topic title: Jwm on Antix
Hannes Worst
Today, I've been trying out jwm on AntiX. My current setup reminds me of something from the past, but I can't yet put my finger on it. __{{emoticon}}__

secipolla
Good one. JWM is very very light and nice idea to mimic GNOME 2. I tried it once when I was testing antiX-core. Only one needs to get the grip on how to edit its menus and other appearance settings (old style text editing but it's very configurable).
Hannes Worst
Thanks. It's a nice puzzle during my holydays. Jwm is really good for a noob like me, is just needs common sense to set it up. The only thing I have to figure out is how I can get the icons in the menu right. At the moment they are a kind of blurry white spots. But I will get there.

Holiday-greetings to everyone!
secipolla
Well, I guess the reference on JWM would be Puppy Linux (and its forum).

So it's holiday in NL? Have a good time then.

-edit- and you know? This may become a new trend. First these light WMs mimicked Windows and now people may want to mimic the 'old' and familiar GNOME 2 style.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If anyone can set up a nice antiX-jwm default, with or without rox-pinboard (following the antiX-icewm/fluxbox set up ie the same menu structure), please post the .jwmrc file.
Hannes Worst
Anti,

I made a jwmrc in Antix menustyle. I tried to attach it to this post, but the extension wasn't allowed as attachment on this forum. __{{emoticon}}__ How should I proceed?
rokytnji
__{{emoticon}}__ Doh, I just realized .xml is the same as a zip file. I am kinda toasted barbecuing and drinking. Just use the .zip format Hannes and and it will upload to the forum for sure instead of .xml.

Edit: Shoot. __{{emoticon}}__ where's my manners ,(pops another beer), nice screenshot there Hannes. __{{emoticon}}__
Hannes Worst
Okay.

here we go. Rokytnji, thanks for the guidline. It worked! __{{emoticon}}__

While I was at it, in my holidays, I gave it a try. You will find my jwmrc as an attachment. A few remarks: I left out the icons, because jwm doesn't show them well in Debian. They are just blurry white spots. Also there are a few applications in the menu (like opera) that I added to my Antix install. In my opinion one doesn't gain much with jwm in comparisson to Icewm. It would be a preference to have your appications-menus generated automatically as fluxbox and icewm do in AntiX. But I do'nt know how to write such a script.
The attached jwmrc starts rox-pinboard, thunar-daemon, feh to set the background, xscreensaver, conky and the default antix startup-sound.

Rokytnji enjoy the Barbecue. I guess the weather overthere is a lot better then in my place. Here the weather is especially suited for funerals. The more reason to spend my days behind the computer, covered with dust and spiders and bats flying all around. __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Just to inform anyone who downloads the zip. I tried unzipping with Xarchiver . Format not recognized. Then I renamed it from a .zip to .xml. Then I opened it with Geany or Leafpad OK.

Tricky-Dickey Hannes __{{emoticon}}__
buttcoffee
You could try using menumaker
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://menumaker.sourceforge.net/"
linktext was:"http://menumaker.sourceforge.net/"
====================================
to generate your menus

edit: nevermind, menumaker doesn't work with jwm. In jwm do you have to install a seperate panel like bmpanel or tint2 or one of the other ones?

Simutrans is a good game __{{emoticon}}__
Hannes Worst
Hannes Worst
Buttcoffee,

you could use seperate panels in JWM, but the jwmrc I posted contains a systemtray with a clock. In jwm there's just one configurationfile (.jwmrc) where everything is defined: the menu, the backgroundpicture, the systemtray and the programs at startup.

If you want to give my jwm-setup a try, just rename Antix-jwmrc to .jwmrc, put it in your home directory and install jwm from the repo's. It will give you the systemtray as you see in the screenshot I posted. You might have to add jwm tot your .xinitrc and slim.conf though.
buttcoffee
Thanks. I'll have to look at it after I stop messing around with Pekwm and school work. __{{emoticon}}__
SamK
@ Hannes Worst: You beat me to the punch on this one. I had intended to attempt this before now, but just have too many competing priorities. I'll offer mine also in case anyone is interested. It is based on antiX-M11 and incorporates a few snippets from your config. I hope you don't see this as an attempt to be competitive.

anticapitalista wrote:If anyone can set up a nice antiX-jwm default, with or without rox-pinboard (following the antiX-icewm/fluxbox set up ie the same menu structure), please post the .jwmrc file.
In my opinion, JWM will make a fine addition to antiX. It is a good choice for users wanting a traditional desktop but have to balance the restrictions of using low spec (older) hardware. In this respect, it is slightly more lightweight and responsive than IceWM.

Through previous use of JWM, I have found that when all options are handled by a single file (.jwmrc) it can become quite lengthy and daunting to read. My approach is to make it easier to read and understand by splitting .jwmrc into sub-files to keep it more managable. The startup file is a hidden file, kept in the root of the user home directory, all others are kept in a hidden directory in the user home directory. For example:

Code: Select all

.jwmrc                  (the startup file)
.jwm/menu-antix         (the antiX specific backbone menu)
.jwm/menu-applications  (the user installed program packages menu)
.jwm/keys               (shortcut key bindings)
.jwm/preferences        (uncategorized global choices)
.jwm/theme              (the applied visual style)
.jwm/tray               (the panel)
These group the higher level functions in a logical manner and are handled by directing .jwmrc and .jwm/menu-antix to include them. The result is a structure that is similar to IceWM in antiX.

Unzipping the attached file in the user home directory should produce the required file structure.

Configuration Options Implemented.
* A theme based on clearlooks is installed by default; an unconfigured theme is also included.
* Tray level set so a maximized application window does not cover the tray
* A single Tasklist button in the tray does not fill the entire tray length
* Popup boxes are enabled for tray buttons and tasklist buttons in the tray
* A tray button is included for removing USB drives
* CPU load average and clock sized to optimize available space in the tray
* Virtual desktops are prevented from displaying in the tray to optimize available space
* Logout presents the usual antiX options

Configuration Options Desired.
* Is there a lightweight network activity monitor/settings app that can be displayed in the panel next to the CPU load average app?

Requiring Attention.
These items will probably need input/resolutions from the antiX devs as they may be antiX matters rather than JWM matters.

* Logout-->Restart JWM
Following restart opaque box displayed on upper LHS of screen.
Disabling Conky resolves the issue.

* Logout-->Logout
Clicking the Logout button has no effect.
Clicking the Restart or Shutdown buttons work as expected.
Other button functions not tested as they are not used here.

* Tools-->Programming-->TkWish8.4
This produces an error message"Failed to execute child process 'wish 8.4' No such file or directory". Is this now a redundant choice?

* Desktop-->JWM-->JWM Control Center
* Desktop-->JWM-->Update Menu (Auto)
The underlying functions do not yet exist for JWM. The menu entries mimic the current entries in an IceWM menu.
Hannes Worst
SamK,

It's great what you did with jwm for AntiX. The way you devided the jwmrc into different subscripts Antix-style is really great. As you say, the logout button on exitantix.sh doesn't work for jwm. Thats why I added the logout option to the jwm-menu. By the way, I tried out jwm on my Slackware install also. There the icons do'nt work properly either. It's not only a Debian issue.

Congratulations with your jwm-script. It's really a great improvement
Dave
Hannes Worst, seeing how you are able to add the logout command to the menu I would say that you do know the logout command. Therefor it is easy to make exitantix.sh logout of jwm by pressing logout.

simply put, in terminal
type: gksu leafpad /usr/local/bin/logouthelper.sh
press: enter
add: your logout command to the bottom of the script

Save and try, if it is the right logout command, it should now logout using the logout button i exitantix.sh