anticapitalista
Site Admin
Connectshares will probably be offered as a package and not included on the cd due to space restrictions. Tell me though since you know the app much better than I do, what is the minimum needed for connectshares to work? What other apps are needed?

Thanks,
dolphin_oracle
there is a depends list in the comments of connectshares.sh.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
cat, dialog, findshares, mktemp, rm is all it needs to run.

Does it work in beta1? I removed some samba cifs-utils stuff.

Edit: I read the wrong list. cifs-utils will be put back into beta2.
dolphin_oracle
oddly, it does work...but I can't tell you why. it should need cifs-utils.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Maybe cifs-utils is in beta1?
dolphin_oracle
its not listed as installed (checked synaptic). I'll be buggered if I can figure out how connectshares is working at all. The command that is built doesn't seem to specify cifs or smb anywhere.

bottom line, using mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt/point in mx doesn't work (does work in antix with cifs-utils installed). connectshares does, but I can't tell you why.
fatmac
Maybe see if ldd will shed some light.
sudo ldd /path-to-connectshares
dolphin_oracle
I removed all gvfs components and libsmb components, and it still works. Beats me how.
SamK
OFF TOPIC
I was wondering about the reason for gvfs and friends in antiX. What app(s) are they dependencies of? The only one I was aware of that used gvfs was Gigolo and that was removed in the latest release.

According to apt-cache policy these are installed in 13.2:
gvfs-libs
gvfs-common
gvfs-daemons
gvfs
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:...what is the minimum needed for connectshares to work? What other apps are needed?
dolphin_oracle wrote:...there is a depends list in the comments of connectshares.sh.
To avoid cluttering the topic I will send information to you both privately.
dolphin_oracle
I think the difference is the kernel.

antix uses a different kernel. mx's kernel is a later version.

I verified this by removing cifs-utils from antix, rebooted. Tested by running connectshares, this failed as expected. I updated to the 3.11-antix.1-486-smp kernel available in the antix repo, and now connectshares works in antix without cifs-utils. MX uses a 3.12 kernel.

I also tried the converse, setting up the antix 3.7-antix.5-486-smp kernel in MX. It lost the ability to use connectshares without cifs-utils.

Apparently the new kernel can load the cifs.ko filesystem module without cifs-util's help. By design or by accident, I don't know.
rokytnji
dolphin_oracle wrote:I think the difference is the kernel.

antix uses a different kernel. mx's kernel is a later version.

I verified this by removing cifs-utils from antix, rebooted. Tested by running connectshares, this failed as expected. I updated to the 3.11-antix.1-486-smp kernel available in the antix repo, and now connectshares works in antix without cifs-utils. MX uses a 3.12 kernel.

I also tried the converse, setting up the antix 3.7-antix.5-486-smp kernel in MX. It lost the ability to use connectshares without cifs-utils.

Apparently the new kernel can load the cifs.ko filesystem module without cifs-util's help. By design or by accident, I don't know.

You amaze me D.O.
dolphin_oracle
SamK wrote:OFF TOPIC
I was wondering about the reason for gvfs and friends in antiX. What app(s) are they dependencies of? The only one I was aware of that used gvfs was Gigolo and that was removed in the latest release.

According to apt-cache policy these are installed in 13.2:
gvfs-libs
gvfs-common
gvfs-daemons
gvfs

Looks like gjots and system-config-printer.
dolphin_oracle
thanks roky. I've got an pretty broken mx install as a result of my playing, but hey, no worries!
SamK
dolphin_oracle wrote:I think the difference is the kernel.
[...]
I updated to the 3.11-antix.1-486-smp kernel available in the antix repo, and now connectshares works in antix without cifs-utils. MX uses a 3.12 kernel.
Well found.

After some further tests, the reported issue of Connectshares being unable to mount shares, when specified using
the server name, is a product of using the newer kernel method.
It works OK when an IP address is specified but fails when a name is specified.

Does support for mounting via names need to be compiled in?
Where can the reference info for this kernel option be viewed?

Installing cifs-utils enables either the name or IP address to be used successfully with the newer and previous kernels.