afab4
anticapitalista wrote:Will do.

Maybe afab4 has the same issue.
I tried the suggestions in the previous posts and still couldn't get antiX to boot to a graphical screen.
Then I got the brilliant idea to use the cli-installer to do a full install to my hda4 partition and see if I could get it to boot up.
Well, when I got to where it asked me if I wanted to install grub to my MBR I said no as I prefer to modify my menu.lst on hda1 to boot my partitions.
At this point, I got a multitude of disk access errors and my hard drive started clicking.....not a good sign.
Shut the laptop down and tried booting an older antiX M11 CD with no luck.
Meanwhile the hard drive is clicking and clunking.
Finally got a partedmagic CD to boot but it couldn't locate any hard drive to repair.
Pulled the hard drive and I can boot partedmagic into ram OK.
Looks like I am shopping for a hard drive.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
afab2, try running antiX toram as well. Just type toram at boot/menu. Then we'll seee if it is just the harddrive or also a problem with antiX.
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:afab2, try running antiX toram as well. Just type toram at boot/menu. Then we'll seee if it is just the harddrive or also a problem with antiX.
At this time I am posting running live with no hard drive in my laptop. This is using the live CD from the ISO that was available just prior to the current one. Using the cheatcode with xorg menu selection
I have plenty of ram to work with so not having a swap partition doesn't seem to be an issue.
The hard drive is no longer recognized by the bios and when I plug it in it just clicks and pops.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It seems your hard drive is kaput.
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:It seems your hard drive is kaput.
Ja!

Have a new 80GB WD on the way.
This has given me a chance to really see what an impressive piece of work the antiX live CD is.
I plugged in my USB flash drive which has all my files backed up on it and changed the background, conky, all of my Iceape bookmarks and set up my e-mail accounts. Now as long as I don't shut down, I am good to go.
Now I should figure out how to do the persistance option using a flash drive or just remaster this ISO with my settings.
gnomic
Live from base iso 686 12 April. Have booted in RAM with toram. Now I want to use the optical drive. But alas this doesn't seem to be possible. Ideally imho after booting into RAM the CD drive is made available, the boot disk ejected - see for example Partition Magic - or at any rate the disk can be ejected by hitting the button on the drive, see the Puppies. However in antiX the disk doesn't want to leave afaict. The user has no show. Root finds that the disk is busy.

demo@antiX1:~$ umount /cdrom
umount: /cdrom is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
demo@antiX1:~$ su -
Password:
root@antiX1:~# umount /cdrom
umount: /cdrom: device is busy.
(In some cases useful info about processes that use
the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

Some mistake on my part here, or room for an improvement? For me, part of the point to running in RAM is to be able to use the optical drive, a handy feature of Puppy for example which enables burning a freshly downloaded iso.

Info on this machine btw. Dell Latitude D610 laptop.

System: Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M11-base-686 Jayaben Desai 12 April 2011
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache 2048 KB flags (nx sse sse2) bmips 1596.59 clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card ATI M22 [Mobility Radeon X300] X.Org 1.9.5 Res: 1400x1050@60.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A
Audio: Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports ed00 ec40 BusID: 00:1e.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card-1 Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3 v: 3.102 BusID: 02:00.0
Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection driver ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq BusID: 03:03.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 60.0GB (-) 1: /dev/sda HTS548060M9AT00 60.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 16M used: 100K (1%) fs: rootfs
Info: Processes 83 Uptime 24 min Memory 153.0/1009.0MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23

Currently the hard disk has no partition table/no OS.
McX
Hi,
The cd I made with antiX M11-base doesn't boot in my laptop. I burnt it at the lower speed 8x and in TAO (track at once).
I thought you could have some idea about why this can happen.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
DAO is better. What message does it give?
McX
Any messages, just the screen stay black and the cd spining. I'll make a new cd.
afab4
I had a chance to test the newest full ISO again this morning. After toasting my hard drive I had to download and burn a new ISO.
No matter what i do, it will not boot my nVidia card to a graphical screen. Running startX from root tells me there is no NV or Nouveau driver available.
Looking at my xorg.conf it tells me that I should be using the NV driver.
is there simply no NV driver included in the newest ISO?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hmm
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
is there, but not
xserver-xorg-video-nv.

Can you install xserver-xorg-video-nv from init3?

It appears to be no longer included in wheezy/testing.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Nor in unstable.

Try booting the add cheats option and type drvr=vesa (Maybe also set your vga eg vga=788)

Have you tried
antiX-icewm-vesa-lowRAM option?
rokytnji
We have so many threads I posted this in wrong section. Any hows

I was getting a boot error message in both kernels 2.6.38 and 2.6.32 that said:

Code: Select all

Tue Apr 19 16:33:00 2011: Loading cpufreq kernel modules...WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf line 6: ignoring bad line starting with 'fb'
Tue Apr 19 16:33:01 2011: WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf line 6: ignoring bad line starting with 'fb'
original /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf

# This file blacklists the framebuffer drivers.

blacklist arkfb
blacklist aty128fb
blacklist atyfb
fb
blacklist cirrusfb
blacklist cyber2000fb
blacklist gx1fb
blacklist gxfb
blacklist lxfb
blacklist kyrofb
blacklist matroxfb_base
blacklist mb862xxfb
blacklist neofb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist pm2fb
blacklist pm3fb
blacklist s3fb
blacklist savagefb
blacklist sisfb
blacklist tdfxfb
blacklist tridentfb
blacklist viafb
blacklist vt8623fb
so I edited it to

# This file blacklists the framebuffer drivers.

blacklist arkfb
blacklist aty128fb
blacklist atyfb
blacklist cirrusfb
blacklist cyber2000fb
blacklist gx1fb
blacklist gxfb
blacklist lxfb
blacklist kyrofb
blacklist matroxfb_base
blacklist mb862xxfb
blacklist neofb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist pm2fb
blacklist pm3fb
blacklist s3fb
blacklist savagefb
blacklist sisfb
blacklist tdfxfb
blacklist tridentfb
blacklist viafb
blacklist vt8623fb
which cleaned up that error message at boot. Just in case anybody else gets it.
Cuttlefish
Yeah roky. I had that frame buffer thing too. I commented it out (#), and haven't had a problem with it since. I glad you posted because I wasn't sure if I had done something detrimental.

I also had a problem with the wallpaper not sticking at reboot or start up occasionally. anti gave me the solution awhile ago.

post19191.html?hilit=! wallpaper#p19191
See the 12th post. (from anti)

Dave
afab4
anticapitalista wrote:
Try booting the add cheats option and type drvr=vesa (Maybe also set your vga eg vga=788)

Have you tried
antiX-icewm-vesa-lowRAM option?
Tried the antiX-icewm-vesa-lowRAM option with no luck.
Then tried the add cheats with drvr=vesa vga=791 and it booted to a graphical screen 1280x1064 which apparently is the highest resolution vesa will support.
Thanks for your help. Once I get my hard drive and install to it I can run sgfxi to upgrade to nvidia 173.14.28 driver.
It would sure be simpler though if the NV driver was in this ISO.