michmanbiker
I started using linux some time ago but was using windows as my day to day OS until I decided to go Linux 100%. To do so I took various distros for a run and settled on Mepis 8.0. I upgraded to Mepis 11 and then got frustrated with the never ending 12 testing and version 11 becoming obsolete. When it worked, Mepis was really a great distro with the most supportive community.

I moved to Kubuntu and was satisfied with the experience as I was running it ion a powerful machine, despite all that, Kubuntu felt bloated and somehow relegated to a second class status as Canonical stopped direct support. I used a Mac as a main machine for a long time as I was focusing on design and was always looking for the opportunity to move back to linux. During a recent unwanted break at hospital, I revived a 7 years old notebook with 2G of ram and decided to run Linux on it.

I looked for light distributions, I tried a couple of them and the short list was Antix and Lubuntu. While I preferred Lubuntus look and feel I found Antix worked right out of the box as far as the os was concerned and with some twicking, I got all my core applications working the way I wanted.

Antix is fast, nimble and solid. I am looking forward to 17

Michel
antix1974
Hello and thank u for giving me access to this forum. I recently reactivated an old laptop and was looking for an os that would work for me. So I remembered some of my good experiences with this excellent distro and decided to give it a try. Well, it was worth the effort. thx again.
rokytnji
Howdy and Welcome to all new members.
antix1974
Sorry for my late reply but I didn't check my mail account. I came here because I needed some info on how to get my wlan going and other things as well. By the way, do you know how to make openarena run on my old laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeopn 9000? Have a nice day
mmmmna
Hi, anyone!

Got here after nearly 18 years of:
-testing (RH 4.0, Mandrake 7.1 Helium),
-tinkering (Arch Linux 0.4, Caldera Desktop),
-dual booting (WinXP64 and Kubuntu or with PCLinuxOS),
-then running only Linux (many dozens of distros).

The 'flavor of the week' for this quarter is any distribution that tests live, installs properly, updates properly, and remains functional after updating.

Congratulations this quarter goes to Antix 16.2 for X64. Maybe I'll keep it longer than a quarter.
masinick
mmmmna wrote: Hi, anyone!

Got here after nearly 18 years of:
-testing (RH 4.0, Mandrake 7.1 Helium),
-tinkering (Arch Linux 0.4, Caldera Desktop),
-dual booting (WinXP64 and Kubuntu or with PCLinuxOS),
-then running only Linux (many dozens of distros).

The 'flavor of the week' for this quarter is any distribution that tests live, installs properly, updates properly, and remains functional after updating.

Congratulations this quarter goes to Antix 16.2 for X64. Maybe I'll keep it longer than a quarter.
Glad to see you giving antiX a try Mmmna!  Anticapitalista has been around for a while now - over a decade in fact!  If my recollection is correct, the first antiX"release" came about three years after Warren Woodford started MEPIS - 2003 was the MEPIS launch; the first one I recall was in May 2003.  Three years later - and I'm sorry, I'd have to review my stuff, if I can find it anywhere, anticapitalista came up with a smaller, leaner, and lighter variation of MEPIS after Warren starting building MEPIS with KDE.

The early versions of antiX came with Fluxbox, which is a light WM.  I was one of those convincing the team to add IceWM, which I felt would be easier for newbies to use, and a good default, where Fluxbox had appeal for the true geek; by having both, more flexibility was gained, though that was the beginning of a somewhat larger antiX image.  So the next stage was to come up with a Base version of antiX, which provided a base system with not much else, allowing each person to build and customize to suit.  Following that was an even leaner approach, antiX Core, where you could truly build everything from a kernel and a few crucial system utilities - not quite going to the extent of"Linux From Scratch", but providing a reasonably easy way to, borrowing from an old"Burger King" motto:"Have it YOUR way".

Meanwhile, by 2012, Warren Woodford tired of building MEPIS, found a more lucrative way to make money, working with patents and related intellectual property tools and legal matters.  He did appear to leave the MEPIS"keys to the kingdom" in the hands of Paul, a.k.a. anticapitalista, who transformed the KDE-based MEPIS into a lighter, easy to use instance of antiX called MX - MX-14, MX-15, MX-16, and soon MX-17.

That's the easy, whip it in and run a simple, well designed system version, made in collaboration with the MEPIS Lovers Community.
Then there's antiX Full, antiX Base, and antiX Core, all being tested in their 2017 skins - with a release expected soon.  Lots of good stuff here!
masinick
rokytnji wrote: How  did I get here? Why I clicked on the bookmarked link in Iceweasel on my New AntiX install. New to computers. Just your average Tattoed Outlaw Biker Linux User. Never got into Windows much. Use it for TTS software for tuning motorcycles and for SERT software. Other than that I use Linux for everything else. Wife bought me my first IBM 390 with Win 98. Got the bug and Bought me a IBM M41 Tower with Empty Hardrive. First popped my cherry with Open Suse 9. Stayed lost for awhile and it made me buy a Open Suse Book. It was cool for awhile. Then I installed Mepis 6.5 next. Liked what I saw. Been a Mepis lovers forum member ever since, but don't post much. Now a couple years later I own
1. Ibm m41--Mepis 7--40 gig hd , 1 gig ram, 1.8hgz Pentium M
2. ibm m57-- (main box now) Ubuntu 8.04--130 gig hd, 2 gig ram, 1.8 ghz dual core intel
3. Amrel Rt 686 Laptop-- (Hot swap Hardrives, 3 of them) --900 mhz, 384 mb ram
  a. Puppy Dingo/Nimblex dualboot --20 gig hd
  b. Xubuntu 8.10 --6 gig hd
  c. WindowsXP/Windows 2000 pro/AntiX 7.5---100 gig hardrive
4. ibm t23---- Tried Zenwalk, but I'm too unsavvy for Slackware I guess. So Xubuntu 8.10/ AntiX there to. --60 gig hardrive, 256 mb ram, 1.6 ghz pentium
I'm not a programmer, or real tech savvy, but I'm self taught linux user :)  and all my boxes work like they should. (Laptops work wireless,sound,flash,java,etc.....) I registered and am typing out this post with the Amrel Laptop right now using a Dlink WNA 1330 Wireless G PCMCIA Cardbus with Atheros Chipset using AntiX 7,5.

Running Puppy has made the Icewm transition a little easier. I'm spoiled by Gnome,KDE, and XFCE. Still baby stepping mostly though. No worries cuz I'll Learn in my own sweet time.

I think Linux has made me a lot smarter when it comes to computers and now I feel comfortable taking chances on customizing my computer gear like I do my Motorcycles.
Run my own Bike shop here in Pecos Texas. And thats about it foks. So Howdy and Happy Trails to ya. :)
Hey Roki, do you remember these days?  I can remember, but the memories are dim, except when I go back to old posts to remember.

One of my old"buds" in these days was a guy who used to visit the antiX forums often, and he used the handle ErieFisher.  If I'm not mistaken, he loved to fish, particularly winter ICE fishing in, around, and on Lake Erie, though I can't remember any more whether he hailed from an area on or near the lake itself, and I don't know if it was on the Ontario side - Leamington, Hamilton, Brantford, Niagara Falls, or if it was Ohio - Sandusky, Cleveland, the small swatch of Pennsylvania close to the shores of Lake Erie, or the state of New York, which also has a little bit of land along Lake Erie - or maybe even the southern most sections of Michigan, where the straights of Detroit, a.k.a. Detroit River, widen into Lake Erie - so you get a FREE mini geography lesson here!

ErieFisher and I were proponents of adding IceWM to antiX; from what I can see here, when the MEPIS community saw that, it may have been one of the events that helped your biker carcass to head over here more often - and look - nearly a decade later you're an ICON to the community and one of our main proponents and moderators.  Meanwhile ErieFisher and I have been less active in the day to day stuff - in fact it's been years since I've seen or heard from ErieFisher - I hope he didn't go permanently to the"Spirit in the Sky" - look that old tune up - maybe you'll remember that OLDIE!  LOL
fatmac
mmmmna wrote: -then running only Linux (many dozens of distros).

If you've got any sense you will...... 😉
rokytnji
masinick
Posts 1,111

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:07 am #277

Hey Roki, do you remember these days?
Crystal Clear. I am still that guy. Only one major change. Guys like you and the rest on this forum and Anti taught me so much in them in them years and made me enjoy computers. Disliking something. Sometimes comes from ignorance.  You guys and gals fixed that for me.

Off topic: Now to open a new tab to grab another quote . Advanced reply does not show previous posts.
I hope he didn't go permanently to the"Spirit in the Sky"
Yeah. I miss a lot of the old crew.   I guess later on today. I'll pour a beer on the ground,  drink a beer,  and a smoke a joint in their memory.
Being such a kid at heart.
Iis Meme
Well, I was a fugitive from Windoze. I ran into Mandrake  Linux. It was kinda clunky,but it just started something for me. I move on to Ubuntu around version 4 or 5 I think. used that until Canonical got crazy for Unity. Maybe Around 10.4 or 10.10 . Used Debian for awhile ,til  ver. 7 or so. Open Suse, Makulu,Mint, so on. I am Currently running mx 16. I've been using it since ver.14, looking forward to  17. looks like i might be a linux whore.  oh, can i say that ? . Well I realize a desktop linux distro is a very complicated thing, but i hope some day to see one run as flawlessly as some of the mobile distros.  Well Like the man said , I Have A Dream.
torsten
Hello together,

seems I should also introduce myself here...
I am in Computers since I soldered an Zilog Z8 based 8bit one-chip-Computer in old east Germany. Still remember to have payed 134 DDR-Mark for my first kB (yes: 8bits x 1024) SRAM... ;-)
Then came"the other world" and PCs with DOS and Win3.1 And the Institute Server with an early Linux (dont ask me for the distro) runnning miracles on a 386.
My PhD I wrote"MS free" on a OS/2 System with WordPerfect in its DOS box.
My first Laptop got a Sus 3 Linux as triple boot with OS/2 and Win NT4. In 1999 I believe.
Then I somehow got sucked into the Windows / MS-Office world for many years - to much work to little free time, .... - oh and I tried to keep OS/2 alive for quite a while
And now I am sitting on a collection of mostly old Computers: a P1-MMX with 64MB, a TP600 with PII-400 and 382 MB, a TP600x with PIII-750 and 640MB... - all still working fine and having good batteries but not running on a up to date System allowing Internet Access. Thus I am looking for a low-ressource Linux to keep at least part of them alive.
For the 600x it seems antiX 16.2 is the right thing. For the 600 it is currently like an adventure game: finding new levels all the time  ;-) - seems now I have to downgrade to something older for getting sound to work...
And once I get used to antiX I might also convert the"medium old" Armada: two Pentium-M machines from 2005 (one TP T43, the other based on a MSI barebone) and one TP R60 (all of them still doing with Win 10, but slow and probably soon unsupported too) - only question: what do Ii do with all those old treasures -work wise?

Torsten
jdmeaux1952
torsten wrote: Hello together,.... only question: what do Ii do with all those old treasures -work wise?

Torsten
Welcome & Howdy from Cajun Country down in Louisiana USA.  One thing for sure is that AntiX will work when you need it.
rokytnji

Code: Select all

what do Ii do with all those old treasures -work wise?

One to run a printer using cli or JWM.

One to run MOC and plug the computer speaker jack into stereo using one of these

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jQp4RFXXXXc3apXXq6xXFXXXE/Robotsky-RCA-Audio-Cable-3-5mm-Plug-Jack-To-2RCA-Stereo-AUX-font-b-Splitter-b.jpg"
linktext was:"https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jQp4RFXX ... tter-b.jpg"
====================================

With some cheapo speakers for piping music while at work using some url like this one

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.radionovak.com/"
linktext was:"http://www.radionovak.com/"
====================================

That is all I can think of for now. Just woke up. Need coffee.

Code: Select all

┌─────┤/home/harry/Music/Music/Stream Radio├─────┐┌───────────────────┤Playlist├───────────────────┐
│../                                             ││1 SanctuaryRadio (128kbps)           [     |NET]│
│100Hitz.pls                                     ││                                                │
│106_rock.pls                                    ││                                                │
│1FM.pls                                         ││                                                │
│2nd2none.pls                                    ││                                                │
│AGX.pls                                         ││                                                │
│All_Dixie_Rok.pls                               ││                                                │
│AmpZ_Adults.pls                                 ││                                                │
│Audio_Ink.pls                                   ││                                                │
│Bad_Rock_Radio.pls                              ││                                                │
│bglradio.pls                                    ││                                                │
│Boardies.pls                                    ││                                                │
│Classic_Deep_cuts.pls                           ││                                                │
│classic_gator_rock.pls                          ││                                                │
│Creek_valley.pls                                ││                                                │
│Dangerous.pls                                   ││                                                │
│Dark_Mother.pls                                 ││                                                │
│Dead_to_self.pls                                ││                                                │
│DoomNation.pls                                  ││                                                │
│Edge.pls                                        ││                                                │
├────┤Files: 1                 ├──────────────────────────────┤       Master 100%  ├───┤ 000:00:00├┤
│[] (0) The playlist was cleared.                                                                  │
│00:00       [00:00]     kHz     kbps [STEREO] [NET] [SHUFFLE] [REPEAT] [NEXT]                     │
└┤                                                                                              

corsiglia
Hello from South West France, I came through Ubuntu !
fatmac
Welcome aboard. :)