SamK
In MX-14, mounting Samba shares via the kernel feature using Thunar:
  • Shares requiring no authenicattion, (e.g. guest) mount successfully
  • Shares requiring authenicattion, (e.g. homes) fail to mount
Credentials are not requested and an error message is produced indicating failure to mount a Windows share.

Does the kernel method support authenticated shares? Perhaps a compile time option?

In MX-14, mounting Samba shares via Connectshares:
  • Shares requiring no authenicattion, (e.g. guest) mount successfully
  • Shares requiring authenicattion, (e.g. homes) mount successfully
Last edited by SamK on 29 Jan 2014, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
dolphin_oracle
On my MX Beta 1 VM -

mounting an authentication share - works from thunar (gvfs-backends). works from connectshares (without cifs-utils), but with xfce error messages that tell you the mount failed but connectshares does ask for the user/password, and the connection does go through. This is with prompting for a user/pass.

with auto user/pass, no error message.

I've never made a mount command work from the cli manually without cifs-utils.
SamK
dolphin_oracle wrote:On my MX Beta 1 VM -

mounting an authentication share - works from thunar (gvfs-backends).
[...]
I've never made a mount command work from the cli manually without cifs-utils.
I've amended my post to indicate that the failure was obtained via Thunar rather than from the command line. The system was running beta1 live. The failure is consistent here, browsing the network via Thunar authenticated shares cannot be mounted. A prompt for credentials is not received, only an error message.
dolphin_oracle
i can actually mount windows shares that require authenication with Thunar in a stock MX-14 B1. This is the dialog that opens. I did verify that cifs-utils is not installed.

SamK
The following two screen shots are of shares from the same server.
Both use the same authentication credentials.
The one for homes never produces a credentials dialogue
The one for technical always produces the name/password dialogue

In both cases cifs-utils is not installed.
Connectshares has not been run.
The network browse facility in Thunar has been used to find the shares and attempt to mount them.

Failed homes share
Failed homes share

Successful, share requiring authentication
Successful, share requiring authentication
dolphin_oracle
interesting...I actually don't use the homes setup, so I wonder whats different.
Dave
The net bios name"castle1" rather than the ipv4 address.... that would seem to be the difference.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Mounting_samba_shares_from_a_unix_client"
linktext was:"http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Mountin ... nix_client"
====================================

Also as best as I know thunar (and other fm) automatically use the local username when trying to log in to the $homes function. If the local username does not exist on the remote server it may not prompt for the password as the share does not exist on the server. This should be able to be specified for another user by forming the smb line similar to smb://user@host.domain/. As D.O. Is specifying another share apart from home it is no longer assumed that the username is the same as the local user.

Not sure if that helps, I am not very fluent in the new samba stuff. I have set up a few servers using it but mostly still with the older forms of configuration.
SamK
Dave wrote:The net bios name"castle1" rather than the ipv4 address.... that would seem to be the difference.
[...]
Also as best as I know thunar (and other fm) automatically use the local username when trying to log in to the $homes function. If the local username does not exist on the remote server it may not prompt for the password as the share does not exist on the server. This should be able to be specified for another user by forming the smb line similar to smb://user@host.domain/.
Yes, that possibility also ocurred to me. It was tested in that way and produced identical failure results.

The reason the screen shots show a name rather than an IP address is to indicate it is the way that Thunar finds and reports the server.

To clarify further...
The two screen shots are of shares from the same server.
Both use the same authentication credentials.
The one for homes never produces a credentials dialogue.
The one for technical always produces the name/password dialogue.

The system was booted using Beta1 live.
A new user was created (that is valid on the Samba server).
Log-out and Log-in as new user.

In Thunar
Browse network and attempt to mount shares found.
Results=as per previous screen shots.

In Thunar
Enter the share addresses directly in the form smb://ipaddress/share.
Results=identical to previous screen shots.