topic title: Testers required.
masinick
apt-get update is the command that should be run to refresh the package cache (from root).
Then apt-cache search can be used, followed by the name of the package you want to search for. Of course, you can use synaptic too.
brian
I found both the Audacity packages and various Jackd/QJackCtl packages in Synaptic this morning! Thanks! (I'll try them out today and see how low I can get the latency..)

Side question: I notice that the default screen resolution is higher than this PC was used to running. Will that slow down the machine performance? Or running at 70Hz rather than 60Hz?
Just curious...

Thanks again!
brian
masinick
brian wrote:I found both the Audacity packages and various Jackd/QJackCtl packages in Synaptic this morning! Thanks! (I'll try them out today and see how low I can get the latency..)

Side question: I notice that the default screen resolution is higher than this PC was used to running. Will that slow down the machine performance? Or running at 70Hz rather than 60Hz?
Just curious...
Thanks again!
brian
I am not an expert on the topic of graphics performance. I do not know, for example, whether your particular graphics card uses system memory or its own on board memory to achieve its performance, but unless you are really tight on usable memory, running at 70 MHz instead of 60 MHz should not pose an overall system performance penalty, but it should provide significantly better display resolution, so I'd use it, if it is available, and only back down if you run into issues. I've used 70 MHz display resolutions in the past with systems containing as little as 256 MB of memory and I have not noticed any serious performance issues, but I did experience a much nicer visual display.
brian
masinick wrote: I am not an expert on the topic of graphics performance. I do not know, for example, whether your particular graphics card uses system memory or its own on board memory to achieve its performance, but unless you are really tight on usable memory, running at 70 MHz instead of 60 MHz should not pose an overall system performance penalty, but it should provide significantly better display resolution, so I'd use it, if it is available, and only back down if you run into issues. I've used 70 MHz display resolutions in the past with systems containing as little as 256 MB of memory and I have not noticed any serious performance issues, but I did experience a much nicer visual display.
Ok; sounds good.

I was updating my office PC (runs M11) this morning, and I noticed these lines:

Code: Select all

update-initramfs: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-1-mepis-smp has been altered.
update-initramfs: Cannot update. Override with -t option.
Is this important?

brian
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It is important to finish the update as you may find that you cannot boot __{{emoticon}}__

In a root terminal do this:

Code: Select all

update-initramfs -k all -u -t
-k all means upgrade all kernels
-u means upgrade
-t to 'force' the upgrade (not sure why this happens, but it does occassionally).
rust collector
Humm, The systemd did work, but after an update/upgrade, it had some problems. It still did boot, but it took ages (a minute or two).
It does work on the 3.4.1 kernel, but I have not upgraded it since installing the kernel.

My feeling is that systemd will be nice after someone smarter than me has made sure it works as it should, but I am not sure I will use it right now.

Can I ask... What is the reason for the libre kernel? does it do anything different than others? Just curious...
brian
Thank you anticapitalista.
I recently rebooted but without doing what you said. I didn't have any boot problems. I suppose that old adage is true here:"if it's not broken, don't fix it." __{{emoticon}}__

But one thing that continues to baffle me (on M11) is external file mounting. I just tried connecting an SD card, and although it seems to have mounted (blue light on), I can't find it anywhere. Not even listed in the Control Center. I did the"lsusb" and seemed to be in the list, but I never know what to do from there.
(I noticed a new"usb button" on the new 12 version, so when I get a chance I'll try it. (Can't here in the office, only M11.)

On a better note, I was able to transfer files from a Windows box here in the office, no problem. Beautiful! __{{emoticon}}__

brian
rust collector
I have to say that mounting things is the most annoying thing I have found with antix.
It is no big problem, but still, when I plug something in, it is because I want to use it, so I would like it to be automounted.
(but this is my personal wiew, and situation)

IIrc, if you go to antixcc, discs, mount connected devices, add the unit you want connected in the box, and it should work.

I believe the m12 usb-button is just to unmount?
brian
rust collector wrote:I have to say that mounting things is the most annoying thing I have found with antix.
It is no big problem, but still, when I plug something in, it is because I want to use it, so I would like it to be automounted.
(but this is my personal wiew, and situation)

IIrc, if you go to antixcc, discs, mount connected devices, add the unit you want connected in the box, and it should work.

I believe the m12 usb-button is just to unmount?
I wonder why you couldn't just make it so that when a USB device is mounted, it asks for your user password, and then auto-mounts? It sure would make things faster! (And as an ex-Windows user (like so many of us), we are used to"automatic" things. Patience is not much of a virtue anymore, unfortunately. But, entering your password in order for the file manager to auto-mount seems like a good option, no?)

brian
brian
Also with regard to the M11 version, I'm noticing that many of the repository packages get"hit" but not downloaded. Do I have the right repos set up? Are these ones old?

Thanks.

brian
masinick
brian wrote:Also with regard to the M11 version, I'm noticing that many of the repository packages get"hit" but not downloaded. Do I have the right repos set up? Are these ones old?

Thanks.

brian
Show us the list of repositories. Could be that one or two are either temporarily unavailable or being updated; it could be that something is wrong, so there may be a few variables. Occasionally the repository archives that I use give me a checksum error or aren't accessible. It does happen, but it usually gets resolved. If not, there are all kinds of repository archive mirrors all around the world. It is rare when there aren't usable archives within the overall Debian network.
brian
masinick wrote:
brian wrote:Also with regard to the M11 version, I'm noticing that many of the repository packages get"hit" but not downloaded. Do I have the right repos set up? Are these ones old?

Thanks.

brian
Show us the list of repositories. Could be that one or two are either temporarily unavailable or being updated; it could be that something is wrong, so there may be a few variables. Occasionally the repository archives that I use give me a checksum error or aren't accessible. It does happen, but it usually gets resolved. If not, there are all kinds of repository archive mirrors all around the world. It is rare when there aren't usable archives within the overall Debian network.
Now I'm at my 12 version PC, which also gives a lot of"hit" and"failed" responses when reloading. There are 4 repos on this PC: daveserver.info, debs.slavino.sk, ftp.gr.debian.org/debian, security.debian.org. The M11 PC uses liquorix, liquorix.be (I think) and 2 others I can't remember.

brian
masinick
Brian, I had a few repo failures today, so it's not you; something is getting updated. It'll calm down. But if you run the apt-get update, followed by apt-get install <package-list> or apt-get dist-upgrade, it ought to work; it did for me today, in spite of a few messages. But if not, just follow up in 12-72 hours and all should be well.
brian
masinick wrote:Brian, I had a few repo failures today, so it's not you; something is getting updated. It'll calm down. But if you run the apt-get update, followed by apt-get install <package-list> or apt-get dist-upgrade, it ought to work; it did for me today, in spite of a few messages. But if not, just follow up in 12-72 hours and all should be well.
Good to know it's not just me.. __{{emoticon}}__

It's still problematic today; I couldn't update all the packages suggested in synaptic. I'll try to update again on Monday.

brian
rayburn
Just installed M12 Final on an old laptop. I had M11 installed before and managed to get wifi working after installing the usb Realtek driver from the Realtek site. So I decided to upgrade to M12 and it discovered my usb wireless chip, (the M11 installation did not discover it until I manually installed the driver). However, whenever I try and connect using Ceni or Wicd it fails to connect to the network. Previously, in M11, I connected immediately using Ceni. I have reinstalled M12 and retried to no effect.

Can anyone help with this problem please?