Just edit .xinitrc, change the last line from

*)
exec startfluxbox

To

*)
exec icewm-session

And IceWM will start automagically.
OU812
Thanks, erie, that's exactly what I did. I also edited /etc/slim.conf so that when you hit f1, fluxbox is the first option. This made more sense than hitting f1 and seeing"icewm."

john
anticapitalista
Site Admin
The script missed one important app. (now fixed)

apt-get install aumix-gtk

Xine is not included in the script as it gave errors and it can be installed afterwards anyway.

If you use the mount option in the control centre, then you have to unmount using root I'm afraid.

Some usb devices do auto-mount without using that option in the CC and you can unmount as user.

Glad that you like the result.

I can confirm that openoffice will need to be removed before doing a dist-upgrade. The problem lib is libnss3-0d upgrading to libnss3-1d. Anyhow, using the smxi script it is easy to install openoffice afterwards.
mariel77
anticapitalista wrote:Anyhow, using the smxi script it is easy to install openoffice afterwards.
Thanks, anti, OU812, and eiriefisher; I appreciate your help.

Regarding smxi, I saw in a thread that it is supposed to be run from runlevel 3. Is this correct? Also should I use it if I am not using sid repos?

Thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You can use the smxi script and keep the default repos. It asks you at the beginning.
It also asks if you want to use apt-get or aptitude. (I recommend apt-get).
You are asked if you want to use dist-upgrade or upgrade. I use dist-upgrade (better for sid/unstable), but you choose.

Once you get used to it, it really is an excellent addition to antiX.

It should be run in init3, but what I normally do is in X
apt-get update
apt-get -d dist-upgrade (the -d option downloads the files, but doesn't install)

I then hit control/alt/backspace to get out of X
root
password
smxi

(and off you go)
h2
I dropped the init 3 thing, and made the x/desktop tests much more robust, now it simply kills x when it starts, ignoring runlevels altogether, and starts your default runlevel, found in /etc/inittab, when it's done. Same for sgfxi. So you can start it in init 3 to avoid the x kill, or 2 for debian type systems.

The init 3 thing was always, I came to realize, a meaningless abstraction, the actual point is simply to have one single user level, init 1, one non gui/desktop start level, 2, or 3, and one gui desktop start up level, 3, or 5.

To keep it simple, I am now making all my machines 1-2-3, using the new runlevel default tool in misc tweaks, advanced tweaks, set default runlevel.

Debian defaults all its services/daemons to start at 2-5, so no desktop start in 3, start in 5 makes little sense in a debian system in my opinion, since every single other service has started in 2-4 already when it hits 5, but following some debian advice I read, I make the desktop and default runlevel 3 now, the next step after 2.

I slightly improved the apt-get/aptitude check, now it doesn't ask you at all if you dont' have aptitude installed.

However, you MUST convert your system to use aptitude if you created and maintained it with apt-get, otherwise aptitude tries to remove all the apps and packages it didn't install.

I believe, though I'm not certain, that you can get around this by creating a list of your installed packages, and then reinstalling all of them with aptitude, so it then knows about them.

I need to test that theory though, I'm almost certain it will work. But do not try to run aptitude unless you started your system using it, I've been testing, and both debian sid and testing work very well if built and run with aptitude, but only if you start out with it from the first system build.
mariel77
Thank you, anti and h2! __{{emoticon}}__