dpeirce
Thanks Masinick, h2, Anticapitalista, and ICE-M, for all the advice on Sidux and rolling releases :^>. It will take me a little longer to get acquainted with Antix (I still have some outstanding questions I haven't been able to figure out) and then I'll be trying what you've told me in virtual machines. My plan is to leave the base Antix pretty tame and use virtual machines for doing the wild stuff.

The Lord bless you guys!

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.
eriefisher
anticapitalista wrote:dpeirce, don't forget that antiX comes with the smxi scripts which includes the option to clean up orphans, cruft etc.
antiX is far from a perfect rolling release, but it is pretty close IMO. I still have a partition that I have upgraded from antiX-M7.01 to present using sid repos, and it works well.
In fact time to dist-upgrade it __{{emoticon}}__

This laptop has been on sid since 7.0. I use smxi and the upgrader scripts to stay current. I upgrade every week or two unless something serious will break.

Breakage is good, it makes you learn how to maintain the system.
macondo
dpeirce wrote: I'm curious, though, if over time such a system might get loaded up with orphans or obsolete configs and need to be reinstalled just to reorganize. Dunno.
I don't know if in Sidux this works but in the other versions it does:

Code: Select all

macondo@foo:~$ deborphan
libqt4-gui
libavahi-compat-libdnssd1
macondo@foo:~$ su
Password: 
root@foo:/home/macondo# deborphan | xargs dpkg -P
(Reading database ... 60719 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libqt4-gui ...
Removing libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 ...
Purging configuration files for libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 ...
root@foo:/home/macondo# 
dpeirce
Macondo, thanks. I found this over on the"How I did it" thread on Mepislovers (maybe your post :^>):

Code: Select all

# deborphan
# deborphan | xargs dpkg -P
# apt-get clean
The first line lists orphans, the second line deletes them, and the third line cleans out the cache. However, I found that # deborphan | xargs dpkg -P didn't get all the orphans in one pass; it took several passes to get rid of them all. And, these commands work also in Mint 5 on my laptop. It's running better now, or maybe it's my imagination because I know I cleaned it out :^). Antix on the tower only had 5 but it still took two passes.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
eriefisher
You have to be careful using deborphan. It may remove things you need or want. What has probably happened is deborphan removed the orphaned packages and in the process made others orphans so now you are caught in a circle.
dpeirce
Ouch!!

Well, it stopped removing things, and antix/tower and mint5/laptop are running well; haven't seen anything yet operating wrongly. I suppose if I do find something broken I can reinstall it.

However, on google-linux, I find a recent bug report on using the --guess option with deborphan which looks scary.
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/3cc7892c86f95838/7dec3d97edbbf5f8?lnk=raot"
linktext was:"http://groups.google.com/group/linux.de ... 8?lnk=raot"
====================================
The deborphan man page confirms --guess is dinky, but nothing else about it looked scary. Another bug report mentioned deborphan destroying mono files, but Tomboy is still running on both machines. I did see on several forum posts that deborphan wil remove dependencies for 3rd-party programs because apt doesn't know about them; I don't have any of those.

So should I use deborphan only once? Not use it with --guess option? Should I use it at all? Forget about cleaning up :^>?

(I learned several new things looking up this material :^>!)

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
masinick
Dave, unless you are short on space, I would not worry about Orphans. Sure, to the purist, orphan packages make a mess, and over time, there could be both space and nominal speed differences in managing packages, but neither issue is even worth the trouble unless you are either a veteran or strongly want to become one.

In that case, do this stuff on a system where you can make mistakes, and from time to time, make some mistakes or just go about things haphardardly, then try to figure out what went wrong. If you mess it up beyond repair, install again.

Clearly this is ONLY a learning strategy, and only for people who have the time, the inclination and the resources to do it.
dpeirce
That seems safer. I got carried away, but no harm done :^). Thanks.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
macondo
I must be a lucky fellow, deborphan has always taken out all the orphans in one try, and has never taken out anything that i later regret __{{emoticon}}__
dpeirce
Me, after I ran <b><i># deborphan | xargs dpkg -P</i></b> I did <b><i># deborphan</i></b> again, and found a new batch of orphans. Would that have made a difference?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
OU812
If you're trying to clean your drive, and I don't know if this will conflict with deborphan, you can use a mepis tool. Go to

control center > system > configure system

In the first tab you'll some options for recovering space.

john
dpeirce
Initially, I downloaded and installed the basic version of Antix-M8, so I don't have the control center. I looked in synaptic and found mepis-config which wasn't installed, so I installed it but it doesn't seem to offer me the control center. What can I add to antix basic to give me the control center?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If you want just to recover space as suggested by OU812, then open as root user in a terminal

msystem

Installing mxconfig was not a good idea as it *MIGHT* affect upgrading in the future.
BUT, simply removing it will also remove some important config files so you need to keep a backup first.

The files MUST be backed up before removing mepis-config (some may not exist, that is ok)

/etc/adduser.conf
/etc/sudoers
/etc/mplayerplug-in.conf
/etc/apt/preferences
/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/kde3/kdesktoprc
/etc/kde3/kickerrc
/etc/kde3/kwalletrc
dpeirce
Oh, THAT'S the control center! OK, yes, I've got those options checked, and I'll use localepurge to delete the extra locale files.

Unfortunately, I had already deleted mepis-config; on reboot, all the files you listed are gone. Do I need the kde3 files (I have the amarokrc)? I looked at a manpage for adduser.conf and it doesn't look like it will be easy to reconstruct. I put 'adduser.conf' into the search window on the Antix home page, looking for a sample, but it doesn't have any entries.

Is there anything easy to do or is it reinstall time?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Here are the ones you definitely need.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/mepis-conf/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/mepis-conf/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false