dpdt1
greetings from athens.

first heard of antix from sidux forums.

most recently(a few days ago) with a group i participate in (sid.gr - sorry, greek only), we had some very old hardware to revive, in a cretan city and most distributions we tried, just didn't work. antix did great from the first time and it took us around 15 minutes to install and configure on each pc. (it was the first time we were using it as well ...!!! )

so, last night we decided that antix will be our first choice for old hardware.
(there's a lot of old hardware around greece and we do a lot of"recycling" from it...)

so anticapitalista & friends, thanks for the great work on antix..

i also hope we get to meet at some point..
maybe in thessaloniki whenever we come again.. (?)

dimitris (dpdt1)
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Γεια σου Δημητρη .

Glad to hear that antiX is being put to good use in Greece.
Please let me know when you are up in Thessaloniki and we can go for an ouzo or tsipouro or two __{{emoticon}}__
Landor
I was hangin' out in distrowatch comments and asked Anti if he thought Icewm or Fluxbox would be more beneficial in LXDE than Openbox.
Diversion
As for me, I was looking for a lightweight distro to install on my faithfull ASUS A1000, with 100Mb Ram and a 10Gb harddisk...
tried out some ubuntu flavours and even DSL but Antix was the only one capable of recognizing my Linksys usb wifi card and at the same time allowing my faithfull box to work fast (i'm getting 40% ram usage and a mere 2-15% cpu usage)...
...and my desktop looks completely diferent from what people are used to see __{{emoticon}}__
dpdt1
anticapitalista wrote:Γεια σου Δημητρη .

Glad to hear that antiX is being put to good use in Greece.
Please let me know when you are up in Thessaloniki and we can go for an ouzo or tsipouro or two __{{emoticon}}__
hey again,

just wanted to say, we organized an event for next friday 15/5 in thessaloniki (delta squat - egnatias 13)..
link (in greek only, sorry) :
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://sid.gr/doku.php/events/workshops/9o_workshop"
linktext was:"http://sid.gr/doku.php/events/workshops/9o_workshop"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

we'll be in thessaloniki untill sunday 17/5 so,

if you can, pick a day, and we'd be very happy to meet you and have a tsipouro...or two. __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Damn,
I'll be in Athens that weekend, from the 14-17.

Hope the workshop goes well.
secipolla
Hi,
if I remember well I was kind of mesmerized when discovered articles like this one
url was:"http://www.linux.com/feature/115203"
linktext was:"http://www.linux.com/feature/115203"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false while struggled with a (1999) PIII 450 MHz 256 RAM (by then I had very little knowledge of pc, both hardware and software). It had Win2K in it and worked somewhat well but I foresaw that antiX would do more. Then I reseached a bit and found places like this antiX link
url was:"http://www.tomlinux.ca/"
linktext was:"http://www.tomlinux.ca/"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false , from which I think I learned to burn a live-cd, the first one being antiX 7.2. I found it obviously very nice (and wasn't even able to find something wrong by then __{{emoticon}}__ ), but I had no broadband connection and was unable to connect through dial-up.
Then last year I eventually learned about hardware (after being stolen by a technician __{{emoticon}}__ - the usual newbie staircase) and now we've got a somewhat decent pc in which the main o.s. is ubuntu Hardy (for whoever needs to deal with it) and in which I installed a 8,5 GB hd from that old box with antiX for me to use.
Kudos to ubuntu as well since when Windows turned us down it made the Linux experience not only easy but even quite fun.
stonefury
Mmmmmmmm....... Well after picking up an old armada m300 and, re-soldering the bios battery, I needed to find an OS that would run on only 128 ram.After distro hoping for a bit i had tried all the"true and blue" distros,"DSL" ,"VectorLite","Puppy","UbuntuLite (now U-lite)" ect ect. and had settles between"Vector" and"Antix". Seems this lil laptop has issues with slack linux (something I still cant figure out...... Even goes sideways with"Arch Linux"...Go figure?) I really had no choice but a Debian config. Now this is fine with me cause when I pulled up Synaptic and saw hella software choices , I thought for sure I was running Ubuntu or something. Well ok, so the OS works (fast by the by) and is pretty easy to get used to. But the deal maker was the forums! Hey, I'm just some redneck trying to do the best I can with what I know........ Not some computer-wiz. Most Linux forums (in my experience) have a lot of"nose in the air" elitist attitude typs that make linux very intimidating to the new user. After going thru Antix (and breaking...reinstalling...learning......Repeat many times), and reading thru the forums, I've learned more about how linux works in the last two months then the last year combined. My main goal is not to fix it.....But to understand why it broke....... Kudos to the whole ANTI crew for making my Linux experience a very pleasant and educational one....... And thanks again"Anti" for your time effort and passion On the best lil distro out!!! __{{emoticon}}__
n3v3r_m0r3
Hello, I came from Sidux recently, also tried Mepis as well. My thoughts where that mepis was kind of bloated distro for an older machine. My experience with Sidux where pretty good and really didn't have that many problems with Sidux even though it is rolling release. I have bounced around distos trying a frew, but I keep coming back to a debian based distro. Some of the other Distros I have tried are: Vector, Arch, Mepis, and Ubuntu which was a bad experience over all.

greets
n3v3r_m0r3
Hal343
Red Hat in 2000, Deb 2.2, SUSE 9.3, Ubuntu, Mint XFCE. I have also tried about 20 others on live cd, rokytnji mentioned AntiX on linuxforums and I thought I'd try it. Now have 8.2 testing installed and works very nicely.
Topher
I have tried various Linux flavors since about 1998. I always had one problem or another that stopped me. So off and on I tried various distro's until I ran across Mepis 3.5, I think it was. It just worked. I couldn't convince my wife to let me try and dual boot. I really didn't know enough to convince her. But last year with my retirement coming up, I was determined to ditch MS. I ordered a Dell with Ubuntu installed and played with that for about a month, then I tried Suse. But remembering my previous experience with Mepis, I loaded it and once again found it just simply works.
But now, after trying to convert various friends, I have been given an old computer from church (with a Pentium II 350MHz processor) and told to try and get the books they have in their library on the computer. So am trying to go lighter. So I will probably need some help as some things look sort of familiar and some things are very different. But I do recognize some faces from MepisLovers and know they have helped me in the past as I keep trying to learn new things.
rokytnji
I'm just some redneck trying to do the best I can with what I know........

Glad to see I am not the lone cowboy here, Howdy and Welcome Stonefury.

Hey Hal, How ya doing buddy. There are some real Good folks here.
ezard
i have tried simply mepis for that my old compaq armada 110.it worked..but slown..so looking for something more fast,i found antix(pup,dsl,xubuntu..all failed heare)..
so now im a antix user..
just need to figure out,how to setup right the keyboard.
Hamtaro
Hi,

a couple of days ago my computer more or less stopped being useful - keeps on 'freezing' every couple of minutes etc...
but fortunately I still have an old computer (which is atm the preferred alternative rather than spending money on a new pc).
After several attempts to install windows 98 on that pc I gave up - it just didn't work.
Then I tried an Ubuntu-install but that was a bit too much for the hardware....
Finally I found an article that mentioned AntiX, installed it, liked it and made a mess out of it.

But tomorrow I'll do a reinstall, browse this forum and post questions... __{{emoticon}}__
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Hamtaro,

Welcome to antiX, reinstall is less than 10 mins, you will find a friendly group of knowledgeable people here, so ask away, we will be glad to help.

cheers,
oldhoghead