masinick
I have neither seen Thunar contain a black screen (dark, invisible), nor have I seen Thunar cause a situation that creates a system freeze with a black screen either. What's up with this? Please provide specific details, for instance, give us a scenario of what steps you were doing, what applications were open at the time, and specifically what happened. If a system failure or application failure occurred, please provide as many details as possible to give us a chance to either help you resolve this - or if there is a defect, to do what we can to resolve it.
gnomic
Just giving the base iso a hard time __{{emoticon}}__ with Compaq E500 Armada laptop, P3 600MHz with 320 RAM.

Wifi OK via ceni and Ralink PC card - machine has no builtin networking. Rutilt screws up on this machine as well but at least has the good grace to presumably crash and disappear after spawning multiple warning windows. I noticed this in dmesg by the way. Maybe a clue? Card inserted uses rt2561s.

rutilt[1793]: segfault at 50 ip b7358f8c sp bfed5040 error 4 in libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.3[b72ed000+98000]

At boot I had a DVD drive attached via a USB/IDE adapter on the single USB 1.1 port. I removed this and inserted a USB stick. It was not recognised. dmesg says, ad infinitum,
hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

Had to close the terminal to get it to stop saying this.

In my humble opinion by the way, the problem with usbmount and ownership should be a showstopper until resolved. My personal patience for problems of this kind (ie being unable to attach a drive via USB and d/l to it) is strictly limited, especially as it seems to be hard to resolve speedily by the user - assuming the latter has ever heard of chown and the like.

Nag, nag, nag. All in the interests of quality of course ;-\/

Will have another session on a machine with more USB ports and look at CD writing. Don't forget to adjust the boot time delay - you'll be glad you did.

How does one boot in RAM by the way?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
gnomic, usbmount will be removed for final. I have a bettter solution for usb devices. (well 3 in fact)

I can't remember how to adjust the boot delay. It must be hard coded into isolinux. Anyhow, at that screen, press the down arrow on your keyboard and the time will stop. To boot into RAM type toram

I have also fixed the eject cd/dvd issue. It ejects and then you are prompted to remove the cd/dvd, close and reboot.
masinick
Using GRUB 2, there is a variable called GRUB_TIMEOUT that defaults to 5 - five seconds. It can be overridden in the file /etc/grub.d/00_header. Using GRUB Legacy, in case anyone is using it, there is a similar value, simply called timeout, and it is often set to 5. This parameter can also be changed as needed

syntax

timeout 30
jeffreyC
As previously stated

I commented out the start up sound and restarted Fluxbox

I logged back in to the live session when Fluxbox did not restart normally

I then, using the Fluxbox menu tried to open Thunar, the only other app running was conky

The screen went black and stayed that way

I held down the power button until the computer shut off

I did check the ISO and burned at 4x
masinick
jeffreyC wrote:As previously stated

I commented out the start up sound and restarted Fluxbox

I logged back in to the live session when Fluxbox did not restart normally

I then, using the Fluxbox menu tried to open Thunar, the only other app running was conky

The screen went black and stayed that way

I held down the power button until the computer shut off

I did check the ISO and burned at 4x
Thank you for this different description. At least for me, it is more understandable, but let me check my understanding, just to be sure I have it right. Are you then saying that starting Thunar (for whatever reason) caused the display server to fail and the screen to go blank? At least that is what appears to be happening.

I would imagine that there is something in your configuration that is tripping not only Thunar, but the entire display server, if I have read your report correctly. Please tell us a few more things:

1. If you repeated this operation three or more times, have you (or would you) replicate this same failure (a black or blank screen) every time?
2. Is there anything else you've found that also trips up the display and kills it (I am assuming that is what is happening)?
3. Did you try, and can you try, to access a console tty, using Ctrl-Alt-F2 for instance? If that is inaccessible, it could be that you cannot switch to it or it could mean a complete system hang.

Please provide your complete hardware configuration. Any interesting peripherals?
masinick
gnomic wrote: How does one boot in RAM by the way?
Add the boot argument toram to the boot screen (press Tab to allow entry of additional arguments or just add them to the end of the kernel line of the boot record, for example, for this line:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686 root=UUID=05d17e98-d50d-4a54-99c5-ce7a463229a4 ro

make it

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686 root=UUID=05d17e98-d50d-4a54-99c5-ce7a463229a4 ro toram

Sometimes copy2ram also works, and when in doubt, I throw in both; one or the other will"take". In the case of antiX, according to
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Boot_options"
linktext was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... ot_options"
====================================
the option we'd use is toram. Other systems use copy2ram, some recognize either, still others do not recognize these cheat codes, which do vary from distribution to distribution.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
JeffreyC,

Which version of antiX? 486 or 686?
Did you boot to fluxbox pure or fluxbox Rox?
jeffreyC
Fluxbox pure

Toshiba Satellite a105
celeron 1.5 ghz
1.5 gb RAM

I normally use Debian testing with Thunar, Fluxbox (among others), SLiM

I do not know if Thunar caused the black screen, it may have done so on its own at that time.
There was no error message and with a live session no log.
susavane1
Hi anti and the others,
I don't know what is wrong with the M11-version. I burnt the rc1, it cannot boot, no matter which option I try. Now I wanted to avoid waisting another cd and copied this final version to a pendrive. It also cannot boot on my old computers with 256 mb ram, leaving the message"can't find antiX file system". But it boots on an EeePC!!! There I can't get wireless connection, ceni does not work. Okay, I don't really need it for the netbook, I'm very happy with fluxbox.
But what can I do to boot and then install on my old ones? I like the 8.5 version which I have on my oldest computer.
Thank you for your answers in advance. Greetings, Susanne

__{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
Dave
When you get to the grub boot screen type rootdelay=20 on the end and the usb should boot. Not sure why th cd will not boot though
rokytnji
Oops. Wrong section. __{{emoticon}}__
susavane1
Dave wrote:When you get to the grub boot screen type rootdelay=20 on the end and the usb should boot. Not sure why th cd will not boot though
Hi Dave,
thank you for your answer, but it did not solve the problem. The boot started, after a very long time, but at the end of it the monitor turnt off with the message:
"out of range". I think that means that the graphic cards driver is not in the system.
What can I do now?
Greetings, Susanne __{{emoticon}}__
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Susavane1,

As to the cd : Susanne when you try to boot the cd, go into your bios and set the cd to boot first and see if it will then boot.

It would help us to know the particulars of your rig, how about in terminal as a user

inxi -F

and paste result here in a code box

cheers,
ohh
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Choose the no cheats option, then type vga=normal or vga=788 and drvr=vesa then press Enter