plvera
I had my laptop running with stable repos and I did an upgrade to the new squeeze release. I had to reinstall pcmanfm since it was acting odd (would only see 1 or 2 levels and then stop working). Synaptic installed pcmanfm 0.9.7

Now I noticed that neither pcmanfm (nor rox-filer) can pickup my USB sticks. Pcmanfm always worked in the past, so I'm not sure what's the problem. I noticed that while I ran apt-get to upgrade, synaptic claims a bunch of packages could be upgraded.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

thanks.

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
what does apt-get -f install show?
plvera
Hi Anti:

Not much. A whole bunch of packages not upgraded. I did notice that many packages were held back during apt-get upgrade.

root@mepis1:/home/pedro# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libhd15
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 239 not upgraded.

thanks
anticapitalista
Site Admin
239 not upgraded?

Do a dist-upgrade unless you get serious warnings
plvera
Seem to have survived the dist-upgrade __{{emoticon}}__ And now only 3 pkgs are not being upgraded (according to apt-get -f install).

Still, I can't see the usb sticks though.

thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Which packages are held back?

Try re-installing halevt.
First purge it then install it again.
dark-D
pedro, i think your mounted partitions are mounted in /mnt/. i noticed that as long as you use the default mount point in the new pcmanfm, the partitions are not shown in the left side panel. as a fix i used for a friend another directory and mounted the partition there by modifying the fstab.
plvera
Thanks Anti and Ice for the suggestions. I'll try them tonight and let you know.
rokytnji
I wonder if pivera is experiencing what I went through?
Now basically. I open pcmanfm as root and all my drives start with a"h" like /dev/hda1. If I try to open it in rox or pcmanfm as root. Get the device does not exist error. So I decide to compare /etc/fstab with fdisk -l to see what the differences are. Walla. /etc/fstab below.
Read the whole thread pivera. Because I got it sorted.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/antix-m11-pt2-available-for-internal-testing-t2930.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/antix-m11-p ... t2930.html"
====================================

If not relevant. Sorry.
plvera
Roky,
thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out. I noticed that fdisk does list the usb stick. fstab seems to have the same names (sda1,..etc).

I wonder if it's a udev problem since I'm getting a whole lot of messages now upon boot about udev not being supported or upgrade in next release, or something like that.

Anyway, I'll check the thread later tonight.

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What kernel are you using? You need one at least than 2.6.32
plvera
Heh, I'm running 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686. Been working fine up the squeeze update that is. I haven't updated the kernel since I'm concerned about my broadcom wireless card.

So, should I update it with smxi?

thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Try using the liquorix kernel in smxi
plvera
Thanks anti. I'll give it a try tonite.
plvera
The latest liquorix kernel did not pickup either the ethernet or the wireless card. I installed the latest debian kernel and that one at least sees my ethernet card, but I can't connect.

I'll post my inxi once I'm back with my trusty and old mepis kernel __{{emoticon}}__

Pedro