topic title: Jwm on Antix
Dave
Great! Very glad to hear it, would really love to see a jwm version of antix. Will add the theme-update script to the menu-jwm-antix deb in the repositories. When you are done with the themes and building the configuration to antiXize jwm, I would love to package them all up so they would be available to anyone easily.
SamK
SamK
Dave wrote:When you are done with the themes and building the configuration to antiXize jwm, I would love to package them all up so they would be available to anyone easily.
This is good to hear.

@Hannes Worst,
As we have completed our theme creation parts, perhaps we should also close down any other unfinished elements, then JWM can be passed on for inclusion in the best of states.

Do you have any items to close down?

A summary of ones I can think of are:
  • Currently there are are three menu entries:
    antiX-->Settings-->JWM-Themes from DamnSmallLinux
    antiX-->Settings-->JWM-Themes from Puppy Linux
    antiX-->Settings-->Themes
    The last one (Themes) is a recent addition and in my view now makes the Damn Small and Puppy entries redundant here. (Particularly as DSL is a stalled distro)

In all the versions I have posted, a button in the tray to unmount USB drives is included by default. It depends on the unplugdrive.sh script that I posted a few weeks ago. Should this be retained as a default? (Naturally I am in favour of keeping it)

To log out, ~.jwmrc refers to exitantix.sh. The script starts (and dislpays the usual antiX choices) but does not log out the user. I see this as concering exitantix.sh. Is this still the position?

Dave's menu-update, and theme-update scripts (thanks, Dave). I have not tested either of these but see you have. Unless there are any outstanding matters I am content to treat this as complete.

Is a script needed for antiX-->Desktop-->JWM-->JWM Control Center? (Equivalent to IceWM Control Center)

Is JWM to be included in the antiX Control Center to ease user editing? (Similar to Fluxbox and IceWM)

The last two of the above items might be spurious if they are included in Dave 's packing process.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Firstly, thanks to all who have contributed in this thread (and the jwm themes). jwm will be included in next version of antiX and once I upload a beta iso we can then decide on the best jwm default theme.

Answering some points raised.

1. exitantix.sh doesn't need to be edited, but logouthelper.sh does. (A simple line adding killall jwm will suffice)

2. I agree with SamK that as we will include the Themes section in the menu, then links to DSL/Puppy are redundant.

3. We'll keep the unplugdrive.sh in the tray. Any other suggestions? What about more 'desktops/workspaces'? Fluxbox/icewm have 4 default.

4. Dave's scripts work fine here.

5. I have edited the wallpaper scripts to include jwm.

6. Do we need a JWM Control Center or should we just add the files to antiXcc like with fluxbox/icewm? I prefer the latter.

7. About the themes. Should the menu font be reduced from 13 to 10? Some themes seem to have a big menu IMO. Thoughts? Same with the panel. Personally I think it should be thinner, ie set to 25 rather than the default 30. Thoughts?

8. I have made the necessary edits to the live scripts so user can boot to a default Rox-jwm desktop with the desktop=jwm cheatcode. Also user can boot to a simple jwm desktop without icons. These changes should carry over to install.

Once again, thanks for all the input.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:2... links to DSL/Puppy are redundant.
Do you prefer to not have links to other distros in the menu as a matter of principle? If so two others might be considered for removal:
antiX-->Help-->JWM-->Arch Wiki
antiX-->Help-->JWM-->JWM at Puppy Linux
anticapitalista wrote:3... What about more 'desktops/workspaces'? Fluxbox/icewm have 4 default.
When configuring JWM I had in mind users transferring from Windows (XP in particular). JWM looks quite familiar to them, however multiple workspaces are an alien concept, hence they are commented out. If the consensus is to display them by default, refer to the following point
anticapitalista wrote:6... Do we need a JWM Control Center or should we just add the files to antiXcc like with fluxbox/icewm?
As the closest WM for comparison is Ice my vote is for parity/consistency between them. Ice provides a simple means of adjusting the interface elements likely to be changed by a user via a Control Center. With a target user base of transferring XP users my preference is for simplicity, hence a similar CC for JWM.
anticapitalista wrote:7... Should the menu font be reduced from 13 to 10?
Not quite sure which you are referring to. The default (extracted from the raw jwmrc) uses FreeSans-10. Clearlooks uses FreeSans-11. Are you referring to a theme from Hannes Worst or an older theme? The most recent Clearlooks is posted here:
post22048.html for download.
anticapitalista wrote:7... Same with the panel. Personally I think it should be thinner, ie set to 25 rather than the default 30.
How about a compromise at 28? Below this size it becomes difficult for people with impaired vision. This also would make a suitable candidate for a JWM Control Center item.
anticapitalista wrote:8...user can boot to a default Rox-jwm desktop with the desktop=jwm cheatcode. Also user can boot to a simple jwm desktop without icons.
Will this also be selectable at the SLiM login screen?

Another item waiting to be closed - upon restarting JWM the conky window becomes opaque.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
1. No problems referring to other distros.
2. Good point. So maybe a jwmcc would be better after all.
3. Yes, other themes. Clearlooks is a nice default and should be the 'model' for the other themes IMO.
4. 28 is a good compromise.
5. Yes, users can select jwm with or without rox-pinboard.
6. re conky. In my tests, running live, conky doesn't play nice with jwm so it is disabled.
7. A serious issue running jwm is with the latest nvidia drivers. It crashes. Using nouveau or vesa is ok.
Hannes Worst
It seems to me, most decisions have been made here. And I agree with them. I can't comment on the font size, or the tray size, in the JWM-themes because my screen is 1400x900. This gives a somewhat deviant (stretched) representation of the windowmanager. These decisions I leave in your hands. I am inclined to say that there must be four workspaces in jwm, because it's consistent with Fluxbox an IceWM in antiX, and I perceived this consistency to be the aim in the JWM-setup for AntiX.
Dave
anticapitalista wrote:7. A serious issue running jwm is with the latest nvidia drivers. It crashes. Using nouveau or vesa is ok.
Thank you anti, I was wondering why on my one install jwm would crash the instant I open anything. It is a shame to me as the one it crashes on is my main machine, would this then be a jwm bug? Also I would say that the setup should have multiple workspaces, even though it is a foreign item, it is a huge highlight to have. I would agree the fonts in the menu are slightly large, as to conky it seams to be fine here.
DeepDayze
Dave wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:7. A serious issue running jwm is with the latest nvidia drivers. It crashes. Using nouveau or vesa is ok.
Thank you anti, I was wondering why on my one install jwm would crash the instant I open anything. It is a shame to me as the one it crashes on is my main machine, would this then be a jwm bug? Also I would say that the setup should have multiple workspaces, even though it is a foreign item, it is a huge highlight to have. I would agree the fonts in the menu are slightly large, as to conky it seams to be fine here.
Could be either a JWM bug or a bug in the nvidia driver. Anti should post a bug report on nvnews.net according to their procedures to determine if that problem is due to a bug in the driver. Likewise similar information should be reported to the jwm upstream developers to determine if there is indeed a bug. But it is possible there could be a bad interaction between jwm and the nvidia X driver.
Hannes Worst
As a remark I could say that the fonts SamK and I used are comparable with the fonts used in the fluxbox-themes (except for EveningGlow). I used Kirsten ITC -9 pts, inspired by different fluxbox-themes in AntiX. But we must choose the size that suites best for you.
rokytnji
I tried a bit to use this thread to run JWM on my AntiX 8.5 install. Edited slim.conf and .xinitrc and put a few .jwmrc and .jwm folders in /home/harry.

Kinda success but my attempt was pretty ugly. Any ways. That is not what my post is about. The big .conkyrc I run in fluxbox was ugly also but that part I kinda worked around by using one of my horizontal .conkyrc I have made. That one sits at top of Desktop and does not look so bad. It also did not get in the way of rox pinoard icons. Just mentioning this input as a alternative to not having a conky at all in .jwmrc.

anticapitalista
Site Admin
Another question for you jwm gurus.

I have implemented Dave's auto-update-jwm-menu script (like in fluxbox andicewm) and it works as it should. However, I cannot get it to auto-update without having to click on Restart jwm. Now sometimes in fluxbox this happens, and also in icewm when user is using the desktop. This is not needed when loging in and out. Chnages automatically show in the menu. With jwm, logour/login changes only show after user clicks on restart jwm again. (In jwm startup I have this line: /usr/local/bin/auto-jwm-menu.sh &)

Anyone know a fix?
Dave
anti, I do not know if this should be a permanent fix of not.
For a command line jwm restart I have found that you can issue the command"jwm -restart". If you were to place a ; on the last line in /usr/local/bin/auto-jwm-menu.sh and then add the jwm -restart & line below, it would restart jwm automatically.

EDIT:
Will add this to the deb if it is a suitable solution
Hannes Worst
AntiX-test2 with JWM (and KDE4), themed (as a tribute to Warren) to look like MEPIS. It's fast and stable. Works great, no bugs detected yet. Congratulations once again with a great release to come!