topic title: Jwm on Antix
anticapitalista
Site Admin
as Dave says, killall jwm (though it is a bit brutal). I'll make that script less brutal sometime.

Many thanks to Hannes Worst and SamK. I think it would be good to include jwm (it is tiny anyway). Do you know if there is a way to use the applications file created in fluxbox/icewm for jwm?
Hannes Worst
What I did is replace the fuxbox-syntax of the applicationsfile with jwm-syntax in leafpad through 'search and replace'. The way jwm menus are build is not much different than the way fluxbox menus are build. Maybe that could be done with a script. But I'm not skilled enough to write such a script.

B.t.w. in SamK's setup I cant get the desktop-count visible. That's a puzzle I haven't solved either.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:Do you know if there is a way to use the applications file created in fluxbox/icewm for jwm?
I based my version on the IceWM applications file as Fluxbox is not used here. As this was a one-off execise it was done manually rather than by script conversion.
SamK
Hannes Worst wrote:B.t.w. in SamK's setup I cant get the desktop-count visible. That's a puzzle I haven't solved either.
Displaying the virtual destops is commented in .jwm/tray. JWM refers to it as both Virtual Desktops and Pager depending upon in which section it appears (in my version section=file).

To display the virtual desktops in the tray (panel) change .jwm/tray as follows:
Commented Version

Code: Select all

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
   <!-- <Pager/> -->
Uncommented Version

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
   <Pager/>
SamK
I have made some modifications to my version of JWM. These should bring it even closer to the way in which IceWM is setup and also make it more familiar in use to IceWM users.

Changes:
  • 01 The startup commands have been shipped out of .jwmrc into their own file in .jwm/startup
    02 Volumeicon has been included in the startup file so it displays in the tray
    03 The button based volume control has been dropped from .jwm/tray
The modifications are inclued in the attached zip file.
Hannes Worst
In the meanwhile I took the liberty to look at Puppy Linux en 'borrow' their refresh-menu program. I addapted (stripped it) it to the antiX-style as in SamK's jwm-setup. It's not a python script as I saw with Icewm and fluxbox in antiX. It involves some files that need to be stored in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /etc/xdg. Also it requires libgnome-menu2, that can be installed from the repos . It's far from perfect, and it needs quite some more work. But it functions allready on my computer. The result is a refreshed /jwm/menu-applications file.
After installation it can be started with the command 'JWMMenuUpdater' (unfortunately only as root)

Maybe it can be of some use. Maybe someone with more knowledge on these kind of scripts (Anti, Dave? ...) can take a look at it.

Admiration and many thanks to the developers of Puppy-linux. They have many years of experience with JWM
DeepDayze
Looks very nice!

Perhaps I'll play with JWM as I used to play with FVWM95 on Slackware in the late 90s
Hannes Worst
I look like a maniac! __{{emoticon}}__ I discovered, that when you use a darker theme, the icons display much better. For instance in theme-brown:

<JWM>

<WindowStyle>
    <Font>DejaVu Sans-12:bold</Font>
    <Width>5</Width>
    <Height>22</Height>

<Active>
        <Text>white</Text>
        <Title>#222222:#777777</Title>
        <Corner>#EF9034</Corner>
        <Outline>#444444</Outline>
    </Active>

<Inactive>
        <Text>#555555</Text>
        <Title>#777777:#bbbbbb</Title>
        <Corner>#888888</Corner>
        <Outline>#bbbbbb</Outline>
    </Inactive>
</WindowStyle>

<TaskListStyle>
    <Font>DejaVu Sans-12</Font>
    <ActiveForeground>#EDEADE</ActiveForeground>
    <ActiveBackground>#888888:#000000</ActiveBackground>
    <Foreground>gray20</Foreground>
    <Background>gray80:gray40</Background>
</TaskListStyle>

<TrayStyle>
    <Background>#939191</Background>
</TrayStyle>

<ClockStyle>
    <Font>Ionic Charge-12</Font>
    <Foreground>#44512E</Foreground>
</ClockStyle>

<PagerStyle>
    <Outline>black</Outline>
    <Foreground>#CCCCCC</Foreground>
    <Background>gray40</Background>
    <ActiveForeground>gray30</ActiveForeground>
    <ActiveBackground>gray60</ActiveBackground>
</PagerStyle>

<PopupStyle>
    <Outline>gray10</Outline>
    <Foreground>gray10</Foreground>
    <Background>#A3A3A3</Background>
</PopupStyle>

<MenuStyle>
    <Foreground>#DBD4C1</Foreground>
    <Background>gray30</Background>
    <ActiveForeground>gray20</ActiveForeground>
    <ActiveBackground>#FCE08A:#AC510B</ActiveBackground>
</MenuStyle>

</JWM>
Hannes Worst
SamK,

I changed some things in your setup on my computer. First I changed the string in the .jwmrc that involves theming. I changed it into:

<Include>.jwm/jwm-theme</Include>
Next I created a directory /etc/jwm/themes and put some nice themes in there

Next I changed the lines of .jwm/menu-antix in my home folder where the settings are stated and changed them into:

<Menu label="Settings">
   <Program label="Default" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/default $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Clearlooks" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/clearlooks $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Black" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/black $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Brown" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/brown $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Cobalt" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/cobalt $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Green" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/green $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Red" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/red $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Coper" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/coper $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="White" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/white $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
</Menu>
Now I can change jwm-themes with one mouseclick.Like in Fluxbox and Icewm in Antix.

To be complete (I hope I am) I'm including the jwm-themes mentioned. They can be placed int /etc/jwm/themes
SamK
Hi Hannes Worst,
Your idea to include easy theme switching is certainly a good one. It will appeal to any user who (unlike me) chooses to use a range of themes.

I have taken the liberty of slightly modifying your idea to make it correspond more closely to the way in which IceWM operates within antiX. Hopefully this will make JWM easier to add to the distro and also to maintain once it is included.

Use of /etc/jwm
This location is created by default as part of the installation of JWM. In my view,as far as possible, it is best kept in a pristine and untouched condition as it performs a couple of functions.

In a single user environment it provides a copy of jwmrc that will be used if the one in the user home directory cannot be used. In effect it operates as a backstop to allow a working WM should other elements fail.

In a multi-user environment it provides a single point of configuration to a system administror who wants all users to use the same configuration. In such circumstances a JWM file structure will not exist in the user home directory.

In either case /etc/jwm is within what might be described as the main antiX file system, which might require the use of root privileges. It might be good to avoid such a possibility.

Alternative Location for Themes
IceWM has two potential locations for its configuration files, JWM can use similar locations.

In a single user environment the JWM file structiure within user home directory is a suitable location as follows:

.jwmrc                  (the JWM startup file)
.jwmrc/themes           (directory storing the available themes)
.jwm/keys               (shortcut key bindings)
.jwm/menu-antix         (the antiX specific backbone menu)
.jwm/menu-applications  (the user installed program packages menu)
.jwm/preferences        (uncategorized global choices)
.jwm/startup            (applications initialized at JWM startup)
.jwm/theme              (the applied visual style)
.jwm/themes-list        (a list of the range of available themes)
.jwm/tray               (the panel)
This is in fact the existing structure with the addiition of.jwm/themes and .jwm/themes-list. Hopefully this will enable the same routine that is chosen to update .jwm/menu-applications to be used to update .jwm/themes-list with the themes stored in .jwm/themes. .jwm/themes-list is included in .jwm/menu-antix and thereby continues the idea of a discrete file for each major function.

A complete structure is included in the attached zip file.

In a multi-user environment /usr/share/jwm might be used (this is similar to IceWM in antiX). This directory can hold the JWM configuration files (excluding jwmrc) in a similar manner to IceWM. It can be used in circumstances in which a single (common) JWM configuration is wanted for each user. This location also avoids any potential issues of root permissions being required.

Feedback Observations/Suggestions on Your Themes
As a work in progress these seem to be coming along fine.
  • Some of the themes do not have matching colour schemes for the window-titlebar/panel/menu. Is this what you intended?

The the text in the Cobalt theme is so dark I cannot read it.

Not sure if all the themes use fonts that are present in a stock antiX-M11. Might it might be worth using only fonts that available by default?

Some themes are seen as HTML documents rather than as plain text. Placing the <JWM> tag at the head of the file should cure that.

A minor point - the internal layout of the themes vary from theme to theme. Would you consider reformatting them using either the default or clearlooks as a guide. This way if the devs decide to include any themes they will be consistent and easier to read.

Edit SamK
Fix typos
Hannes Worst
SamK,

thanks for your response. I follow your observations about the place of the jwm-themes. On other linux forums I saw the /etc/jwm/themes directory often mentioned, but I agree the $HOME/.jwm/themes (for user-themes) and /usr/share/jwm/themes would be more consistent for the AntiX setup.

My exploration about theming is a search for the proper method of jwm-theming. That's why I appreciate your answer. Other disto's are using a theme-switcher for instance, but I believe that this method (through the menu) is more antix-like. I hope our dialog is helpfull to the developer of Antix (Anticapitalista).

The themes I included are somewhat randomly collected from the internet. I think that there must more suitable themes for Antix, using the right fonts and maybe more aesthetic colors for the cobalt theme; the themes I found deserve better naming to. Some forums have a special place reserved for JWM-themes. Maybe it would be a good opportunity to invite Antix-users in the same way to show and share their jwm-themes in time. That would be great!

They could be gathered and included in the next release of antix. I am using the black theme right now, in combination with a black background (Antix-BTB) and I am currently satisfied with it.

Again thank you and greetings!
rokytnji
In case it helps. This is a stock .jwm folder from Macpup 5.28 Beta (which I am a official tester for for runt21 developer) . It should be released sometime this coming weekend or early next week.

Dave
Hannes Worst wrote:In the meanwhile I took the liberty to look at Puppy Linux en 'borrow' their refresh-menu program. I addapted (stripped it) it to the antiX-style as in SamK's jwm-setup. It's not a python script as I saw with Icewm and fluxbox in antiX. It involves some files that need to be stored in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /etc/xdg. Also it requires libgnome-menu2, that can be installed from the repos . It's far from perfect, and it needs quite some more work. But it functions allready on my computer. The result is a refreshed /jwm/menu-applications file.
After installation it can be started with the command 'JWMMenuUpdater' (unfortunately only as root)

Maybe it can be of some use. Maybe someone with more knowledge on these kind of scripts (Anti, Dave? ...) can take a look at it.

Admiration and many thanks to the developers of Puppy-linux. They have many years of experience with JWM
Will look into this if you have not already solved the issue, it looks to me that it would be alot better to use the menu script that antiX has for fluxbox and icewm. Will edit this for you as soon as I figure out the menu styling / become more familiar with jwm. Would have liked to help a while back, but at initial install jwm would run for about 5 secconds then crash. Anyways solved now and I will take a look at the menu for you, will post back and quite possibly it will be in the repository under menu-jwm-antix.

PS. I really like the new theme that you have for jwm, it made me rethink the potential of this window manager.

EDIT
All finished in the repository,
add ( deb
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.daveserver.info/antiX/debs/"
linktext was:"http://www.daveserver.info/antiX/debs/"
====================================
wheezy main ) to /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get -f install menu-jwm-antix

or download

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.daveserver.info/antiX/debs/menu-jwm-antix_1.5.0_all.deb"
linktext was:"http://www.daveserver.info/antiX/debs/m ... .0_all.deb"
====================================

cd Downloads
su and password
dpkg -i menu-jwm-antix_1.5.0_all.deb

when either install is finished
auto-jwm-menu.sh
restart jwm

view new menu, then add this line to your jwm menu file
<Program label="Auto Update Menu">auto-jwm-menu.sh</Program>
save and restart

All should work the same as the current antix setups
Dave
Hannes Worst wrote:SamK,

I changed some things in your setup on my computer. First I changed the string in the .jwmrc that involves theming. I changed it into:

<Include>.jwm/jwm-theme</Include>
Next I created a directory /etc/jwm/themes and put some nice themes in there

Next I changed the lines of .jwm/menu-antix in my home folder where the settings are stated and changed them into:

<Menu label="Settings">
   <Program label="Default" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/default $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Clearlooks" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/clearlooks $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Black" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/black $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Brown" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/brown $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Cobalt" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/cobalt $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Green" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/green $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Red" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/red $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="Coper" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/coper $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
   <Program label="White" confirm="false">cp -a /etc/jwm/themes/white $HOME/.jwm/jwm-theme && jwm -restart</Program>
</Menu>
Now I can change jwm-themes with one mouseclick.Like in Fluxbox and Icewm in Antix.

To be complete (I hope I am) I'm including the jwm-themes mentioned. They can be placed int /etc/jwm/themes
Not sure if you already have an updater for your themes menu, I did not see one so I whipped up a little script to populate a menu via ~/.jwm/themes. Hope it will work out for you

#!/bin/bash
echo"<JWM>" > ~/.jwm/themes-list
echo"<Menu label=\"Themes\">" >> ~/.jwm/themes-list
echo"<Program label=\"Update themes list\" confirm=\"false\">update-jwm-themes.sh</Program>" >> ~/.jwm/themes-list
for THEMES in `ls ~/.jwm/themes`
do
echo"<Program label=\"$THEMES\" confirm=\"false\">cp -a .jwm/themes/$THEMES .jwm/theme && jwm -restart</Program>" >> ~/.jwm/themes-list
done
echo"</Menu>" >> ~/.jwm/themes-list
echo"</JWM>" >> ~/.jwm/themes-list

open leafpad and copy and paste, save as update-jwm-themes.sh. open terminal, become root, type: cp /DIRECORY/update-jwm-themes.sh /usr/local/bin/, press: enter, type: chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/update-jwm-themes.sh, press: enter

Once it is"installed" , menu -->run, type: update-jwm-themes.sh, press: ok , and it will update your theme menu. After this initial run, menu -->settings --> themes --> update themes list
Hannes Worst
Dave. It works great. Wonderfull. Both the menu-updater, as the theme-update script. Thank you very much!