload or whatever it is called in synaptic? or apt-get update the apt-get install jackd

Oh and feel free to help out in any way you can. Do you speak Italian?
Yes, I did a reload. Only 3 results for"jack." No QJackCtl, Jackd, etc.. Same for Audacity. (There are others I'd like to use, and they were all in the repos of M11.)

I can speak Italian well, although I'm from the US. But I live here in Italy with my Italian wife. I might be able to help with translations, although the grammar retouches would have to be done by a mothertongue..

brian
afab4
brian wrote: Yes, I did a reload. Only 3 results for"jack." No QJackCtl, Jackd, etc.. Same for Audacity. (There are others I'd like to use, and they were all in the repos of M11.)

brian
Brian,
Audacity is in the Sid repo. I have it installed on my box.
Don't know about the others.