anticapitalista
Site Admin
I have made available upgraded/bug fix isos for antiX-M8.5, antiX-M8.5-base in 486 and 686 flavours.
Ideal for new users to antiX as it saves over 400MB of downloads since antiX-M8.5 was released.
These versions also include the cli-installer and all doc files are kept.
If you have upgraded your antiX-M8.5 (or earlier) version via apt/aptitude, then there is no need to install the newer iso.

Also available is antiX-core-b1. Improvements over core-a1 include extra features in the cli-installer ie separate /home now possible and keymap issues in core-a1 should be fixed.

Available from here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
====================================

Post feedback in this thread.
secipolla
Hi anti, could you please include a list with the installed packages in antiX-core here (or in antix.mepis.org)?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Done, secipolla.
secipolla
Thanks anti.

anti, did you use the latest version from antix2usb-gui.py that uses po/mo files for localization? Just reminding you.

Also, I know we can use remaster.sh for an easy antiX remaster and all we need is an antiX ISO. It can even be done from another Debian system. Could you please give us an overview about the 'remaster on-the-fly' feature in an antiX pendrive? *EDIT* never mind, the 'remaster on-the-fly' is installing the persistent usb system right? I'm thinking of posting in the Tips&Tricks section if only to have a reference for it.

I didn't download any of the updated ISOs yet (although I plan to download either the full or to do a remaster from core to keep as a rescue cd). I suppose you tweaked /etc/apt/preferences to avoid mplayer/gmplayer update issues, did you just delete the file or did you keep the linux-kbuild line there?

-edit- are the mirrors going to sync with the new ISO automatically? Otherwise you should update the download link at antix.mepis.org (I did for the PT page).
drazen
I have tried the 686 on the same machine where the pre-update 686 version worked (Besides the keypad setup-problem secipolla helped me resolve).
It would not start. I will be making another copy just to make shure that the ISo is OK. Download MD5 tested OK.
(The machine is ASUS Centrino 700 / 128 MB RAM. It is supposed to be the 686 architecture.)
secipolla
A little tip, I think SLiM (the login manager) only accepts English characters so avoid using non-English ones (like รง) in your user name and password (symbols like @#$%& are fine).
rokytnji
Gonna be downloading and installing antiX-M8.5-686-update.iso on my IBM M41 Wireless desktop

Code: Select all

GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports 1c00 1840 BusID: 00:1f.5
           Card-2 Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] at port 2040 BusID: 02:0e.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card Intel 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller driver e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 02:08.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 100.1GB (2.6% used) 1: /dev/hda IC35L040AVVA07-0 40.0GB 
           2: /dev/hdd SAMSUNG SV6003H 60.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 5.9G used: 2.2G (39%) fs: ext3 ID:/home size: 20G used: 275M (2%) fs: ext3 
           ID:swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 85 Uptime 12 min Memory 110.8/1135.5MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.10 
harry@biker:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter
Because I want to start from scratch on this Desktop. My Sister gave me a HUGE CRT moniter for this Desktop (I had mothballed it) and this Desktop also has NOP puppy, Bruno Puppy, and Windows 2000 Pro on it also. You guys might remember that this is my old motorcycle shop Desktop. I know I can apt-get dist-upgrade and stuff but I wanna play with the new toys __{{emoticon}}__ .

I will also be making a Pendrive also of this using Unetbootin and installing same on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 with 160 gig Hardrive which has Windows XP sp3 (left on for the wife) and Easy Peasy Ubuntu 8.10 (no longer supported). typing all this from Antix on the Desktop so no inxi yet for the Acer. I run a persistent Antix 8.5 Core SD Flash on it. But I want to instakk internally also. Just because.

I will be posting later (days) about how things are going and being my usual blabbering , oops I screwed the pooch self. __{{emoticon}}__

Happy Trails, Rok
anticapitalista
Site Admin
secipolla"did you use the latest version from antix2usb-gui.py that uses po/mo files for localization?"

- I'm not sure if I ever got this.

secipolla"I suppose you tweaked /etc/apt/preferences to avoid mplayer/gmplayer update issues, did you just delete the file or did you keep the linux-kbuild line there?"

I removed the contents in core, but left the linux-kbuild line in preferences in both base and full.

secipolla"are the mirrors going to sync with the new ISO automatically? Otherwise you should update the download link at antix.mepis.org (I did for the PT page)."

They don't sync. But I'll wait on some feedback before uploading to MEPIS mirrors.

I forgot to mention that there is a noxorg cheat for livecd.This will also carry over to install. Useful for those who wish to use udev rather than xorg.conf for drivers, keyboards, monitors etc. If you use smxi without a /etc/X11/xorg.conf to install a driver, smxi will create a basic one anyway.
The xorg.conf created by antiX is ok, but there might be problems when installing drivers. The drivers install, but you may have a problem with the monitor 'sleeping' once in X.
secipolla
"did you use the latest version from antix2usb-gui.py that uses po/mo files for localization?"

- I'm not sure if I ever got this.
I tested it for lagopus and it worked fine. Now I don't remember if he sent me it privately (could be).
"I suppose you tweaked /etc/apt/preferences to avoid mplayer/gmplayer update issues, did you just delete the file or did you keep the linux-kbuild line there?"

I removed the contents in core, but left the linux-kbuild line in preferences in both base and full.
Now that would be like you were assuming that we would replace the kernel in core (either in an installation or in a remaster). Then maybe you should upload it with a liquorix kernel or a Debian kernel (or one of each), or if you stay only with the MEPIS kernel then maybe better stay with the linux-kbuild entry in /etc/apt/preferences.
"are the mirrors going to sync with the new ISO automatically? Otherwise you should update the download link at antix.mepis.org (I did for the PT page)."

They don't sync. But I'll wait on some feedback before uploading to MEPIS mirrors.
I put the mepisimo one in antix.mepis.org-Brazilian Portuguese. I thought it could have not much bandwidth but I also thought the ISO would be ok.
I forgot to mention that there is a noxorg cheat for livecd.This will also carry over to install. Useful for those who wish to use udev rather than xorg.conf for drivers, keyboards, monitors etc. If you use smxi without a /etc/X11/xorg.conf to install a driver, smxi will create a basic one anyway.
The xorg.conf created by antiX is ok, but there might be problems when installing drivers. The drivers install, but you may have a problem with the monitor 'sleeping' once in X.
I didn't understand much what you said here but just for info, I set a Debian Squeeze system and it doesn't have xorg.conf and I also noticed it has either a screensaver or a monitor power saver set (didn't pay attention to the detail) and I didn't find where's its config (but didn't search much).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I installed core-b1 to a spare partition, installed xorg feh and fluxbox the run smxi to set up/install nvidia drivers.
Because the mepis repos were commented out, the headers could not be installed and so the driver installation failed.
I then enabled the MEPIS repos and ran smxi again and the correct kbuild from MEPIS got downloaded even though it is not in the /etc/apt/preferences file. So it seems that it isn't necessary in core.

My old graphics card died on me a couple of weeks ago, so I bought myself a 8400 nvidia GS one. With my old xorg.conf that worked ok with the older card, there were problems. smxi/sgfxi correctly downloadedthe drivers and installed them ok, but booting into X caused my monitor to sleep (orange led). I fixed this by removing the xorg.conf, running smxi again, allowing smxi to create a basic xorg.conf and then it works. (though it sets a resolution higher than I prefer).

xorg.conf is supposed to be obsolete for squeeze, but it also seems to be 'encouraged' again in sid.
secipolla
Hmm, but I think smxi backs up xorg.conf then lets nvidia-xconfig create its own. So if I understood what you say then it was the one created by nvidia-xconfig that gave your monitor that problem. As an extra info there's a new NVIDIA driver launched today.

I installed a custom LXDE Squeeze for my brother and by force of habit installed the proprietary driver even before I had booted to the graphic environment, so smxi disabled KMS and created the xorg.conf. Then I wanted to try the new setup with KMS and nouveau and so I set up another system. I'm very satisfied with it graphics wise so far, but I didn't play any games, not even Lbreakout to see if there's a noticeable disadvantage to the proprietary driver. But then I have a basic GF 6200 of which maybe nouveau takes care well.
masinick
I have not had the opportunity to try out b1 yet, but I had good success with a1, however that was only after getting some feedback from anti on what the cheat codes were used for - and I removed most of them.

I sent a note to
url was:"http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/forum"
linktext was:"http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/forum"
and one of the guys there tried out antiX-core. He did not give me any specifics, but he made the comment that he felt that the software was of Alpha quality, so I asked him to be more specific and explain to me what he feels is deficient. I can understand it if he isn't the type to run"core". I believe that we are targeting a very small population with this work. But I didn't feel that a1 was a bad start at all. Yes, it needs work, and we've had a lot of great suggestions already.

On my end, my suggestions would be to include boot lines both including and excluding the cheat codes, and perhaps a sidebar or some documentation explaining the codes, or at the very least a downloadable document that people can see alongside the iso images.

I don't agree with my friend about the"Alpha" quality. My perspective is that some of the important information to know is here on the forums and somehow that needs to be included either in the kits or alongside the kits so would be installers will see it. I think the actual bits - at least what has been implemented so far, works well. It goes without saying that there is more work to be done, but I am satisfied with the progress. Assuming I can get feedback on the"complaints" from this friend, I will either have them share them here, or if I can find out exactly what they are, I will share them and provide my perspective on them. Meanwhile, I like the direction that we are heading, and I believe each build will do that - build upon and improve upon what we've already established. Keep it up, I like it!
drazen
I solved the previously stated problem of ISO not working.
Had to burn it again. The empty disk apparantly had the"hole" too big or slippery so it would work on one laptop but not on another.
After booting, I have managed to use the cli-installation option, but not without problems.
I tested it on an old Asus laptop with Centrino 700/128 MB RAM.
1. I had to switch off my USB mouse, the system found unrecognized USB device and got frozen.
2. I had to increase SWAP from 256 MB to 1 GB (Probably an overkill, but with 256 MB, it was not working. Installation script"complained" that the swap is 0??? OH, BTW - I also added the"lowmem" option.
I do not have sufficient understanding of the process so it took me a lot of time to get find out.
I wonder why bother with the"cli-installer" when Debian has an excellent text-mode installer, especially if used in the"expert" mode?
Regards!
masinick
Here is the feedback that I got from the friend over at the Desktop Linux Reviews Forum on the issues he had with antiX-core b1:"As stated in a previous post, I went through the install process 3 times. 1 and 3 would not boot upon restart, and 2 never finished the install. Basically got the old"there is no bootable disk" message.

On the first install, it copied the files at a rather slow speed, but the rest of the install went smoothly.

On the second install attempt, it told me the 8.3gb partition I set up was full so it went into an endless loop trying to copy the files.

On the third attempt, I repartitioned the disk, and the install seemed to go smoothly. However, the file copy operation took about a millisecond.

A fourth and fifth attempt went the same as the third, but still no boot.

Once again this all happened in VMWare Player 3.0.1 running on my laptop running

The CLI installer is really no different than what I have used in the past on Debian and INX. Just a bit more brief if anything. Seems very straight forward though.

I am DLing regular old antiX, and base from the same page right now to compare and see if they boot. It may be tonight before I can test though.

There are some other little minor glitches like typing in yes to one of the prompts and it only displays ye. I don't worry about such things in early release software.

BTW, I partitioned the disk as 8.3gb /, and 512mb swap."

Copied from:

url was:"http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/forum/index.php?webtag=DLRFORUM&msg=72.472"
linktext was:"http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/forum/in ... msg=72.472"
secipolla
Hi masinick. I can't remember exactly if core uses the same GRUB message as the other ISOs. But usually if you hit F1 you will have a good amount of information on cheatcodes and alternative ways to install the system.